aberdeen-music

2009/2010 season thread.

Scorge

From from the wacky world of Man City:

BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | Everton to dismiss Lescott offer

And no more Stubbsy on the Beeb! Gutted!

BBC SPORT | Sport presenter Stubbs leaves BBC

That would be an absolutely brilliant signing for City (nevermind the John Terrys and Samuel Etoos of the world, that's the kind of player they should be looking to land), but I'm glad he looks to be staying at Everton. Really like what David Moyes is trying to do there, and it would be a shame to see him lose players like Lescott and Jagielka, who've developed into fantastic players since he's been there.

Absolutely gutted about Ray Stubbs, man! Particularly because I won't be forking out 36 a month for a Sky package with ESPN...

Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonK770i/R8BC Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

I'm hearing that Craig Gordon is injured and out of the Norway match. With McGregor still banned, terrifyingly this could mean Jamie Langfield in goals against Norway.

David Marshall or Neil Alexander pleeease :up:

Dumbarton 0-3 St Mirren

O'Donnell, Dargo and Mehmet scored. We scored from a CORNER AGAIN! twice in 2 games. Relative stroll last night by all accounts, 3 trialists played, 2 looked decent but nothing outstanding.

Is that Dargoals goal quota for the season used up now?

:up:

It's a good deal for Inter. Both have very similar scoring records. Eto'o is also younger and arguably a bit more agile. Plus they get a chunk of cash to boot. I think Barca are being swindled a bit, but I guess I won't be saying that when he scores heaps.

His aerial presence won't be as utilised as everyone is expecting though, since Barcelona, instead of crossing the ball, just like to fanny about on the edge of the box.

Guest idol_wild

Do people genuinely think Ibrahimovic is a World Class footballer?

When some friends and I visited Amsterdam about six years ago, we spent a day down at the Ajax training village, as we went down to get tickets for the following day's match anyway. Marco Van Basten was taking the reserves, which Ibrahimovic had been relegated to (due to behavioural issues), on one of the astroturf training pitches, so we decided to stand at the fence and watch. One of the drills the players were asked to do was control a ball that Van Basten threw at them from a distance of about twenty yards, control it first touch, dribble past two small cones before attempting to score past the 'keeper from anywhere between 16-25 yards.

Ibrahimovic took two touches to control one particular throw from Van Basten (it was a very favourable throw, too) before skipping past the first cone, only to be tripped up by the second. He fell flat on his face.

Every time I see Ibrahimovic play now, I remember that instance and he always looks like he's going to do it again. Technique of a giraffe.

But my point is, I don't rate him especially highly.

Excellent move for Inter.

Do people genuinely think Ibrahimovic is a World Class footballer?

When some friends and I visited Amsterdam about six years ago, we spent a day down at the Ajax training village, as we went down to get tickets for the following day's match anyway. Marco Van Basten was taking the reserves, which Ibrahimovic had been relegated to (due to behavioural issues), on one of the astroturf training pitches, so we decided to stand at the fence and watch. One of the drills the players were asked to do was control a ball that Van Basten threw at them from a distance of about twenty yards, control it first touch, dribble past two small cones before attempting to score past the 'keeper from anywhere between 16-25 yards.

Ibrahimovic took two touches to control one particular throw from Van Basten (it was a very favourable throw, too) before skipping past the first cone, only to be tripped up by the second. He fell flat on his face.

Every time I see Ibrahimovic play now, I remember that instance and he always looks like he's going to do it again. Technique of a giraffe.

But my point is, I don't rate him especially highly.

Excellent move for Inter.

I don't think it's a great move for either team, and I don't hink either manager will be pleased, because I don't think either club's motives behind the transfer have a lot to do with football. It seems to have more to do with the Presidents and the players. I don't think either manager will be particularly happy.

I don't think Mourinho would have chosen either to sell Ibrahimovic or to replace him with Eto'o. Ibrahimovic, although not as good as the Italians think he is, has a scoring record that not many in Serie A can match, despite numerous injuries. Mourinho will have to chage his system to accommodate Eto'o, and Inter will need also need to sign a proper creative midfielder, since Eto'o, unlike Ibrahimovic, can't just be left alone in front of a workmanlike midfield and expected to make things happen. Unless Inter think Balotelli is ready to replace Ibrahimovic, which I doubt. And that's without even ging into the difference between scoring goals in Serie A and la Liga.

So to me, it looks like President Moratti just wanted the wad of cash, which Inter don't need.

From Barca's point of view, although Ibrahimovic is a fantastic player, I think their system is better off with a pure goalscorer like Eto'o. They don't need a creative player up front, since they've got 5 others in their side already. Ibrahimovic also has a crap record in the CL. So I reckon this signing is just Laporta trying to keep the fans happy by making a high profile signing.

Incidentally, both players strike me as total pricks.

Barcelona are also planning to sign David Villa, and that would mean a front two.

Just now they play, and won an unprecedented treble with (R-L)

Valdes

Dani Alves Marquez (Milito/Pique) Puyol Abidal

Toure

Xavi Iniesta

Messi Henry

Eto'o

So, with Ibrahimovic and Villa would they play:

Valdes

Dani Alves Marquez/Milito/Pique Puyol Abidal

Xavi Iniesta

Messi Henry

Ibrahimovic Villa

?

Yes, it's a good line-up, but it leaves questions: Would it leave out Yaya Toure, who played the holding midfielder role brilliantly last season, domestically and in Europe? Should Barca, considering their success last season, alter the shape of their team? Would Ibrahimovic and Villa work as pairing? I don't think it would, Villa tends to drift left in a front-two, and would possibly congest the left side with Henry probably working there as well.

The Villa move is more likely to happen than not, the player wants the move and Valencia are in a dire financial situation, the news suggests. So, thoughts?

Yes, it's a good line-up, but it leaves questions: Would it leave out Yaya Toure, who played the holding midfielder role brilliantly last season, domestically and in Europe? Should Barca, considering their success last season, alter the shape of their team? Would Ibrahimovic and Villa work as pairing? I don't think it would, Villa tends to drift left in a front-two, and would possibly congest the left side with Henry probably working there as well.

I doubt Guardiola is daft enough to remove any sort of balance from his side by taking out Toure. Anyway, I thought the Villa deal was supposed to be looking less likely to happen now. I think Valencia have stabilised a bit financially, at least in the short term, no?

Completely disagree, Eto'o bags far more goals

Eto'o plays in a league where nobody really bothers to defend, with a host of top class creative players geared almost entirely towards making chances for him. Ibrahimovic plays against teams that put 9/10 men behind the ball, with Dejan Stankovic as the main creative midfielder, and Vieira or Muntari, Cambiasso and Zanetti behind him - all basically defensive midfielders, apart from Muntari, who's just a guy that runs about a lot.

There's been plenty players who've looked good in Spain and failed miserably in Italy. I'll be interested to see how Eto'o copes with proper offside traps and/or very little space in behind defences to run into. He's no Pippo Inzaghi...

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that Inter's tactic is to get every other team in Serie A fined and their stadiums closed for racist chanting at their new front two of Balotelli and Eto'o. Apparently the chants of "Zlatan is a gypsy" weren't enough. And no matter what else they do this summer, nothing will be as breathtakingly stupid as their signing of Lucio. Boy's a bombscare.

?(

I'm confused.

Sorry. For some reason I was convinced Eto'o was only 25. My bad.

I'd still rather have Eto'o, so it's a great deal for Inter. They are both prone to sulking though. Even though I don't rate Ibrahimovic as highly, his scoring record is also quite incredible. Serie A is a poor league though.

Hargreaves tipped for a September return. Hope so too. Great player. Pretty much the only other United player who can take a free kick too, now that Ronaldo has gone. Giggs needs to stop having a go. Every time, it floats over and wide. Stop it!

I'd still rather have Eto'o, so it's a great deal for Inter. They are both prone to sulking though. Even though I don't rate Ibrahimovic as highly, his scoring record is also quite incredible. Serie A is a poor league though.

The overall quality of play might not be as good as la Liga or the EPL right now, but the defending in Serie A is still streets ahead of either of the "exciting" leagues IMO. So Eto'o has scored more goals, but he's done it in a more attacking, more creative team, in a defensively inept league. On the other hand, Ibrahimovic has had a fucking shedload of penalties to take, which makes his record slightly less impressive.

Also, Ibrahimovic is a fucking ponce. I'm sure I've posted a video of him getting slapped about and generally destroyed by Giorgio Chiellini before. Might dredge it up as a character reference.

blooming heck, i'm depressed about football already and the season doesnt even start for just under three weeks. excuse me for venting off spleen about my club on here but on visiting the cambridge messageboard i have been driven to the depths of despair.

so gary brabin who took us within 2 points of the title and a play off final appearance at wembley in his first full season in charge gets sacked by our over egotistical chairman citing non footballing reasons. both me go to the local press with vastly different stories of what actually happened. the only similarity is each party is blaming the other. then papers report that brabin has been offered his job back, the club says nothing and meanwhile the clock is ticking down to the new season. two senior first team players have been completely frozen out, apparently transfer listed by the chairman. during yesterdays game against west ham XI, one of our key players lee phillips was stretchered off (looked a bad one) and we were so short of numbers (because a CUFC XI were playing away at Sudbury) that a trialist goalkeeper had to play up front for the last 20 mins of the game.

the messageboard is frequented by deluded twats who continually post so many ridiculous and untrue rumours that it has actually started to severe my head. i despair for some football supporters, there's a few who think brabin did a terrible job! i know he fell short at the final hurdle but for crying out loud, most u's fans thought we would do well to finish top ten considoring the upheaval at the club last summer!

standing outside flogging programmes before yesterdays game, a lot of diehard regulars have had enough and are talking about quitting the club they are so disconsolate (they wont its like an addictive drug once your hooked).

i fear we are becoming the newcastle united of non league!!!!!