aberdeen-music

MSN/Hotmail Problems

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

For the past few days I've been unable to sign into MSN Messenger and I am hit with the following message:

"We Can't sign you in to Windows Live Messenger

Signing into Windows Live Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

Click troubleshoot to fix this problem."

So I do, and I am presented with this:

"Failed to connect to the service. This could be due to improper proxy or firewall settings. Please review your proxy and firewall settings. Proxy settings can be accessed through Windows Live Messenger Options. For Firewall settings, please see the retailer's instructions."

Can anyone advise me on what to do or what is wrong?

Guest idol_wild
Tried temporarily disabling your Firewall and other such Internet protection gizmos? Might be a setting automatically rejecting connection to a program it might deem as malicious.

Yeah, tried this.

Should I also add that when I try to visit hotmail, I just get a blank page?

Sounds like you've had your accounts frozen. Theres a virus out there which lays dorment and activates randomly. You'll find messenger listed under Windows components to uninstall it but if it is frozen by this thing then that won't help. You need to contact microsoft and go through a lengthy proceedure to recover everything. One way of finding out if it is the virus is to try the forgotten password scenario and go to answer Security Question, if this has been changed to "What is your favourite historical person" and it wasn't before then its defo the virus! The answer to the question is always King Henry but it doesn't work...

Guest idol_wild
Sounds like you've had your accounts frozen. Theres a virus out there which lays dorment and activates randomly. You'll find messenger listed under Windows components to uninstall it but if it is frozen by this thing then that won't help. You need to contact microsoft and go through a lengthy proceedure to recover everything. One way of finding out if it is the virus is to try the forgotten password scenario and go to answer Security Question, if this has been changed to "What is your favourite historical person" and it wasn't before then its defo the virus! The answer to the question is always King Henry but it doesn't work...

Thanks for this. It's odd - I can log in to hotmail from my work computer no problem, but nothing on my own laptop. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no luck.

The hotmail page is still completely blank from this laptop. Odd.

Guest idol_wild
The virus should affect your account no matter where you log in from but obviously won't physically be on other computers. It could be something really simple like cookies if you can get access elsewhere!

Cheers min. Just accessed hotmail. Still stumped with Windows Live Messenger, though. :down:

Edit: Would it be worthwhile to also say at this point that I am failing to access anything through iTunes (like the store and CD track names, etc) as well? There must be some sort of network/proxy/server failure somewhere. Does this sound probable?

Hmm...I have a feeling that it might be related to your Trojan Horse problems elsewhere - have you tried going through the link I posted on the other thread?

It *may* be something to do with a virus screwing up your network settings locally, but I'm not savvy enough to know just what to fix. It's more than likely a local problem rather than a network problem, especially if you're on a mainstream ISP.

Guest idol_wild
Hmm...I have a feeling that it might be related to your Trojan Horse problems elsewhere - have you tried going through the link I posted on the other thread?

It *may* be something to do with a virus screwing up your network settings locally, but I'm not savvy enough to know just what to fix. It's more than likely a local problem rather than a network problem, especially if you're on a mainstream ISP.

Yeah, I think you're probably correct. I'll go through that link now. I had a quint squint of it at work today. Useful looking post - thank you. :up:

Yeah, I think you're probably correct. I'll go through that link now. I had a quint squint of it at work today. Useful looking post - thank you. :up:

No problem, I can vouch for it - I managed to get some god awful spyware the other day, and going through that managed to solve the problem completely (at least, as far as I'm aware!). It'll take a good while though, so get comfy!

The level of advice on that forum is unbelievable, people really do know their stuff on there.

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Clearly what's happened is you didn't forward one of those emails from Microsoft about how they are running out of usernames, so you have to forward the email to 10 people to prove your account is still active or they'll delete it. Let this be a lesson to us all.