aberdeen-music

Digital Britain: 6 levy on phonelines

Le Stu

Really. Please tell me what these means and methods are. There are millions of people in Britain eagerly awaiting your insight and we're fully prepared for a collective "D'oh!" moment as you explain how stupid we've been to miss something so obvious.

(I couldn't find a picture of an award winning rooster to put here so you'll all just have to use your imagination)

Education, using their own intellect to further their goals, emigrating

Ideologically, I'd agree with a flat rate of income tax (rate, not amount.) High earners and entrepreneurs are often the most productive (not hardworking, different thing) people in the nation, and create a large number of jobs for people. You don't want to to de-incentivise them from work like the current high-tax regime is risking. They may decide they're already wealthy enough to domicile somewhere sunny and put their feet up for a year or two.

However, in reality this would mean the middle class get a huge tax break and the poor get fucked. Wage price structure, national insurance and government spending would have to be overhauled before it would be possible. These are the interesting times in which things become possible though.

I'm advising you, as a moderator, to cut out the trolling and abusing others who don't share your opinion and point out the glaring flaws in your arguments. This kind of thing is against site rules, and if you carry on in this vein you may find your account suspended.

Ha this is laughable, not once have I abused you, get real man

Unless of course you mean using figures of speech

WHAT? Dave, i agree with the whole abusing others bit, but Trolling, your as gulity of it in this thread and he has been yeh? And as soon as he starts questioning, or disagreeing with you, you threaten to suspend his account! Thats total mis-use of your moderator powers in my opinion.

No doubt I'll get a warning for trolling with this post, or have the threat of having my account suspended for disagreeing with Dave, but it's a fair point.

THIS!

Erm... what do you dictate as "enough"? As somehow who earns around the figure of the national average, this is how I'd fare if your fantasy tax hike came into play:

Due to my fathers earnings I don't quality for any financial subsidy... so you'd suggest that I would get myself into debt in order to "increase my earnings"? This is assuming I could even get a place at a university/college considering that due to the failing economy it's estimated that the UK's educational system will be over saturation point as it is.

I don't know about you, but I work a 45 hour week with commuting time on top of that. Where the hell I'd find the time to throw myself into anything other than a short course is beyond me. Whacking my tax up by 10-15% would have a collosal financial impact on my life and living in a city where low price accomodation is scarce, it would become near impossible for a lot of people to survive (let alone students as property would then be at even more of a premium). You're idea is somewhat hopeless, poorly thought out and utterly clueless and would most probably bring the country to it's knees.

Nice one.

If you want something enough you should try to do anything you can to get it, even if it means debt in the short term, if you're wily enough this wont be a problem and you will have a long term plan thought out.

Distance learning could solve a lot of your problems with the work/travel/short course thing. Accomodation is scarce but remember there are always other choices, when I was at college I got course fees paid and for about 6 months lived rough staying in a tent or on benches, got around on a bicycle and bathed at work

It may take the country to its knees but then i'm no politician and they seem to be doing a stand up job as it is dont they :)

Although there are a certain amount of benefits someone who is employed can claim, these only top up your earnings to subsistence level.

A certain amount of education is usually free FOR THE UNEMPLOYED; usually just enough to get them a low wage job. Someone on a low wage gets nix, nada, zero etc etc. I've spent over 600 re-educating myself in the past year, and there's no frigging jobs in my chosen field at the moment.

You starting to get an idea as to why they call it the poverty trap.

I do agree that sometimes it can be extremely difficult to turn things around but it is never impossible. Like I said if you want it badly enough you will get it

Since we're on the subject of education, and about as far off topic as is possible at this point with the possibility of the bans looming, have you seen what the price of private tuition fees are? We're talking over ten grand a year for a BA/BSc at even a modestly ranked uni like AU. Even without government assistance you still get plenty government assistance.

Logically, if that guaranteed government provided finance vanished, wouldn't there be severe downward pressure on the price of tuition? I know we get a lot of overseas students who pay full whack, but still. And less government spending means less taxation, eventually. It's possible education could actually become more affordable without the government.

Guest Motleyal

Hobo, dude, Dave has made it clear that if you don't tow the line after your warnings he will ban or suspend your account, and I think we all know he is a man of his word, possibly slightly unfair and harsh, but he is certainly a man of his word!

We can all remember how unfairly Sexytunk was treated! Dave, Dave, before you start, I'm kidding. he he

Perhaps Micro-Subscription (for TV channels) would be a better idea, especially if you could do it really easily, like on phone credit. I can see why TV license is grudged, as 99.99% of TV output is total ding, but I do want to see the BBC protected in some way. As for taxing foreign currency and other such transactions, I'm convinced that those responsible for the crash must pay for it in some way, but doubt it'll come to that. The benefits of the Financial Sector to the UK have been massively overstated, once you strip out the money that was imaginary and not real.

Good Weekend Y'all.

Perhaps Micro-Subscription (for TV channels) would be a better idea, especially if you could do it really easily, like on phone credit. I can see why TV license is grudged, as 99.99% of TV output is total ding, but I do want to see the BBC protected in some way.

The problem with TV in Britain, from my point of view, is that I can't watch commercial channels without paying for the BBC. Maybe I'd be quite happy paying nothing and have no BBC.

Like you though, I don't think I'd like it without the BBC.

Maybe I just don't like having no (legal) option.

• 7 months later...