aberdeen-music

Jamie T tonight in Moshulu?

Johnny Mac

In what way?

Well its one thing for people to head out to AECC once every year, but another to head to Moshulu for a gig. Its obviously an entirely different experience than an arena gig and is a different mind-set to acknowledge any live music exists outside paying 36 to see a band in a soul-less barn.

I know I started exploring the live scene more after my first 'mid-level' gig, whereas had little to no interest/knowledge when I had only experienced the big Aberdeen gigs.

The same way all the neds who go to the AECC to see Ian Brown etc are inspired to check out other live music...oh hang on I see a flaw in the plan...

No, I was saying that the stereotypical AECC go'ers will rarely check out other gigs in the city.

But here, we have an example where they have gone to Moshulu and seen a great gig in a much better atmosphere for live music for a fraction of the price. The very fact that they heard about it and bought a ticket shows the promotion for this gig can't have been as utterly disasterous as is being made out in this thread by a couple of people.

And, HOPEFULLY, their good experience will make them add Moshulu to their facebook/join this website/keep an ear out, in order to see what else is going on.

Ahh, I can't believe Slow Club played last night and I wasn't there. Can't blame anyone for that though seeing as it was a last minute thing.

As for the promotion of Moshulu gigs, as someone mentioned before, they are listed in pretty much every major music magazine gig listing section which always seems like the logical place to check gig listing in my eyes. Don't really see what more people want!

Ahh, I can't believe Slow Club played last night and I wasn't there. Can't blame anyone for that though seeing as it was a last minute thing.

As for the promotion of Moshulu gigs, as someone mentioned before, they are listed in pretty much every major music magazine gig listing section which always seems like the logical place to check gig listing in my eyes. Don't really see what more people want!

A slap in the face and a quick run down of gigs for the week just as you recover from the initial shock of being slapped by a random PR guy on a Monday morning as you walk into work.

Yeah, we do. I'm still waiting on Ross Calder coming in to see me with a complete Aberdeen gig listing. I wait with baited breath.

Damn I just cancelled my full listings A3 posters as well as I had to make too many changes. So for your benefit and as a bit of a cheap promo opportunity here indeed is our full listings at the minute...

WED 1 JULY - THE MUSCLE CLUB + Get In Get Out, Come On Gang & Cryoverbillionaires (Tunnels)

THU 9 JULY - THE ANSWERING MACHINE + Redfoot The Fence + The Elizabeths (Tunnels)

WED 15 JULY - THERE WILL BE FIREWORKS + support (Drummonds)

THU 23 JULY - BE A FAMILIAR + Mark McCabe & The Tearoom Posse + I See Shapes (Tunnels)

SUN 26 JULY - GLINT (NYC) + Atlas Skye & support (Tunnels)

TUE 8 SEPT - ICRYLIC IQON + Farewell Singapore & support (Drummonds)

WED 23 SEPT - TRAPPED IN KANSAS + Cast of The Capital + Venice Ahoy + El Dog (Drummonds)

SAT 26 SEPT - TIM AND SAMS THE TIM AND SAM BAND WITH TIM AND SAM + Lions.Chase.Tigers & support (Tunnels)

Hope that helps! Posters are at the printers just now. I dare say I will pop into Bruce Millers.

PS I appreciate the people sticking up for AGP. I feel we do a lot of hard work for our shows which has been reflected in turnouts. We are however not perfect and will continue to try to improve!

Damn I just cancelled my full listings A3 posters as well as I had to make too many changes. So for your benefit and as a bit of a cheap promo opportunity here indeed is our full listings at the minute...

WED 1 JULY - THE MUSCLE CLUB + Get In Get Out, Come On Gang & Cryoverbillionaires (Tunnels)

THU 9 JULY - THE ANSWERING MACHINE + Redfoot The Fence + The Elizabeths (Tunnels)

THU 23 JULY - BE A FAMILIAR + Mark McCabe & The Tearoom Posse + I See Shapes (Tunnels)

WED 23 SEPT - TRAPPED IN KANSAS + Cast of The Capital + Venice Ahoy + El Dog (Drummonds)

SAT 26 SEPT - TIM AND SAMS THE TIM AND SAM BAND WITH TIM AND SAM + Lions.Chase.Tigers & support (Tunnels)

Hope that helps! Posters are at the printers just now. I dare say I will pop into Bruce Millers.

PS I appreciate the people sticking up for AGP. I feel we do a lot of hard work for our shows which has been reflected in turnouts. We are however not perfect and will continue to try to improve!

I was only messing chief, but feel free to pop in with posters (i was sure you did anyway). Cheers. :up:

Not good enough Ross, you should really be standing outside Markies with a megaphone so people can find out what's going on.

Like the kind of people who ask me "can you just email me when a band you think I'll like is playing so I don't have to look through your website" Then list the kind of music they like.

Seriously.

Has happened more than once

For fuck's sake.

:laughing:

• 4 weeks later...

Wait a minute...

I'm not a cunt - people just want preferential treatment and when they get it you're a hero and when they don't you're the worst. Big deal, life goes on innit.

The Streets sold out in like 3 days and The Secret Machines tour was supposed to be a Gonzo tour with Prefuse 73 supporting and Zane Dj'ing and as part of an album promo tour and it bloody ended up being none of the 4. Gutted I was, cracking band but stung us for like a grand on tickets. Broke with the bar though, so all good and the band were all about it. I seem to remember the figure 394 as attendance - which i thought was pretty fucking sweet actually.

Aberdeen's hard as fuck. I can't remember any real stinkers that should've been sell-outs; we always really bombed on brand new bands where we relied on locals or older bands, as the we could never really break into the Lemon Tree's market. Alex Harvey Band and Rob Love were particularily horrid - and booking locals, in hindsight, was definitly always my weakness but sometimes there simply isn't enough hours in the day and with what became obvious financial problems within RFR as a whole - I didn't really have much cash to play with even though the music side was always profitable and we always strived to pay every band if it was at all possible. Local bands in Aberdeen get the best deal of anywhere I've known in the UK - honestly.

Anyways, you live and learn; from what i'm hearing at MAMA HQ down saaauufff is that big changes are afoot at 'Moshulu' and they'll be cracking provided the promo team retract their finger out of their arse. I think Stevie's class (I hired the loon, after all) but for the life of me I can't understand the apparant downturn in live music considering the infrastructure Moshulu has became a part of.

It still bemuses me that venues don't have subscribable blogs - every time you announce a gig you stick all the details in a post and all the subsribers get an email. Much easier and more practical than mailing lists or twitter. Aberdeen's a wee bit of an anomaly; National Ads don't seem to dent much. But bang out a hundred a3's and chuck them to Al Caithness to distribute and bob's your uncle. That, up to date website listings and maybe a monthly King Tuts style flyer distributed and it should be easy enough - bookings the harder bit.

I remember not selling out Blood Brothers or Pretty Girls Make Graves and being completely distraught about it but alas it is Aberdeen and in the grand music bizo zeitgeist it's always going to be a secondary market.

Still, I'm up Wednesday through Sunday so if anyone wants a little promoter crashcourse - I'm pretty cheap ;)