aberdeen-music

The 'wondering about stuff' thread

Soda Jerk

How does crucifixion kill you? To me it seems that you'd die of thirst before anything else. I don't see how just hanging there for a few hours would be fatal.

I think you have to hold yourself up to be able to breathe, because your lungs and that are getting pushed against your chest. As you get weaker this becomes harder and more painful because you're essentially putting all your weight on your impaled limbs. So you suffocate. I think.

I don't get time zones. Who invented time zones? And when? I mean, I get that the sun sets at different times depending on where you are. But why do we have to have different times for that? Why can't it just be dark in the morning in one place, and light in the morning on the other side of the world? Different light levels but same time? Wouldn't that be a lot easier for everyone. I don't understand how something can happen in the day in another part of the world, but that can effectively be yesterday for us. It's happening now, but it also happened yesterday. Weird.

I don't get time zones. Who invented time zones? And when? I mean, I get that the sun sets at different times depending on where you are. But why do we have to have different times for that? Why can't it just be dark in the morning in one place, and light in the morning on the other side of the world? Different light levels but same time? Wouldn't that be a lot easier for everyone. I don't understand how something can happen in the day in another part of the world, but that can effectively be yesterday for us. It's happening now, but it also happened yesterday. Weird.

On a similar subject how did people know what day it was before the modern calendar was invented. And once it was invented how did they know if they started using it on the right day.

What if Monday was actually Thursday?

Aye, and that song that goes "It's five o'clock somewhere" doesn't really work, because the time zones are done in hours, so if your basis for skiving work early at 2.30 is that it's "five o'clock somewhere", then it's not, going by the time zones anyway.

On a similar theme, what's the story behind "Red Kola", ie why is called cola (albeit with a different spelling) when it's nothing like "real" cola?

probably just to sell it to the kids.

It tastes nothing like cola either. It's a mixed fruit drink as far as I'm aware, which puts it in the same boat as Vimto, and Irn Bru once upon a time.

On a similar theme, what's the story behind "Red Kola", ie why is called cola (albeit with a different spelling) when it's nothing like "real" cola?

It's flavoured with the kola nut. Though the name was probably used since people recognise the world cola / kola in pretty much every language.

I think I remember that stuff.

Sangs American Cream Soda however, YAS!

oman, best ever.

i don't see the lorries anymore, but there is a newsagent on king street who have a fair selection. it's the one thats on a corner, sorry i can't be more specific.

also the shop that is on that dual carriageway where the boy racers drive down carried dark iron brew and moray cup last time i was in.

oman, best ever.

i don't see the lorries anymore, but there is a newsagent on king street who have a fair selection. it's the one thats on a corner, sorry i can't be more specific.

also the shop that is on that dual carriageway where the boy racers drive down carried dark iron brew and moray cup last time i was in.

you thinking of "alaskansee"?

or whatever its called...

Bon Accord tropical was TEH NUTZ.

Do you still get Bon Accord juice? We used to get it delivered when I was a kid.

I don't think you do get Bon Accord juice anymore, but it was all kinds of great.

You still get Panda Pops though, so all is ok in the world, YUS.