aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Guest Gladstone
This might be a stupid question, but what's wrong with subtitles?

Probably deaf people prefer sign language, because that is them "talking" if you know what I mean.

They can probably "listen" easier/quicker with sign language than they can read because that's just like us people with lugs that work listening to the characters talking.

Probably.

I was at Glastonbury this year and went to one of the small stages to watch a band called Drugstore. I get there and the band are on and there is a wifey at the side of the stage doing sign language. She's signing through the whole of the set, lyrics, onstage chat, the lot. After Drugstore finished we hung around for a bit and the next band also had someone doing sign language so every act on that stage had this. Anyway, my contribution to this thread is...

Why would a deaf person go to a music festival?

It would be quite good to see someone doing sign language to some super fast thrash metal band. It would be like Ian Curtis dancing in fast forward.

Reading and sign language are completely different. If you look at someone signing, look at their face, they make expressions to show what they mean. Like Gladstone said they are speaking.

Sign language just uses main words in sentences as well.

My family went to the zoo this morning, we saw a Giraffe, a Hippo and a Zebra.

becomes

Family, Zoo, Morning, Giraffe, Hippo, Zebra.

They are pieced together using the expression of their faces and some other things.

I did a few sign language lessons and that was pretty much the first thing they taught us. So reading would technically be a different language, but takes far longer to read then signing does. Another point would be that we can hear and see what's going on perfectly,so when we read the words, it doesn't really add anything. When they watch, to get the context of what's going on (especially since they're not used to reading like this) they need to see their faces to understand the context, so reading and trying to watch their faces at the same time is pretty hard. But with someone in the corner signing, that person will explain everything and be far easier to see as well as watching what's going on in the show.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

Reading and sign language are completely different. If you look at someone signing, look at their face, they make expressions to show what they mean. Like Gladstone said they are speaking.

becomes

They are pieced together using the expression of their faces and some other things.

I did a few sign language lessons and that was pretty much the first thing they taught us. So reading would technically be a different language, but takes far longer to read then signing does. Another point would be that we can hear and see what's going on perfectly,so when we read the words, it doesn't really add anything. When they watch, to get the context of what's going on (especially since they're not used to reading like this) they need to see their faces to understand the context, so reading and trying to watch their faces at the same time is pretty hard. But with someone in the corner signing, that person will explain everything and be far easier to see as well as watching what's going on in the show.

Great post. I actually learned something today. :up:

becomes

Which in audio becomes:

Fah, thoo, ma na, jeh rah, ih poh, theh bah

I'm off to hell, be back shortly.

• Upvote 1

Im not sure if you're actually looking for an answer but it comes from a simpler time when VCRs were king. Instead of gumming up the daytime schedule, niche programs were put to late night so folk could tape em' ken.

Yeah, I was actually curious. Surely with todays technology, they could sign language all programmes (or most, anyway) and you could bring up the sign language chap with the red button or something, since nobody tapes stuff anymore.