aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

I though Archies was King Street? How the balls can it be on Castle Street, if that's the Castlegate? Fuck knows. It's confusing.

Castlegate is not an address though, it's just the name for that general area. If a building is in 'the castlegate' it's quite likely to have the address as Castle Street, which is the name of the street immediately before you hit Snafu. For example, the Tilted Wig is on Castle Street, so is the Blackfriars, so is the Citadel.

I think the problem with 5, Snafu etc is that that building has changed so much over the years, bits have been merged, split up etc, so the numbering of 1,3,5,7,9 etc is almost impossible to note exactly any more. Snafu is definitely number one though, because the door for it is as far to that side as you can get.

That's my theory anyway, I'm more than happy for our official Cynical Historian to correct me though...

Castlegate is not an address though, it's just the name for that general area. If a building is in 'the castlegate' it's quite likely to have the address as Castle Street, which is the name of the street immediately before you hit Snafu. For example, the Tilted Wig is on Castle Street, so is the Blackfriars, so is the Citadel.

I think the problem with 5, Snafu etc is that that building has changed so much over the years, bits have been merged, split up etc, so the numbering of 1,3,5,7,9 etc is almost impossible to note exactly any more. Snafu is definitely number one though, because the door for it is as far to that side as you can get.

That's my theory anyway, I'm more than happy for our official Cynical Historian to correct me though...

"I remember when this was all fields..."

Capri Sun. Juice in a bag. A bag of juice. Why would you even do that?

I also found out that the cardboard cups you get form fast food places aren't really waterproof. It just takes a good while for it to start seeping though. Once it fully soaks in, then you've got yourself a slow motion spillage. I never knew this.

Juice in a box, like Ribena, seems much more practical to me than a bag of Caprisun. As I tilt it back, it seems to bend and stop pouring out, meaning I have to readjudt the bag, exhale into it to make it more rigid, or try and suck the juice out, which comes through at a pitiful rate.

Never again, bag of juice! I'm a carton man.

I find this more acceptable than boxes of wine. Capri-Sun is good and light and keeps cold for when you need it as a refreshing drink.

But drinking out of a box? Silly shits.

It's a bag in a box. I'll never forget a headwetting I went on when someone had a box of wine for the carry out on the bus from Stonehaven to Aberdeen, to make it easier to smuggle around pubs they removed the box. We were in the ex-Crow's Nest pub, first pub and someone dropped the wine bag, amazing mess of the wooden floor with red wine.

Why does Moray Cup have two Carribean looking fellows on the label?

This isn't a rhetorical question, I'd actually like an answer.

A few years ago my mate pretended to be a 10 year old kid and wrote to Sangs asking about the Moray Cup label. Here are some of the questions and answers (I can't remember them all)

1. Why do the 2 men appear to be from somewhere other than Moray?

Sang's answer: They are from Moray, they are just very heavily tanned.

2. Why do the 2 men appear to be an a tropical paradise, I have never seen a place like this in Moray?

Sang's answer: It is a little known tropical island in the Moray Firth.

3. Why do they appear to be drinking a yellowy drink, when your delicious Moray Cup is red?

Sang's answer: It is Moray Cup, the sun shining through it is making it appear yellow/orange.

I am seeing him tonight so will get him to tell me the rest then. He got a free case of Moray Cup for his trouble.

• Upvote 3

A few years ago my mate pretended to be a 10 year old kid and wrote to Sangs asking about the Moray Cup label. Here are some of the questions and answers (I can't remember them all)

1. Why do the 2 men appear to be from somewhere other than Moray?

Sang's answer: They are from Moray, they are just very heavily tanned.

2. Why do the 2 men appear to be an a tropical paradise, I have never seen a place like this in Moray?

Sang's answer: It is a little known tropical island in the Moray Firth.

3. Why do they appear to be drinking a yellowy drink, when your delicious Moray Cup is red?

Sang's answer: It is Moray Cup, the sun shining through it is making it appear yellow/orange.

I am seeing him tonight so will get him to tell me the rest then. He got a free case of Moray Cup for his trouble.

:laughing: nice one, that's my favourite post ever. Unfortunately the rep nazis won't let me congratulate you in the manner most fitting, so please accept a hearty backslap instead.

My step brother many many years ago wrote to Nike (addressed to Mr Nike) asking for a pair of trainers, and said he'd pay them back when he was a professional footballer. He got a package in return, which included a thankyou letter and a baseball cap. He didn't like baseball caps so he gave it to me. It was shit. Didin't even fit good, and the clasp then broke off the back.

I should probably write to companys pretending to be a child. I bet I could wrangle all kinds of wares!

Given that we live in a very small country, how the fuck have we managed to develop so many distinctive regional accents? Just in northern England, the untrained ear could easily distinguish Scouse, Manc, Leeds, Teeside, Geordie and Mackem.

Compare this with the US, which is dozens of times the size with many times the population, and yet there's probably fewer regional accents than in the UK.

I have always found this amazing.

I've always reckoned this is down to factors such as railways systems and the like coming into being not too long after the mass colonisation of the US, thus allowing the accents of the various settlers to mingle and become homogenised over time.

Most areas of the UK which have been populated since a time when even traveling from Aberdeen to Dundee, for example, would be outwith the ability of the average Joe.

Then again it could just be an inabilty to detect subtle differences with an untrained ear.

Why do you see so many dead pheasants by the side of roads? I know you see a lot of squashed crows/seagulls which can generally be put down to them being scavenging twats who are too greedy to get out of the way in time when eating dead rabbits but why pheasants? Are they the most suicide prone of birds, a flying lemming? Or are they just particularly slow/stupid?

Why do you see so many dead pheasants by the side of roads? I know you see a lot of squashed crows/seagulls which can generally be put down to them being scavenging twats who are too greedy to get out of the way in time when eating dead rabbits but why pheasants? Are they the most suicide prone of birds, a flying lemming? Or are they just particularly slow/stupid?

They are slow and heavy, they can't gain height quickly and they break out of wooded areas at car/lorry height.

That isn't true, they move pretty quickly. The latter is right though and a mixture of confusion and panic tends to steer them into oncoming traffic.

When they first take off, they are slow until they get going. I've been beating/shooting for years, I know what I'm talking about.