aberdeen-music

Jamie T tonight in Moshulu?

Johnny Mac

See, why couldn't you have posted that in the first place, instead of calling people morons and telling people they can't do their jobs?

I said there are hundreds at uni, which there are. There are also a healthy amount around town; about as many as anybody else puts up. It's a bit much to assume that because you can't see any in Bruce Millars, that must mean there are hardly any anywhere. Also, I'd say that postering is probably a harder job for Moshulu compared with some other prmoters because of the sheer number of gigs on. Maybe a monthly listings poster like The Tunnels have would be a good idea.

I agree. So does Steven Milne it would appear, which is probably why he apologised for forgetting to put one up. As he said, you can only do so many things at once so I'm sure that occasionally things slip through the net. The truth is that the vast majority of Moshulu shows are publicised on this website.

I know, I didn't say it was. Yet it is interesting that you picked up on those genres; clearly they are the most popular around here. I guess what I mean is that there is more than a slight whiff of musical snobbery about some gigs that are anounced here, which would discourage people from posting about similar gigs in the future. We've all done it. I would say that this site is definetely pretty niche in that it's in effect a bit of a closed community and can be pretty hostile. This is probably true of the Aberdeen music 'scene' in general, and probably why we don't do so well in the grand scheme of things.

Umm, I'd disagree with this too. Everyone else was being pretty measured; I don't really understand why you totally exploded in a blazing storm of rage earlier in the thread. We're all on the same side, after all.

Err, i said nothing in that post that i haven't said previously in the thread. I still don't think that most promoters in this city do their job properly. Though i agree calling Ross a moron was a touch harsh, the guy was struggling with a fairly basic concept.

There a hundreds of Moshulu posters up at the uni campus and at various points around town.

Either that's a badly worded sentence or you have changed the wording to suit yourself. What part of my post said that i only look at posters in Bruce Millers? I seem to recall outlining both One-Up and Tunnels in there as well...

I agree, there would be a lot of common sense in compiling a monthly gig-listings poster for Moshulu. I find it surprising that there isn't one already. I don't understand the last comment at all. Hen is in Millers with a fist full of posters for gigs each week, as is the lad from the Lemon Tree. I think that both put on more gigs/ events than Moshulu if we're being honest about it. Moshulu isn't open every night and sometimes there is more than one gig running at the Tunnels at the same time. So it's not really "hard" for Moshulu in relation to the fact that if other venues can do it i'm sure they can.

There are always Moshulu gigs that aren't publicised on here. I don't know whether Steven sometimes thinks that it wouldn't be worth his while to post them on here due to them maybe not being aimed at the perceived social cross-section on here (incidentally, i used Metal and Indie as they were the most obvious examples)

Why have such a negative perception of this site? We could make things a bit more bearable for newcomers and we should but that shouldn't mean that current posters should feel like they should hold their tongues. Maybe there should be a bit more give and take. IMP put on some rather diverse gigs musically and yet people don't seem to mock their gig postings so people shouldn't feel afraid to let people on here know about gigs.

I did not explode in a blazing storm of rage. I pity the fool who thought that was the extent of my rage, i was in my pants and drinking coffee at the time and no blood vessels were burst in the process :D

Err, i said nothing in that post that i haven't said previously in the thread.

EXACTLY! You just said it without taking cheap shots left, right and centre.

Either that's a badly worded sentence or you have changed the wording to suit yourself. What part of my post said that i only look at posters in Bruce Millers? I seem to recall outlining both One-Up and Tunnels in there as well...

It's patently a badly worded sentence, there obviously aren't hundreds of posters in separate individual locations in the town centre. I think you know what I meant. As for the second part, there ARE Moshulu posters in One-Up! And details of tickets they are selling for forthcoming events!

Hen is in Millers with a fist full of posters for gigs each week, as is the lad from the Lemon Tree. I think that both put on more gigs/ events than Moshulu if we're being honest about it. Moshulu isn't open every night and sometimes there is more than one gig running at the Tunnels at the same time. So it's not really "hard" for Moshulu in relation to the fact that if other venues can do it i'm sure they can.

Yeah, but Tunnels especially is choc-full of gigs run by outside promoters. In effect, there are loads of Tunnels promoters at any given point, each advertising their own gigs. So in that respect, promotion is a lot more manageable for them, no?

We could make things a bit more bearable for newcomers and we should but that shouldn't mean that current posters should feel like they should hold their tongues. Maybe there should be a bit more give and take. IMP put on some rather diverse gigs musically and yet people don't seem to mock their gig postings so people shouldn't feel afraid to let people on here know about gigs.

So we agree on this :) I would say IMP put on brilliant, but fairly niche, 'trendy' gigs that go down very well and are well suited to this site. This is probably the ideal place for them to advertise. Moshulu put on more 'mainstream' acts, so they have to use other methods to reach the unwashed masses. Like Facebook. And postering at uni.

I did not explode in a blazing storm of rage. I pity the fool who thought that was the extent of my rage, i was in my pants and drinking coffee at the time and no blood vessels were burst in the process :D

Haha, fair enough! Although your posts did come across as more than a little aggresive...

IMP put on some rather diverse gigs musically and yet people don't seem to mock their gig postings so people shouldn't feel afraid to let people on here know about gigs.

That's probably because most people on here don't actually give a flying fuck about our gigs, based on the last few gig attendances.

:up:

I would say IMP put on brilliant, but fairly niche, 'trendy' gigs that go down very well and are well suited to this site. This is probably the ideal place for them to advertise.

This website is probably the first place I post listings, to be honest.

I would draw the line at 'trendy' though, which would indicate that a lot of people come to our gigs. But I'm repeating myself now. So I'll stop.

Without wanting to stir things any further, but there were plenty of my mates who have never been to gigs outwith the usual AECC stuff, who'd never set foot in Moshulu in their lives, that had known bout this for ages and had a whale of a time. So minus the mistake of not putting the listings on this site (that proved uncostly seeing as the gig sold out thus job done) I'd say its been successful promotion purely cos its got plenty of folk outwith the 'scene' to head along. Now fair enough Jamie T is pretty mainstream, but it might well have a knock on effect in encouraging more people to check out live music in Aberdeen.

I'd also like to add that all my friends who keep a tab on gigs in the city knew about it. I certainly knew about it well in advance although can't for the life of me remember where I read about/seen it.

I just don't see how a gig that sells out can be accused of having been badly promoted. Can't speak of other Moshulu gigs as I haven't seen the attendance, but I also can't recall missing anything I'd be interested in there.

Are only certain people allowed to go to certain gigs?

No. You missed my point. Which was that certain groups of people will happily go to see things at the AECC and are in no way inspired to check out other live music. Unless it's another band of the ilk they like. Whereas someone like myself will happily go see Ian Brown at the AECC (well actually I won't anymore because the last 2 times I've seen him he was gash so I'm not wasting cash again) and also smaller gigs at Tunnels or wherever.

No. You missed my point. Which was that certain groups of people will happily go to see things at the AECC and are in no way inspired to check out other live music. Unless it's another band of the ilk they like. Whereas someone like myself will happily go see Ian Brown at the AECC (well actually I won't anymore because the last 2 times I've seen him he was gash so I'm not wasting cash again) and also smaller gigs at Tunnels or wherever.

Ah i see. This is true...though going to a gig at the AECC could inspire you to go to gigs at Tunnels, Drummonds etc.....