aberdeen-music

Jamie T tonight in Moshulu?

Johnny Mac

I tried to post a thread in the gigs and events forum but it didn't show up.

So.... the moshulu site doesn't have much info regarding this gig.

Anyone know stage times?

Is there a support?

Anything?

Doors 7pm is all they seem to have.

And no, I can't phone Moshulu as am stuck in an office with no mobile reception.

Indeed. Very shoddy. Not even on the calendar here.

Sold out now apparently.... although ticketmaster still seem to be selling if you want to go.

I can't go now. Would've made an effort though if i'd fucking known it was on. I'm getting fed up of places that seem to expect you to be fucking psychic with regards to whats on. Lazy wankers.

Sorry lads but...

Theres posters for this all round town, and its on our e-shot and everything else we do - press ads, skinny ads and listings online.

No offence to Aberdeen music but its not the ONLY way to find out about gigs / promote gigs - its just one way (and a helpful resource it is which i think is great - dont get me wrong).

Yes, it was missed out on the calender / forums (my mistake) but just putting gigs on this site is not the be all and end all of promotion and there are many occasions where putting a gig on this site doesnt make a difference - you have to do a lot more than that.

650 plus other people who are going heard about it so its not like it wasnt promoted otherwise it wouldnt have sold out three days in advance.

x

Sorry lads but...

Theres posters for this all round town, and its on our e-shot and everything else we do - press ads, skinny ads and listings online.

No offence to Aberdeen music but its not the ONLY way to find out about gigs / promote gigs - its just one way (and a helpful resource it is which i think is great - dont get me wrong).

Yes, it was missed out on the calender / forums (my mistake) but just putting gigs on this site is not the be all and end all of promotion and there are many occasions where putting a gig on this site doesnt make a difference - you have to do a lot more than that.

650 plus other people who are going heard about it so its not like it wasnt promoted otherwise it wouldnt have sold out three days in advance.

x

No but promoting on here helps people who don't go around town searching for posters all day. Out of interest, i haven't seen any posters in my work for Moshulu gigs at all recently. Bit bizarre considering it is the largest music shop in Aberdeen.

Moshulu is shit these days promotion wise. Your website is quite regularly out of date, there's very little in the way of effort made outside of the usual in-crowd to let people know about things. It's all right if you're an ex-member of the Needles or their mates or if you are in/friends with the Little Kicks. Jamesy may have been a cunt but at least he did the legwork.

My guess Mr Milne, is that this gig sold itself. I wouldn't be so quick to claim some sort of cred for the job.

You really shouldn't have to dig around for details of gigs. I've missed loads of gigs in Moshulu that I didn't know were happening. Putting up posters in the venue is all well and good for people who already go there, but does nothing for those of us who don't spend much time in Bassment and Moshulu. Also as mentioned above, the Moshulu website is regularly months out of date, I've all but given up checking it.

As i said, this site is a valuable resource to finding out whats on for a lot of people but its not the be all and end all of promotion - you can put gigs on here sometimes and ive seen it make no difference whatsoever (no-one reads it / picks up on it) as many times as ive seen it be a ten page thread of excitement!

Its just one way to promote.

And you dont have to search for posters - if I go to buy a sandwich, buy a cd or stroll through town i see posters for events quite easily. Fair enough if you dont live in town - this site is more useful obviously.

Where do you work? if theres somewhere we can poster that we dont know about then well gladly send some in to you. Theres sparse places you can poster these days anyway, and especially when people rip your posters down (thats another matter for another time entirely).

The website is a massive problem - i hate it - i agree.

Its basically a glorifed calender which is long overdue an overhaul. Ive lost count of the amount of times ive been promised its being re-done so im with you on that.The way it works and the look of it are quite dated.

I dont get the comment about the band members thing?

Considering the Needles dont live here and The Little Kicks / me being in them has nothing to do with my job (two of them also live out of town).

I think if theres any kind of cleek or in-crowd its more likely seen on these boards than anywhere else - its always the same people posting / same people commenting on each others stuff - which is fine - everyones pals etc - there is an ace small community on here but i bet there are people who feel theyre outside of the cleek and to say that I only tell people in a certain circle about gigs is in-accurate and wrong. I dont particularly bother or harang the people i know to come because i dont want to be a pain to my mates unless i think its something theyll like.

And I dont take any credit for selling out a gig - Jamie T did that himself.

But with our help - its my/ my staffs job to get posters out / press and organise the events.

And thats something which was attacked so im going to obviously state my case and put my points across which was that the gig had been promoted- just not essentially on these forums but as it had sold out in advance and most people seemed to know about it it was worth saying.

I dont see anywhere where i said "I sold this gig out" - I just pointed out what had been done.

As i said, this site is a valuable resource to finding out whats on for a lot of people but its not the be all and end all of promotion - you can put gigs on here sometimes and ive seen it make no difference whatsoever (no-one reads it / picks up on it) as many times as ive seen it be a ten page thread of excitement!

Its just one way to promote.

And you dont have to search for posters - if I go to buy a sandwich, buy a cd or stroll through town i see posters for events quite easily. Fair enough if you dont live in town - this site is more useful obviously.

Where do you work? if theres somewhere we can poster that we dont know about then well gladly send some in to you. Theres sparse places you can poster these days anyway, and especially when people rip your posters down (thats another matter for another time entirely).

The website is a massive problem - i hate it - i agree.

Its basically a glorifed calender which is long overdue an overhaul. Ive lost count of the amount of times ive been promised its being re-done so im with you on that.The way it works and the look of it are quite dated.

I dont get the comment about the band members thing?

Considering the Needles dont live here and The Little Kicks / me being in them has nothing to do with my job (two of them also live out of town).

I think if theres any kind of cleek or in-crowd its more likely seen on these boards than anywhere else - its always the same people posting / same people commenting on each others stuff - which is fine - everyones pals etc - there is an ace small community on here but i bet there are people who feel theyre outside of the cleek and to say that I only tell people in a certain circle about gigs is in-accurate and wrong. I dont particularly bother or harang the people i know to come because i dont want to be a pain to my mates unless i think its something theyll like.

And I dont take any credit for selling out a gig - Jamie T did that himself.

But with our help - its my/ my staffs job to get posters out / press and organise the events.

And thats something which was attacked so im going to obviously state my case and put my points across which was that the gig had been promoted- just not essentially on these forums but as it had sold out in advance and most people seemed to know about it it was worth saying.

I dont see anywhere where i said "I sold this gig out" - I just pointed out what had been done.

Fair enough if you actually have time to wander about town and buy sandwiches then yes you might just see one of those oh so rare Moshulu posters.

I use this website regularly to try and keep up to date with what's on as i don;t have time to fanny about in town.

I work in Bruce Millers, you know, that big shop that sells guitars/drums/basses/cds/hifi equipment that's been in Aberdeen and providing musical things for over 100 years. Can't remember the last time i saw a poster for a Moshulu gig in there. Tunnels and Lemon Tree can be arsed walking up town every now and then and they're both further away than you. Fuck, you could even buy a sandwich there!

If you know the website is shit, and i'm guessing you have done for a while, do something about it. An up to date glorified calender is better than an out of date glorified calender.

I was just meaning that you guys have word of mouth on your side there, not a pop at your bands.

To be honest, i didn't like the way you came across all "well you obviously didn't make the effort to look. You snooze, you lose" with regard to having sold out the gig.

The effort that Moshulu and the people that run it these days make is absolutely shocking. I have had the pleasure of working there as a dj, an outside promoter and have played there as well all under different managements and also as a paying customer to the club and gigs and i can honestly say that in the past year or so it has become a shadow of its former self.

• Upvote 1

No fighting desired from me - just sticking in my 10 cents of opinion.

As Mr Burgandy said "If you like it you can take it if you dont you can send it right back....."

Stage Times (subject to change - DF rep will confirm upon arrival):

Doors - 7.00pm

Flashguns - 7.45pm

Jamie T 8.30pm - 10.00pm

Wow, The Doors are playing?!

:popcorn:

• Upvote 1

The effort that Moshulu and the people that run it these days make is absolutely shocking. I have had the pleasure of working there as a dj, an outside promoter and have played there as well all under different managements and also as a paying customer to the club and gigs and i can honestly say that in the past year or so it has become a shadow of its former self.

Spot on.

Gashulu has been on a downward spiral since they got rid of the Star Wars Arcade machine.

Plus, you have to love the description for their Friday nights:

Kamikazi is Aberdeens longest standing champion of rock. Every Friday expect 500+ folks in Moshulu for the biggest alternative night in the north-east. Bring your best, DJ Adam won't settle for anything less..

They are lucky to even have 50 folk through the door.

Fair enough if you actually have time to wander about town and buy sandwiches then yes you might just see one of those oh so rare Moshulu posters.

I use this website regularly to try and keep up to date with what's on as i don;t have time to fanny about in town.

I work in Bruce Millers, you know, that big shop that sells guitars/drums/basses/cds/hifi equipment that's been in Aberdeen and providing musical things for over 100 years. Can't remember the last time i saw a poster for a Moshulu gig in there. Tunnels and Lemon Tree can be arsed walking up town every now and then and they're both further away than you. Fuck, you could even buy a sandwich there!

If you know the website is shit, and i'm guessing you have done for a while, do something about it. An up to date glorified calender is better than an out of date glorified calender.

I was just meaning that you guys have word of mouth on your side there, not a pop at your bands.

To be honest, i didn't like the way you came across all "well you obviously didn't make the effort to look. You snooze, you lose" with regard to having sold out the gig.

Pretty much spot on, the place is nothing compared to what it used to be when jamsey and co were in charge. Promotion is terrible for all gigs to the point where it may as well not exist at all. I hope this changes tho cause its a great venue.

Kamikazi is Aberdeens longest standing champion of rock. Every Friday expect 500+ folks in Moshulu for the biggest alternative night in the north-east. Bring your best, DJ Adam won't settle for anything less..

longest standing champion of rock?? My fucking arse!

To be fair to Moshulu/Steven you can find out about their gigs by posters (Ive seen them - the ones that generally arent pulled down or postered over by the kind souls at a venue beginning with The and ending with Tree) Its very hard to keep track of posters. I put up close to 35 posters for all shows I do around a month/month and a half before a show, however there are few places that take them and even fewer places where your posters will remain for too long)

Theres also their facebook page, their listings are in NME, Kerrang,The Fly, they have full ads in The Skinny. If you want to buy tickets all you have to do is look at the tickets for sale list in One Ups window.

If youre that interested in music to be angry about the lack of promotion Steven is doing then I find it pretty hard to see that you couldnt find out about their shows in one of these ways?

As for their website I would imagine being a company/chain that it takes someone from their head office to change it, not just Steven.

and again if this particular gig has sold out then it cant be that badly promoted either by national press or local.

I live in Stonehaven and the only time I may wander about Aberdeen is at lunchtime but I don't have much time. I'm not going to start buying shite like the NME and Kerrang on teh offchance that Moshulu have some decent gigs coming up. This website is my main source of information regarding upcoming gigs and I'm sure this is the case for a lot of folk who live in the outlying towns. Plus obviously for folk who live in Aberdeen itself. Surely a quick post for each and every gig in Moshulu isn't beyond the realms of possibility for even the busiest promoter? The attitude of some of the promoters on here seems to be increasingly shite, 'go and find your own info', surely the aim should be to promote gigs by the most means available? Or if there's a high confidence level in the artist to sell the gig themselves why bother? Is that the jist?

To be fair to Moshulu/Steven you can find out about their gigs by posters (Ive seen them - the ones that generally arent pulled down or postered over by the kind souls at a venue beginning with The and ending with Tree) Its very hard to keep track of posters. I put up close to 35 posters for all shows I do around a month/month and a half before a show, however there are few places that take them and even fewer places where your posters will remain for too long)

Theres also their facebook page, their listings are in NME, Kerrang,The Fly, they have full ads in The Skinny. If you want to buy tickets all you have to do is look at the tickets for sale list in One Ups window.

If youre that interested in music to be angry about the lack of promotion Steven is doing then I find it pretty hard to see that you couldnt find out about their shows in one of these ways?

As for their website I would imagine being a company/chain that it takes someone from their head office to change it, not just Steven.

and again if this particular gig has sold out then it cant be that badly promoted either by national press or local.

1. I don't give a shit about people ripping down your posters. That's your problem not mine.

2. I don't read the music press. It's a waste of my valuable money and doesn't have anything much worthwhile reading-wise in it for me.

3. Facebook is my way of staying in touch with my mates who i don't see for whatever reasons. I don't like getting spammed and i didn't know Moshulu had a Facebook page.

4. I am very rarely in One-Up these days as i don't have the time to wander down there during the day when i'm working (it's at the opposite end of town from me and i only get 30 mins for lunch during which i wouldn't mind eating) and the last time i checked they weren't open at night after i finished work.

5. Aberdeen Music is a great tool for promoting gigs in Aberdeen.

6. I don't want them to change the fucking website you moron, i want them to update it. I'm sure it doesn't take 5 grown men holding hands to keep an up to date list of what gigs are on on a website. If they can spend the time dicking about on Facebook, Myspace and Bebo then they can spend the time updating the gig listings on their own website.

7. Some gigs sell themselves with little or no effort. This seems to have been one of those.

• Upvote 1

So i should have to pay to find out what gigs are going on in my local area? I didnt have facebook until last night so can you suggest how, unless i was willing to part with money, i would find out about gigs in moshulu, keeping in mind i dont live in the town centre.

you obviously missed when this point was covered.

1. I don't give a shit about people ripping down your posters. That's your problem not mine.

2. I don't read the music press. It's a waste of my valuable money and doesn't have anything much worthwhile reading-wise in it for me.

3. Facebook is my way of staying in touch with my mates who i don't see for whatever reasons. I don't like getting spammed and i didn't know Moshulu had a Facebook page.

4. I am very rarely in One-Up these days as i don't have the time to wander down there during the day when i'm working (it's at the opposite end of town from me and i only get 30 mins for lunch during which i wouldn't mind eating) and the last time i checked they weren't open at night after i finished work.

5. Aberdeen Music is a great tool for promoting gigs in Aberdeen.

6. I don't want them to change the fucking website you moron, i want them to update it. I'm sure it doesn't take 5 grown men holding hands to keep an up to date list of what gigs are on on a website. If they can spend the time dicking about on Facebook, Myspace and Bebo then they can spend the time updating the gig listings on their own website.

7. Some gigs sell themselves with little or no effort. This seems to have been one of those.

1 - The thread moans about lack of posters for Moshulu gigs - I am merely stating what happens/may have happened to Stevens posters. I am aware that people ripping down my posters is not your problem. I would say that is probably more likely to be your attitude.

2 - If you dont want to read the music press fair enough, however it is then a little ironic to then complain about not knowing whats going on

3 - Facebooks a pretty handy way of getting gig invites - you would indeed have known about all Moshulus shows in a simple click - a bit like this site.

4 - Most people work during the day - most also like to eat. Fairly stupid point youve made there to be honest. Most would still make it to get tickets for shows if they cared that much

5 - Aberdeen Music is indeed brilliant for HELPING promote a show which is why I use it. It isnt the be all and end all. Generally a up and coming bands gig thread may get 200-500 views which I would imagine would maybe get about 10 people along out of a 100 crowd (obviosuly a guess based on my own shows) I totally appreciate this as a tool though.

6 - mmm, I would say just because I have an opinion probably doesnt make me a "moron" however if Stevens saying he updates the site yet it isnt always reflected then I would say Im accurate in saying Steven cant go and re design or get a new website.

You seem unwilling to seek out any info even though its everywhere. I just dont see how anyone can moan about not knowing about shows when there are so many places to get the info,. Do you want someone to come to Bruce Millers and tell you whats on every week - I would be willing to do that but its at the other end of town and I only get 1/2 an hour for lunch.

• Upvote 2