aberdeen-music

Jamie T tonight in Moshulu?

Johnny Mac

So i should have to pay to find out what gigs are going on in my local area? I didnt have facebook until last night so can you suggest how, unless i was willing to part with money, i would find out about gigs in moshulu, keeping in mind i dont live in the town centre.

The Fly, The Skinny and NME on line are free.

Obviously posters are generally in town so you may well miss them. I just dont think its that hard to know, thats all. Its not like they miss a lot of their gigs on here either. Just happens this one wasnt on it.

Im not saying Moshulu are perfect but he's got a pretty tough job doing most of the booking/promoting largely on his own. Its fine for me, Im only doing 5 or 6 shows a month. Much harder to keep track of that as a full time job I would think.

The Fly, The Skinny and NME on line are free.

Obviously posters are generally in town so you may well miss them. I just dont think its that hard to know, thats all. Its not like they miss a lot of their gigs on here either. Just happens this one wasnt on it.

Im not saying Moshulu are perfect but he's got a pretty tough job doing most of the booking/promoting largely on his own. Its fine for me, Im only doing 5 or 6 shows a month. Much harder to keep track of that as a full time job I would think.

i never knew that you could read those online, i dont tend to bother ever reading them but now i know i can get gig listings there i may do thanks.

As for the full time job bit, if i miss things from my job then i get into trouble and im not doing my job properly, i would have thought that if your full time job was to book and promote gigs and you missed advertising said gigs on a very popular local music forum then you wouldnt be doing your job properly, maybe im a bit cynical tho.

2. I don't read the music press. It's a waste of my valuable money and doesn't have anything much worthwhile reading-wise in it for me.

Not getting involved, just to say, 2 of the publications mentioned (The Skinny and The Fly) are free. I know we have them in the Bassment, i'm sure you can pick them up elsewhere too. The Fly especially has heaps of gig listings, not just for Moshulu, if you can bear flicking past a few of pages of indie bands, it's worth it and won't cost you a bean.

Also just to go back to what someone else said, the Moshulu website is operated by head office, not the venue directly. As far as i know trying to get it updated is about as futile an effort as getting involved in one of these on-line shit flinging contests.

The Facebook however is updated by staff on-site on a regular basis.

I live in Stonehaven and the only time I may wander about Aberdeen is at lunchtime but I don't have much time. I'm not going to start buying shite like the NME and Kerrang on teh offchance that Moshulu have some decent gigs coming up. This website is my main source of information regarding upcoming gigs and I'm sure this is the case for a lot of folk who live in the outlying towns. Plus obviously for folk who live in Aberdeen itself. Surely a quick post for each and every gig in Moshulu isn't beyond the realms of possibility for even the busiest promoter? The attitude of some of the promoters on here seems to be increasingly shite, 'go and find your own info', surely the aim should be to promote gigs by the most means available? Or if there's a high confidence level in the artist to sell the gig themselves why bother? Is that the jist?

I am only sticking up for Steven. As a promotetr myself I have no such attitude. You can find out about our gigs at

MySpace.com - AGP(Next show: THE MUSCLE CLUB - July 1st@Tunnels) - 27 - Male - UK - www.myspace.com/aberdeengigpromotions

ABERDEEN GIG PROMOTIONS - Home

NME

Kerrang

Snafu Mag (free)

The Skinny (free)

The Fly (free)

Here - all our shows have threads

Flyers in tunnels/drummonds

Posters - One Up, Tunnels, Drummonds, The Buttery, Beautiful Mountain, Kilau, RnB, various bakers, takeaways, Captain Toms etc etc

AGP Facebook

Evening Express listings

Home

and loads of other gig listing websites

We at AGP definitely dont excpect people to know about our shows without us making the effort.

1 - The thread moans about lack of posters for Moshulu gigs - I am merely stating what happens/may have happened to Stevens posters. I am aware that people ripping down my posters is not your problem. I would say that is probably more likely to be your attitude.

2 - If you dont want to read the music press fair enough, however it is then a little ironic to then complain about not knowing whats going on

3 - Facebooks a pretty handy way of getting gig invites - you would indeed have known about all Moshulus shows in a simple click - a bit like this site.

4 - Most people work during the day - most also like to eat. Fairly stupid point youve made there to be honest. Most would still make it to get tickets for shows if they cared that much

5 - Aberdeen Music is indeed brilliant for HELPING promote a show which is why I use it. It isnt the be all and end all. Generally a up and coming bands gig thread may get 200-500 views which I would imagine would maybe get about 10 people along out of a 100 crowd (obviosuly a guess based on my own shows) I totally appreciate this as a tool though.

6 - mmm, I would say just because I have an opinion probably doesnt make me a "moron" however if Stevens saying he updates the site yet it isnt always reflected then I would say Im accurate in saying Steven cant go and re design or get a new website.

You seem unwilling to seek out any info even though its everywhere. I just dont see how anyone can moan about not knowing about shows when there are so many places to get the info,. Do you want someone to come to Bruce Millers and tell you whats on every week - I would be willing to do that but its at the other end of town and I only get 1/2 an hour for lunch.

1. I'm not with you on this point at all. The last part makes no sense either.

2. I use the internet a lot. Totally ironic.

3. As i said i don't like getting spammed on that site. I know Moshulu has a myspace but i don't recall seeing any bulletins about Jamie T.

4. Not really, it's called priorities. I would have no problem sacrificing a lunch break to go and get tickets for a gig that i know is on. However, i'm not going down to one-up to look and see what tickets are available for whatever gigs just on the off chance that i'll see something i like.

5. Glad you agree on that point. You'll notice i didn't say it was the only tool therefore cutting out the market that use it for that purpose doesn't make particularly good business sense in my humble opinion.

6. No, having an opinion does not make you a moron. Missing the point does. Changing and updating are two slightly different things last time i checked their definitions.

I'm not unwilling to look elsewhere, but i am also not always able to go to the lengths you seem to deem necessary to find out about things that you and Steven are both getting paid to do. I don't have endless amounts of s to buy magazines i won't read. I have other things to do in my free time and the internet (especially this site as it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that people promoting gigs in Aberdeen might want to use this site to promote their gigs) is the place i rely on to keep me up to date with whats going on gig-wise (along with word of mouth obviously).

You and Steven get paid to do a job. Do it better.

Not getting involved, just to say, 2 of the publications mentioned (The Skinny and The Fly) are free. I know we have them in the Bassment, i'm sure you can pick them up elsewhere too. The Fly especially has heaps of gig listings, not just for Moshulu, if you can bear flicking past a few of pages of indie bands, it's worth it and won't cost you a bean.

Also just to go back to what someone else said, the Moshulu website is operated by head office, not the venue directly. As far as i know trying to get it updated is about as futile an effort as getting involved in one of these on-line shit flinging contests.

The Facebook however is updated by staff on-site on a regular basis.

Very true, i do pick one of those up if i'm in a venue for a gig and i see one. I'm not always in venues for gigs though.

It never used to be. If it is now, then that's something that should be changed. You might want to make your employers aware that some customers are unsatisfied with the approach that they use for keeping their customers up to date with what's going on at their night-club/venue.

Nobody's flinging shit. I'm just a dissatisfied customer making a complaint at the current trend towards a rather lax attitude towards promoting in this city where promoters want everyone else to do the job that they get paid to do for them.

:laughing:

No, no, just to forgot to say the Moshulu myspace is fucked, Jamesy gave the password to some little PR monkey who changed it and buggered off, so you're unlikely to see any bulletins about Moshulu stuff until Myspace customer support stop being difficult and let us reset our details.

mmm, I dont get paid to do a job. I run AGP and quite often make losses on shows. I get no set pay and this is a second "job" for me. I have nothing to do with Stevens promotions. You will find each and every AGP gig on this site as well as our myspace and actual website being fully updated on a daily basis.

We do heaps and heaps of promotion - a lot more than Moshulu does - but then we dont do nearly as many gigs.

mmm, I dont get paid to do a job. I run AGP and quite often make losses on shows. I get no set pay and this is a second "job" for me. I have nothing to do with Stevens promotions. You will find each and every AGP gig on this site as well as our myspace and actual website being fully updated on a daily basis.

We do heaps and heaps of promotion - a lot more than Moshulu does - but then we dont do nearly as many gigs.

Dude, he was being humorous.

:up:

I am only sticking up for Steven. As a promotetr myself I have no such attitude. You can find out about our gigs at

MySpace.com - AGP(Next show: THE MUSCLE CLUB - July 1st@Tunnels) - 27 - Male - UK - www.myspace.com/aberdeengigpromotions

ABERDEEN GIG PROMOTIONS - Home

NME

Kerrang

Snafu Mag (free)

The Skinny (free)

The Fly (free)

Here - all our shows have threads

Flyers in tunnels/drummonds

Posters - One Up, Tunnels, Drummonds, The Buttery, Beautiful Mountain, Kilau, RnB, various bakers, takeaways, Captain Toms etc etc

AGP Facebook

Evening Express listings

Home

and loads of other gig listing websites

We at AGP definitely dont excpect people to know about our shows without us making the effort.

The point myself and others have been making so there wasn't really a need for you to get involved. It doesn't take long to post on here and it's a well used source of info for those who can't take the time to obtain/look for other sources mentioned. In fact it would probably be interesting to gauge the level of promotion on this forum based on the perceived popularity of the band playing Moshulu. I bet there's an interesting connection there.

Fair enough if you actually have time to wander about town and buy sandwiches then yes you might just see one of those oh so rare Moshulu posters.

I use this website regularly to try and keep up to date with what's on as i don;t have time to fanny about in town.

I work in Bruce Millers, you know, that big shop that sells guitars/drums/basses/cds/hifi equipment that's been in Aberdeen and providing musical things for over 100 years. Can't remember the last time i saw a poster for a Moshulu gig in there. Tunnels and Lemon Tree can be arsed walking up town every now and then and they're both further away than you. Fuck, you could even buy a sandwich there!

If you know the website is shit, and i'm guessing you have done for a while, do something about it. An up to date glorified calender is better than an out of date glorified calender.

I was just meaning that you guys have word of mouth on your side there, not a pop at your bands.

To be honest, i didn't like the way you came across all "well you obviously didn't make the effort to look. You snooze, you lose" with regard to having sold out the gig.

The effort that Moshulu and the people that run it these days make is absolutely shocking. I have had the pleasure of working there as a dj, an outside promoter and have played there as well all under different managements and also as a paying customer to the club and gigs and i can honestly say that in the past year or so it has become a shadow of its former self.

This has blown way up and i would say in some cases well out of proportion.

Firstly - You dont have to be condescending to make a point - I asked where you worked - its a genuine question - you said the biggest music shop - could be r and b, could be hmv! It was only a question. And now that i know we can poster there - we will - but i wasnt aware you could do so there until now.

The website is out of my hands - the current one i do my best with but the new one that will hopefully be done before the end of time is run by head office.

HOWEVER, i was just thinking..

The website cant be out of date - how is it out of date?

its linked directly to my calender - i cant put a show on sale without adding it to the calender / website so the second it gets confirmed it goes up.

How is it out of date? if you mean the content on the band description - maybe i see your point - it links to a database that all the companies bands use so if one person adapts that bands bio then itll change for everyone so it can be slightly inaccuarate.

There was no snobbery intended in saying what i said - i meant that if you missed it on here it doesnt mean it wasnt promoted, and that the gig is still sold out which means people must have heard of it somehow. And again for the eighth time as Ross said this site HELPS - its not the be all and end all - so no, i dont think ill be sacked for not putting a show on the forum when a show sold out.

No-one is saying - go find your own info- ross has made some good points on how people can find out about gigs for free easily - i dont need to add to that.

As for moshulu - it does need an overhaul - im with everyone on that.

The toilets are equally as awful as they always have been - your preaching to the choir on that one. The general darkness and doom feel isnt ideal and it could do with more lighting.

But then again this is good for the clubnights.

On a postive note..

The old carpet is gone and the new one is cleaned weekly - one of the biggest gripes people had.

The promotion is better - bands like the Streets, Secret Machines etc have played moshulu with no promotion whatsoever and not sold many tickets (this isnt a pop at jamesy, as ive said in other threads the guy was swamped and ive a lot of respect for him). People were moaning that they didnt know - so you cant say that the previous era was foolproof! There were a few clangers which everyone has when they have a lot on.

Posters go out twice to three times a week, most gigs go on these forums unless someone beats me to it and im not going to list our advertising lists but I can assure people that efforts are done to promote shows as much as possible.

Despite the credit crunch / recession etc of late our gigs have done as well as expected and sales have been as they should.

The promotion is better - bands like the Streets, Secret Machines etc have played moshulu with no promotion whatsoever and not sold many tickets (this isnt a pop at jamesy, as ive said in other threads the guy was swamped and ive a lot of respect for him). People were moaning that they didnt know - so you cant say that the previous era was foolproof! There were a few clangers which everyone has when they have a lot on.

The Secret Machines played at Moshulu?!?!?! Fuck's sake! When?

On a postive note..

The old carpet is gone and the new one is cleaned weekly - one of the biggest gripes people had.

Out of interest, why do they insist on laying more carpet? I was in a few weeks back and it was still sticky and disgusting or have they laid another one since the refurb? Would some cheapish laminate not be more easily maintained?

Very true, i do pick one of those up if i'm in a venue for a gig and i see one. I'm not always in venues for gigs though.

It never used to be. If it is now, then that's something that should be changed. You might want to make your employers aware that some customers are unsatisfied with the approach that they use for keeping their customers up to date with what's going on at their night-club/venue.

Nobody's flinging shit. I'm just a dissatisfied customer making a complaint at the current trend towards a rather lax attitude towards promoting in this city where promoters want everyone else to do the job that they get paid to do for them.

Fucking hell man! I take it youve always had the internet to sort out your social life, how would you have managed back in the old days when (god forbid) you might have had to use a phone to get tickets or would you believe it - some people used to have to queue for tickets to see a music show! beats me how people could have found out about bands playing?

To be honest seems to me like youve got a bit bored sitting at home and thought, now who can i take it out on?

personally i`m not too sure what else the promoters can do? load speakers? walk about with billboards on?

Fucking hell man! I take it youve always had the internet to sort out your social life, how would you have managed back in the old days when (god forbid) you might have had to use a phone to get tickets or would you believe it - some people used to have to queue for tickets to see a music show! beats me how people could have found out about bands playing?

To be honest seems to me like youve got a bit bored sitting at home and thought, now who can i take it out on?

personally i`m not too sure what else the promoters can do? load speakers? walk about with billboards on?

That's a ridiculous viewpoint, why would you continue to use archaic means when there are easier options available in teh modern age? Do you use a horse and cart rather than a train due to it being the way it was done in years gone by?

This has blown way up and i would say in some cases well out of proportion.

Firstly - You dont have to be condescending to make a point - I asked where you worked - its a genuine question - you said the biggest music shop - could be r and b, could be hmv! It was only a question. And now that i know we can poster there - we will - but i wasnt aware you could do so there until now.

The website is out of my hands - the current one i do my best with but the new one that will hopefully be done before the end of time is run by head office.

HOWEVER, i was just thinking..

The website cant be out of date - how is it out of date?

its linked directly to my calender - i cant put a show on sale without adding it to the calender / website so the second it gets confirmed it goes up.

How is it out of date? if you mean the content on the band description - maybe i see your point - it links to a database that all the companies bands use so if one person adapts that bands bio then itll change for everyone so it can be slightly inaccuarate.

There was no snobbery intended in saying what i said - i meant that if you missed it on here it doesnt mean it wasnt promoted, and that the gig is still sold out which means people must have heard of it somehow. And again for the eighth time as Ross said this site HELPS - its not the be all and end all - so no, i dont think ill be sacked for not putting a show on the forum when a show sold out.

No-one is saying - go find your own info- ross has made some good points on how people can find out about gigs for free easily - i dont need to add to that.

As for moshulu - it does need an overhaul - im with everyone on that.

The toilets are equally as awful as they always have been - your preaching to the choir on that one. The general darkness and doom feel isnt ideal and it could do with more lighting.

But then again this is good for the clubnights.

On a postive note..

Posters go out twice to three times a week, most gigs go on these forums unless someone beats me to it and im not going to list our advertising lists but I can assure people that efforts are done to promote shows as much as possible.

Despite the credit crunch / recession etc of late our gigs have done as well as expected and sales have been as they should.

Apologies if it came across as condescending but in the entire time you've been involved in the Aberdeen music scene in general i find it hard to believe that you genuinely didn't know that we have local gig posters. There's been spaces for putting them up since i was moved to Aberdeen at least (13 years ago). There are posters up for most venues that put on live music except your in there and Moshulu always used to put posters up in there.

The Streets gig was pretty well attended actually (i was there) and it wasn't marketed as a Streets gig (it was called the Beats Tour from memory). Granted, there's always things that slip under the radar.

Notice that this is not just a view held by myself. It is supported by quite a few other people on this particular site and in my social circle as well. We can't all be wrong.

No, i happen to use it now because it fits better with my social plans and the spread of my valuable time.

What's your point?

That's a ridiculous viewpoint, why would you continue to use archaic means when there are easier options available in teh modern age? Do you use a horse and cart rather than a train due to it being the way it was done in years gone by?

Yeah, thats fair enough but surely you shouldnt just sit back and rely on one source to let you know whats happening, or even one site.

I admit that there must have been an oversight when it came to putting the details of the gig on here, but if you read back then i think its totally wrong to have a go in the way he has, as far as i was reading its pretty much a personal dig!