aberdeen-music

Lovefilm

Lemonade

Is anyone else having problems with them just now?

I sent some discs back on Monday morning and they still are showing that they haven't received them. This has happened a few times lately. It used to be that if you sent them before 6pm, they would receive them and send you new ones the next day but recently it's been taking them 4-5 days to send me new stuff, as though they have a backlog and can't keep up with all the day's incoming mail.

And also most of my rental list is suddenly showing as "Short wait" or "Long wait". Mostly old things that fair enough they probably wouldn't have many copies of, but it's showing with some brand new things as well.

Also I've had a few discs recently that are scratched and won't play.

I was impressed with their service when I first joined a few months ago but they're going way down in my estimation. :down:

ive noticed recently that the discs seem to be taking ages to get to me, since peterborough where their HQ is, is only an hours drive away it shouldnt be taking as long as it does, then again could be the royal mail at fault!

apart from that ive not experienced any problems with them at all, been renting from them for 4 years now.

Maybe they are just under staffed right now and can't process the orders quick enough

TBH, that's not an acceptable excuse. I joined them expecting their turnaround to be 1-2 days, not 3-4 or 5 days which it currently is. I don't care what their reason is for not giving me the service I pay for, I just expect them to do it.

I'm not sticking up for them, i would be pretty pissed off too, just saying if they are understaffed for any reason, would explain why they are quite slow right now, have you contacted them over the phone or anything?

Not yet, Lovefilm say to leave it four days before reporting anything as lost in the mail or whatever. They aren't showing the DVDs as received and waiting for a new batch to be sent, they are still shown as out. It'll be four days tomorrow for the first one (sent 1 on Monday and 1 on Tuesday - they should have had them both by now) so if they haven't received them by tomorrow morning then I'll get on to them then. Maybe the postie spotted the envelope and fancied a couple of free movies.

• 7 months later...

I stopped using them simply because I wasn't watching the DVDs enough. I was paying 12.99 for unlimited dvds a month and maybe watching 1 DVD every 2 months on average.

I did receive an email from them recently saying they now had a light use plan (1 disc at a time, max 2 a month) for 3.99 a month which I'm tempted by but I get the feeling it's a enticement offer and within 6 months i'd be paying double that price.

I've been on the 12.99 tariff for almost a year and haven't had any problems. Only thing is I have received the 'extras' DVD for a couple of films but should've probably ticked the no box myself. I'm guilty of sometimes taking a bit too long to send DVDs back (I usually watch them within 2 days of getting them yet take a few days to send them back) but that's my own fault, and I've never had to wait more than a few days, apart from over Christmas and New Year.

I do love it though, always get excited as to what's coming 'cause I don't check it on the site. I try not to buy too many DVDs so this is a great way to watch ones I wouldn't have wanted to pay say 5 or more for. Got Love Me If You Dare last week, what a cracker :D

I'm on a 7.98 deal with Tesco DVD that has unlimited movies per month but you can only get one at a time - realistically the best you can hope for is 2 per week if you receive one early week and watch it immediately and post it back next daythey are normally pretty quick. Even at 4 films per month it works out cheaper than hiring but it takes so long to get newer popular films I end up just hiring them anyway!

All their DVD's are marked with Lovefilm stickers so that may be why Lovefilm don't have so many DVD's!

I've been a bit tardy lately I've had films sitting a month before I got round to watching. One I ended up I couldn't ever be arsed with so sent it back unviewed.

Bringing this back.

Anyone on here still use Lovefilm? I'm a big film fan and can't really afford to buy a load of DVDs i haven't seen before and can't/don't really want to download them, so i was looking at the different packages. The unlimited for 12.99 looks good but dunno if i could find enough films to rent to justify unlimited but dunno if 2 or 3 is enough. Any input is appreciated, just want some reviews.

Scour around for a month or two free offer for new subscribers. It might give you an idea of the number of dvds you'll likely go through, and you can easily change package afterwards.

My only issue with Lovefilm was that it was a pain in the arse trying to cancel my account.

my missus had the 3 discs at a time package, no idea how much it was costing her, but at first it was quite good and was happy enough.

however, for the last couple of months, it seemed every batch of discs we got were scratched so badly we couldnt play them. Plus one went missing in the post and you have to go through a long drawn out process to fill out forms etc just to prove you didnt just rob it.

So needless to say we told them to go poke it, fuck paying however much a month for some discs we cant watch. So me experience was pretty poor and i wouldnt recommend them anymore!

I got a second hand DVD off Amazon, and it came in the proper box and everything, but the disc has the Lovefilm tag on the centre. Have I bought dodgy warez? Can they track where the disc is and kick my door in? I'm not cut out for prison.

Shady fuck intercepts Lovefilm mail in shared accomodation, checks out what DVD it is then robs empty box from somewhere....seems a likely event....or someone claims their DVD must have gone missing in return mail....

How do the DVDs come?

I am really tempted by this but put off it because of my current abode.

They get posted to you and you post them back through the letter box

Mixed responses:down:

I just don't want to give them any of my details until Im sure Im going to stick with it. The minute they have my post code and email Im doomed for life.

I have never been hassled or heard of anyone being hassled by them...it's just a service not a ploy to get your details. I only get emails which I have asked for i.e. offers

I have used them for years now and never had a problem ever, I had one disc which was scratched which I sent back (telling them it was scratch on the envelope provided)

If anyone wants a recommendation I need one more referral to get my gift! PM me if you need a link.

Amazon marketplace and sites like play.com / hmv.com are what I use at the moment. By looking around I haven't paid more than a fiver for any DVD online for years now, no matter how obscure. Just have to make sure it's been out for a couple of months. You're even getting Blu-Rays from about 4 used or 6 new. Downside, you don't get unlimited films for the 13 mark.

Making an amazon wishlist and checking it a couple of times a week is another ace way to catch what you want when it's cheap.

I didn't have a problem cancelling my lovefilm and you can mothball the account if you prefer. They keep mailing me promotional stuff but I've not had a major increase in junk mail.

Anyone looking to sign up would do well to check if there are any voucher codes on the go. A great site for checking is AVForums.com Home where I found I could have gotten a three month free trial with lovefilm instead of the one month I got by signing up without a voucher.

Their service is pretty good, though sometimes sporadic. Turnaround can be as little as three working days if you live in Aberdeen. Be prepared to wait weeks or even months for certain popular DVDs to become available though, so it's best for titles you've been meaning to get around to.

• 2 months later...

We've been using a trial subscription to lovefilm for a couple of months and it's been great. They seem quick to send out the next ones from our list, though they don't alway send an email saying it's been sent for a day or so. But generally I have no complaints and we'll probably keep the account once the trial period finishes.

Do they arrive on lovefilm branded disks? I assumed they just sent you one of the real discs but i suppose it makes more ense for them to copy them if they have the right to.

No, it's streaming off their website. They have a number of freebie titles you can watch even if you're not a member. I think it's still a beta service at the moment.