aberdeen-music

Live By The Beach - August 22nd @ Beach Ballroom

• 3 weeks later...
Erm...isn't this just a bit too small for the Ballroom?

Possibly, but what I will say is that Kashmir Red do pretty well up here, and when we played with The Locals last month they brought an absolute shit-ton of people. I think if the four bands put a fair bit of effort into this, it might pan out alright. Good luck to them, either way.

is this the aberdeen 'super-gig' that was discussed a while ago? I assume it isn't an ordinary gig as its called 'live by the beach'.

If so, its a really dissapointing line-up with very little to represent the diversity of aberdeens music scene.

:(

its just a gig at the beach ballroom which i personaly think is a ace line up. the "super gig" got cancelled i think.

is this the aberdeen 'super-gig' that was discussed a while ago? I assume it isn't an ordinary gig as its called 'live by the beach'.

If so, its a really dissapointing line-up with very little to represent the diversity of aberdeens music scene.

:(

Its nothing to do with the Super Gig - the manager approached me to put on a gig at the Beach Ballroom with us - Kashmir Red - to headline with 3 other bands i thought would suit the night well. It probably isn't really anyone's cup of tea on Aberdeen-Music forum (perhaps Marionettes) but i still hoping we should get between 600+ people there. This site - although i find really informative and funny - is not the be all and end all of the Aberdeen music scene.

If this is a success then they will look into more of these types of gigs. Never know Ianme (??No idea who you are mate) might get the shout next time.

I just thought it would be an awesome event at a great venue. Feel free to come along, what i will also say is that the people at the ballroom have been brilliant to work with thus far and putting some great marketing behind it along with my usual push for punters.

As for Cloud - they offered us AECC but i thought it may bring in too many neds. Bit more romance at the ballroom!

Guest idol_wild

I'll be gone and forgotten by the time this comes round. It's not my thing really, as you'll know Steve, but good fucking luck with it. Hope it works out for you!

Its nothing to do with the Super Gig - the manager approached me to put on a gig at the Beach Ballroom with us - Kashmir Red - to headline with 3 other bands i thought would suit the night well. It probably isn't really anyone's cup of tea on Aberdeen-Music forum (perhaps Marionettes) but i still hoping we should get between 600+ people there. This site - although i find really informative and funny - is not the be all and end all of the Aberdeen music scene.

If this is a success then they will look into more of these types of gigs. Never know Ianme (??No idea who you are mate) might get the shout next time.

I just thought it would be an awesome event at a great venue. Feel free to come along, what i will also say is that the people at the ballroom have been brilliant to work with thus far and putting some great marketing behind it along with my usual push for punters.

As for Cloud - they offered us AECC but i thought it may bring in too many neds. Bit more romance at the ballroom!

Fair play. I wasn't meaning to be overally critical dude; just that perhaps calling it live by the beach gives it a 'festival' type feel and its really just an indie gig.

Anyway good luck with it, there is a demand for such music so you should get a big crowd.

:)

I heard that Kashmir Red played Tiger Tiger and they alone pulled in something like 400-500 people.

Jesus Christ I doubt my band even know that many people!

We personally decided to take up on this offer because bands on our level don't often get the chance to play at venues such as this, and providing Steve and the other acts get the correct backing I'm sure this could potentially be a huge success.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest idol_wild
Any other musicians on this forum played the beach ballroom before?

Thoughts? ideas?

Not in the main ballroom. But just playing in the actual building itself was a massive privilege; you should have a wee wander about if you're allowed at any point during the day of the concert. It's very nice.

Tickets now on sale

TICKETS NOW ON SALE.

Tickets priced 6 pound are now on sale for this gig. You can either get tickets by PM'ing me on here, emailing Kashmirredmusic@gmail.com or calling the Ballroom Box Office 01224 647647.

Poster to follow.

Please help us make this a success. As previously stated in another post if this is a success the ballroom are looking to do more gigs of the same nature with many different local acts getting to perform at this great venue.

Guest Gladstone

Best of luck with this. Like I've said Steve, I'm away that weekend so won't make it.

Regardless of the snobbery that goes on on this site (and in other places), indie/rock music is still very popular, and Kashmir Red are one of the bands with the biggest crowd-pulling ability in Aberdeen.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - they are one of the best local bands I've seen live. Only really saw them once - at Wizard Festival last year - and thought they were brilliant.

The Locals have taken criticism on this site a fair bit, but from what I hear they also pull a lot of punters through the door, and I'll definitely be checking them out at Wizard Festival this year.

Tijuana Sun were good with the old line up and I hear they're better with the full band line up now. They also pulled a fair few punters in when we played with them at Drummonds earlier this year.

And Marionettes (probably the only band on this line up that Ab-music folks dig) will certainly pull a good few punters through the door as it's their first gig with the new line up.

I think this night has the potential to get a few hundred through the door, and who knows, it might build into something very popular. The spacing between gigs seems sensible if the next one is going to be 3 months later. If you tried to pull this too regularly, it would flop massively.

I'll certainly be firing the organisers an e-mail to see if we can get on the bill at some point.

GIG] Live By The Beach - August 22nd @ Beach Ballroom

Any other musicians on this forum played the beach ballroom before?

Thoughts? ideas?

Played The Beach ballroom many times.

Tips: The room really works for you soundwise, so no need to be loud on stage

& Who's supplying the P A, coz they can make or break the gig, Ive experienced both:swearing:

Played The Beach ballroom many times.

Tips: The room really works for you soundwise, so no need to be loud on stage

& Who's supplying the P A, coz they can make or break the gig, Ive experienced both:swearing:

They are supplying it from Atmosphere i think....

thanks for the advice. feel free to put more our way.(about the gig )

Played there a few times with various soul band incarnations and it's a great venue. Even when Frank Gilfeather frankgilfeather.jpg was doing the tombola at half time and the Aberdeen rich list were bidding obscene amounts of money on various donated items/weekend breaks/ManU tickets.

Anyway, the in house engineers are really good at what they do and know how to get the sound right in the room.

Enjoy the experience, it's a rare opportunity to play on a large stage in a great venue.

August 22nd @ Beach Ballroom

They are supplying it from Atmosphere i think....

thanks for the advice. feel free to put more our way.(about the gig )

Then Beware, because Tijuana Sun played Tiger Tiger recently, the venue hired a PA from Atmosphere, & it resembled the PA which is normally used at the Beach, (4k of Bose), according to the chap on the desk that night.

A terrible sound, & nothing could be done, as it was due to the limitations of the system.

Those Bose speakers sound "Very" tired to me. Radical EQ did virtually nothing.

Then Beware, because Tijuana Sun played Tiger Tiger recently, the venue hired a PA from Atmosphere, & it resembled the PA which is normally used at the Beach, (4k of Bose), according to the chap on the desk that night.

A terrible sound, & nothing could be done, as it was due to the limitations of the system.

Those Bose speakers sound "Very" tired to me. Radical EQ did virtually nothing.

I also played that night, did Tiger low roof have anything with the sound? Just out of curiosity.

GIG] Live By The Beach - August 22nd @ Beach Ballroom

"A terrible sound, & nothing could be done, as it was due to the limitations of the system."

No, a decent system, & a good set of ears will cope wi low roofs, usually.

Unless the room is plauged with horrendous bass traps in some corners, or it's a weird shape.