aberdeen-music

Windows Based Drum Program?

Bigsby

Can anybody recommend a Windows based drum program? I looked at ezdrummer but it seems I need to run it with another recording program like Cubase or something, and I looked Hydrogen but that just works on Linux.

I just want a Windows based thing that will put out the drums so I can output them to a stand-alone recorder.

I use Acoustica Beatcraft, which is fairly easy to come by a cracked version of. It's pretty good. A few decent kits built in, and if you messed about with it, you could import your own sounds to create your own custom kit. You can save loops and then paste them into a sequencer within the same window to piece together a full track.

I use Acoustica Beatcraft, which is fairly easy to come by a cracked version of. It's pretty good. A few decent kits built in, and if you messed about with it, you could import your own sounds to create your own custom kit. You can save loops and then paste them into a sequencer within the same window to piece together a full track.

Been trying this out tonight, very easy to use for both loops and drum patterns, thanks for the tip.

So Bigsby, what kind of muscial endevour are you taking on?

I've just got loads of tunes in my head that I've been meaning to record for ages. I was planning on getting a Portastudio type thing but I'm skint so a computer based option might better, any recommendations on that front?

Real sounding or synthetic? For electronic drums you could always grab a free copy of Rebirth from Propellerheads, I think you need to register, but its legit. If you don't mind hooky gear then there is loads to choose from. I found a massive free VST resource which I posted about, its all legit, and there are multiple DAW/sampler/rompler/drum machine options. Making Music: A big list of FREE music making software!

You'll have to figure it out yersel' though, dig in, it'll only take a year or two. And you will be able to get more naturalistic sounds as well. Then again if you are going to get into using a DAW, then EZ drummer will work in that, so, clear as mud then.

Oops, you may also want to check out the Computer Music cover disc*, some alright freebies, and they offer instruction on how to use them.

*All the software is on every disc, so it doesn't matter when you buy it.

I've just got loads of tunes in my head that I've been meaning to record for ages. I was planning on getting a Portastudio type thing but I'm skint so a computer based option might better, any recommendations on that front?

Like Pierre says, loads and loads of options. Some are free other can cost and sometimes they should cost but are free *cough*. At the end of the day it depends how deep you want to get into it and how much money you want to invest. If I'm chatting to a mate who wants to get into it I usually start off by asking what their budget is. You'll definitely need some sort of sound card and maybe a mic if you want to sing a melody or record acoustic stuff. It doesn't have to be that expensive to do what you want it to which sounds fairly basic to start. As long as you set things up well there are work arounds to make it sound as good a possible by using plugins (free, bought or free*cough*)

Get the computer set up for recording first before you get something mobile. Practice with the (initially) cheaper option. Portastudio type affair could set you back a lot but not be entirely what you were after, could have spent that cash on a nice mic for your home studio or a midi control surface, mixing desk, preamps, outboard effects..... don't really know what I'm talking about with this stuff though, someone more experienced would be more use when you reach this stage.

I started with just a usb sound card, now I have a usb sound card, a couple of mics and lots of keyboards. Suppose that's why all my stuff is electronic based!!

*edit - always read up on stuff you think you want to buy. It's always best to know what all the options are and why one might suite you better than another. I ususally spend a week obsessing over something reading all I can about it and it's competitors then cool off period just to make sure I really want/need it.

Cheers, I've downloaded Audacity to play about with, I'm really just looking for fairly simple stuff at the moment.

That Beatcraft program has a releated program called Mixcraft, which is like Audacity, but I find it a bit nicer to use. The Acoustica stuff is so idiot friendly, so is perfect for me.

• 5 months later...

I think you mean play different loops and sequence them simply, and adjust speed without delving into mathematic ratios etc, something like Acid or Ableton, there must be a freeware prog that emulates them. But if its just playback and editing then, yes, ReCycle is good for autoslicing for midi playback Old Skool Jungle stylee, and a good Wavelab type editor for trimming, processing and stretching. Free ones available somewhere.

i've been using ezdrummer for about a year now and although i was pleased with the intial results and i think the drums sound great it's not versatile enough.

the drum loops are all very samey, i realise that you can get additional libraries and plug-ins but i'm right in thinking these cost? doesn't seem that worth it tbh. plus to create a drum beat from scratch takes a long time.

you know what?! you can have a listen to ezdrummer in action here Star Rover on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads shameless plug!!!

hheheheh

Sorry, suggested you getting a soundcard then left you hanging haha. Depending how far down the recording stuff on your computer line you want to go there are heaps of soundcards available anywhere from 60 - . I saw that line 6 toneport thing in action and it is a handy piece of kit, plus you can use it live too so double bonus.

Fruity loops for drums. You can make your own beats, drag and drop your loops in, beat slice your loops if you want or all of the above. Export as WAV for your portastudio thingy.

Sorry, suggested you getting a soundcard then left you hanging haha. Depending how far down the recording stuff on your computer line you want to go there are heaps of soundcards available anywhere from 60 - . I saw that line 6 toneport thing in action and it is a handy piece of kit, plus you can use it live too so double bonus.

Fruity loops for drums. You can make your own beats, drag and drop your loops in, beat slice your loops if you want or all of the above. Export as WAV for your portastudio thingy.

Cheers, I actually ended up buying one of these usb soundcards (Ex easyInternet cafe surplus stock)

hw-01001topangle.png

hw-01001front.png

for 89p (!), but I just don't like fucking about with computers, prefer old school sliders and knobs etc so I'm going the portastudio route.