aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

I was in the post office today and saw a missing child poster for Madeline McCann on the wall. I wonder whether they genuinely think there's a chance this could still help or whether none of the staff has at any time in the last few years found the energy to take it down.

Btw also missing is Yeremy. Has anyone seen Yeremy?

I was in the post office today and saw a missing child poster for Madeline McCann on the wall. I wonder whether they genuinely think there's a chance this could still help or whether none of the staff has at any time in the last few years found the energy to take it down.

They'll probably take it down when she's found. or when it gets covered in mould from the damp.

How do they calculate when the car parks are full, as in do they include the disabled spaces or not? Because if you get in and realise that the only spaces free are the disabled ones and you don't have a badge then you can't park... or if they say it's full and there are disabled spaces free but you have a disabled badge, well you would have been able to park.

I did have this discussion with boyo and he just looked at me as if I was an idiot.

How do they calculate when the car parks are full, as in do they include the disabled spaces or not? Because if you get in and realise that the only spaces free are the disabled ones and you don't have a badge then you can't park... or if they say it's full and there are disabled spaces free but you have a disabled badge, well you would have been able to park.

I did have this discussion with boyo and he just looked at me as if I was an idiot.

I'd go for a guess and say that they have sensors at the entrance/exit, and at the bottom and tops of ramps. which record the amount of cars that pass the sensors, thus... having a number of cars on each level ;)

As for the disabled spaces... no idea. Just park in it, when you find a ticket under your wiper, take it out, and stick it down a drain or somewhere.

When you get moaned at for not paying the fine, just play dumb and claim it wasn't there. pow!

I'd go for a guess and say that they have sensors at the entrance/exit, and at the bottom and tops of ramps. which record the amount of cars that pass the sensors, thus... having a number of cars on each level ;)

As for the disabled spaces... no idea. Just park in it, when you find a ticket under your wiper, take it out, and stick it down a drain or somewhere.

When you get moaned at for not paying the fine, just play dumb and claim it wasn't there. pow!

I hear this works for all crimes, including rape and murder. Just play dumb. Parking attendants definitely don't take pictures of your car window to prove they've put the ticket on there. If you've not paid within a certain time, the written reminder they post out to you can just be thrown down a drain as well.

You are joking about advocating parking in disabled spaces though, aren't you?

Or they could just deduct the number of tickets sold from the total spaces and display that number on the big screens around town.

Union Square takes a picture of your number plate as you enter so it's probably just got a running tally of every car that enters and when they pay to leave.

Or they could just deduct the number of tickets sold from the total spaces and display that number on the big screens around town.

Union Square takes a picture of your number plate as you enter so it's probably just got a running tally of every car that enters and when they pay to leave.

That works for the total amount of spaces being used. Some car parks (I fail to remember if ANY of the ones in Aberdeen do it) show the amount of free spaces on each level.

Taking photo's of the number plates works for numbers, but I'm pretty sure it's actually to calculate how long you're parked in the car park for, once you go in, your reg. number gets stored on a computer until you go back out again... clocking in and out so to speak. :)

Oh no, I get how they'd calculate the cars going in and out, just that is the number of spaces in the building they compare the number of cars actually in it including or excluding the disabled spaces??

(I'm sure that some of the times I've gone into a shopping centre car park, that the only free ones are disabled spaces, hence the wondering... it's pretty dumb if they include the disabled spaces because no everyone can park there)

sensor's above the disabled spaces to tell if they're in use or not?

Hahaha I know but you can't tell if the people queueing to get in are people with disabled badges or not. Right say you've got 150 spaces plus 15 disabled spaces, once the carpark gets to 150 cars does it say "full" or does it count those 15 spaces as normal spaces, that's what I mean.

Hahaha I know but you can't tell if the people queueing to get in are people with disabled badges or not. Right say you've got 150 spaces plus 15 disabled spaces, once the carpark gets to 150 cars does it say "full" or does it count those 15 spaces as normal spaces, that's what I mean.

Gotcha... They probably get counted as normal spaces.

it would explain how it's possible to go into a car park (that apparently isn't full) but not be able to find a space. lol

Here's a quandry a couple of people on here might know. I was thinking about it today whilst I did NOTHING ALL DAY at work today. If you work in a guitar shop, do you have to sign some sort of release to say you won't conduct any sort of maintenance/repair work outside of the business off your own back, like a set up of a pickup fit? An old next door neighbour of mine when I was young worked at Kwik Fit, and he said he could get in a bit of hot water if he took a look at other peoples cars outwith the company he works for. I thought that was a bit daft, despite it making a bit of sense I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the quantity of the shit speaks volumes. Giving two shits would definitely show you care. Not giving two shits means you certainly do not care a jot.

And what's with the Americanised "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". If you can care less, you can also care more, meaning your care level hasn't changed. America is rubbish. They overly compensate the E in 'defence' and pronounce 'data' with a hard A. And they've all got guns. Fuck them.

Should you turn traction control/ESP off in snow and ice? I say no because that's the whole point of traction control, my girlfriend says you should. I think she read it on the internet somewhere.

The whole point of traction control is to help you when you don't have much traction, if it doesn't help in snow then it's essentially useless.

The American phrase is "Like I could care less", isn't it? Which is still kind of annoying but not as bad as the way some stupid brits mix the two.

The American pronunciation of aluminium is one of the worst.

I heard it on a sitcom (gospel of truth) the phrase "I could care less about..." Good. Care less, then. Go on.

Pronouncing Nuclear as Nucular is bad too. It's like they were handed a paper copy of the English language, and they just went through and red penned it.

Should you turn traction control/ESP off in snow and ice? I say no because that's the whole point of traction control, my girlfriend says you should. I think she read it on the internet somewhere.

The whole point of traction control is to help you when you don't have much traction, if it doesn't help in snow then it's essentially useless.

Most of the time it will help, so you should have it on. But there can be certain situations where it actually hinders you a bit, for example when you're struggling to get out of a drift, or going slowly uphill. Basically in these situations it can be helpful to get a bit of wheelspin going to get down to a bit of a grip on the road. Or you can use the 'rocking' technique to get out of a drift. Traction control stops this working because it senses straight away that the wheel is spinning so cuts the power and takes control of it away from you.

In short, leave it on, until you find you're having real problems moving or you get stuck. Then you can try turning it off and managing the situation yourself.