aberdeen-music

Looking for a new Snare Drum

Rick Faulkner

I am looking to purchase a new snare and trying to wade my way through the countless option available. I play rock music and I am looking for a snare with a nice fat sound that will cut through.

I currently have a Tama 14 x 5 1/2 birch snare, but find it too bright with too much over ring. I have tried all head and tuning options and have given up trying to get a nice fat sound out it.

I am looking to get some info on others use to narrow my search in finding a snare that will produce a nice warm fat sound, but still cut through.

Any suggestions greatly appriciated.

i use a Pearl Chad Smith signature and i find this very versatile as if the skin is very tight, the drum will sound just like its from the chili's tunes, you can hear this on the chili's album "live at hyde park." I use it with the skin much looser and it still sounds amazing. the drum itself is essentially a steel drum with a deep sound. i think you can pick one up for under 150 quid

• 4 weeks later...

This is only my opinion and probably stupid to say, as you'll probably already know this, but if you're wanting a snare that'll cut through when you playing, and one which has an overall nicer, clearer tone, i suggest buying a snare made from steel instead of wood. Maple shells are rlly good, but steel shells seem to give an overall better sound quality with snares. Bruce Millers have a good few snares

This was probably no help Lol, but ah well

I am looking to purchase a new snare and trying to wade my way through the countless option available. I play rock music and I am looking for a snare with a nice fat sound that will cut through.

I currently have a Tama 14 x 5 1/2 birch snare, but find it too bright with too much over ring. I have tried all head and tuning options and have given up trying to get a nice fat sound out it.

I am looking to get some info on others use to narrow my search in finding a snare that will produce a nice warm fat sound, but still cut through.

Any suggestions greatly appriciated.

Something that always gets overlooked; have you considered different snares? A standard 20 strand will do most people fine but something a bit more substancial like 24 would give you a more fat, snare-ie sound. If you use less then it's more the sound of the drum that you get.

Birch is quite bright with a lot of high end. Maple has much lower, warmer tones that might suit you better. Steel is ultra bright so I don't think you'd be after that. If you fancied trying metal, brass is a bit darker sounding than steel so I'd recommend trying that. Bronze is warm but very cutting but also very expensive.

The last thing I have to say is that does your picture have Evans EC2 heads on the kit? Evans are pretty much the brightest and most ringy heads on the market. I use Remo and while the coatings wear off quite quickly, they generally give a darker, much more vintage sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought myself a DW Collector's Series 13x6 snare which just happened to be sitting in BM's matching the style and finish of my kit. More to the point, even still with the stock DW batter on it, I can get a very thick tone out of it, and can even produce a bit of over ring if you tune it to get that. Also has one hell of a rim shot and click. I picked it up for 369 but I think that was a bit of a bargain, especially taking a look around some of the ones online. Always hard to tell with custom drums.