aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

Why is this country such that a person can go from being a Geordie racist toilet attendant batterer to a National Treasure to the extent that her marriage breakdown has to be analysed on a daily basis when the only real difference in circumstance is sitting next to Simon Cowell on a pish TV talent show?

Was she convicted of that?

Why are farts that make a hissing sound more pungent than loud crackers? With a hiss fart you are guaranteed a stench, loud ones can go either way.

I can't believe there's a website to answer your question, but there is:

Most fart gas comes from swallowed air and consists largely of nitrogen and carbon dioxide, the oxygen having been absorbed by the time it reaches the anal opening. These gases are odorless, although they often pick up other (and more odiferous) components on the way through the bowel. They emerge from the anus in fairly large bubbles at body temperature. A person can often achieve a good sound with these voluminous farts, but they are commonly (but not always!) mundane with respect to odor, and don't feel particularly warm.

Another major source of fart gas is bacterial action. Bacterial fermentation and digestion processes produce heat as a byproduct as well as various pungent gases. The resulting bubbles of gas tend to be small, hot, and concentrated with stinky bacterial metabolic products. These emerge as the notorious, warm, SBD (Silent-But-Deadly), often in amounts too small to produce a good sound, but excelling in stench.

All from Facts on Farts

Now you know, and I hope your life is richer for it (but not your stink).

• Upvote 1

Why are farts that make a hissing sound more pungent than loud crackers? With a hiss fart you are guaranteed a stench, loud ones can go either way.

My answer would be that foods which give you big fat solid poos are less full of stuff that makes for smelly farts. Whereas foods that give you reeking farts (houmous for me) tend to also give you more runny, splootery shits.

Now, this is where the science comes in*...

a big fat poo = a wide bumhole = flappy acoustics - odour

skitters = a small bumhole = high pitched + smelly

* if farts are to be taken as the pockets of air between turds.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've seen a lot of dog shits in bags lying on pavements recently. I presume them to be dog shit anyway. Who bothers to pick their dog's shit up in a bag but then fail to dispose of the bag? Perhaps there is a group of young scamps who empty the contents of the shit bins onto the street?

Guest idol_wild
I've seen a lot of dog shits in bags lying on pavements recently. I presume them to be dog shit anyway. Who bothers to pick their dog's shit up in a bag but then fail to dispose of the bag? Perhaps there is a group of young scamps who empty the contents of the shit bins onto the street?

I stopped picking up the shits of my mum's dog whenever I used to walk him, following one now infamous incident.

Having rolled out his thrice daily turd whilst I was walking him, the mutt decided to wait until I closed-in to pick up the jobby with a plastic bag before doing the whole territorial post-dump/piss flicking of the back legs thing that dogs seem to revel in. Only, the little fucker managed to be careless enough to actually flick his entire shit with his foot on to my leg. I was wearing very light grey cords that day. Suffice to say the walk home was a very quick and stern one. :moody: