aberdeen-music

Audio Interfaces

Humey Whilem

What do you use to record onto PC?

I finally want to get a good EP recorded, so now I'm looking at getting a good (but affordable) audio interface to complete my recording set up (so not the pricey ones). Looking at a Yamaha Audiogram, M-Audio Fast track, Tascam US-122I, Line6 Pod Studio UX1, among others. I can't find a lot of reviews online so thought I'd try it here.

Any experience/advice?

Thanks.

What do you use to record onto PC?

I finally want to get a good EP recorded, so now I'm looking at getting a good (but affordable) audio interface to complete my recording set up (so not the pricey ones). Looking at a Yamaha Audiogram, M-Audio Fast track, Tascam US-122I, Line6 Pod Studio UX1, among others. I can't find a lot of reviews online so thought I'd try it here.

Any experience/advice?

Thanks.

I haven't done much home recording on my PC but, I use my Zoom G2.1u (USB powered from the PC) as an audio interface, and do any recordings using that through CubeaceLE....seems to work really well (but like I say, I'm still experimenting myself!)

Worth looking at as its reasonably cheap.....(LE comes packaged with the Zoom pedal)

Check it out here:

G2.1u

, ive got an Alesis Multimix 18 USB, so that when i can afford drum mics i can use that to record them in.

i almost bought the firewire version of that but now im led to believe they hav discontinued it, so now im concidering the focusrite saffire pro 40, its not too expensive and all the write-ups iv seen have been quiet possative

I Use the line6 Tone port as well going into Logic 8 Pro, ive got an Alesis Multimix 18 USB, so that when i can afford drum mics i can use that to record them in.

The only problem with that is that you can't record each of the drum tracks separately. It's alright if you know exactly how loud each drum needs to be before over dubbing, but if you don't then its super annoying.

For this reason I went for the Alesis iO14, it only has 4 mic preamps, but you can connect a set of rack preamps via ADAT (eg. Behringer ada800) It can handle up to 14 separate channels, which will be a lot of use when I get round to recording drums. Been temped to just buy a shite set of frum mics like them t-bone ones you get off thomann. there like 88 quid and will do for practicing how to record, mic posi, how to mix. I know you can't polish a turd and all that, but with some of the mixing tips you can get you can make the turd look considerably better. From there I can upgrade each mic/set of mics a piece at a time.

Protools does my head in, but i'd love to be really fluent at it. Not at a clue how to work it :down:

It's really easy man, I taught myself. But I'm sure there are heaps of online tutorials or books you can buy.

Sure there's a billion things I probably can't do in protools, but I can still easily do enough to record some pretty cool stuff.

M Audio stuff is usually good, I've used the both theDelta 44 and 1010 PCI cards and they are great, depending on your Computer and software, PCI/PCI express/Whatever the state of the art is in internal interfacing can be swifter than external USB/Firewire devices, although there probably isn't much in it by now. A mate got an Edirol interface, with a breakout mixer, and he says it is one of the best bits of gear he has used, and he has used a fair bit. This is no help really, widening the options rather than narrowing them down, but hey. In the meantime you could use ASIO for All, with your soundchip, it might just work. ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

Most DAWs are a headfuck at first, but once you suss one of them, much of what you have learned can be transferable to other DAWs, but you still need to learn their glitches, quirks and nomenclature issues (eg Track bounce is called audio mixdown in Cubase).

Most DAWs are a headfuck at first, but once you suss one of them, much of what you have learned can be transferable to other DAWs,

That's what I dont like about Protools. Every other DAW i've worked with seems to be easily transferrable. I started off using cubase and then moved onto a little bit with ableton and found my way round it easy, but transferring things learnt from cubase to pro tools seems so tedious.

If it takes a second to do it in cubase it'll take a good minute to do it in protools from my experience....possibly* cuz im shite.

*definitely.

Ah well, Cubase can handle just about anything that Pro Tools can, and has better MIDI Functionality, due the fact that Steinberg invented VST protocol, so no need to switch unless you need all that Beat Detective Audio Quantise stuff, and I'm told than Cubase 5 (or fitever the new one is called) does all that as well.* Its more important to feel comfortable with basic DAW handling, than to have all the newest functionality.

*Although Pro Tools is more Industry Standard for moving projects about different studios etc.

I use a Presonus Firepod, aiming to get another one so I can daisy chain them together for 16 i/o.

The preamps are fairly characterless, but useable. It'd be great if it had a variable impedance function. I'd like to get some more pres with a bit of character. Got my eye on a couple of Golden Age Project PRE-73s, which are modelled on the Neve 1073 (allegedly). They sound great.