aberdeen-music

Bass Strings

davewarden

Pfft, whatever's going about, really.

Mostly D'addario XL nickel plated.

Dabbled with Fender stainless steel ones because they were cheap in Bruce Millers - seem nice enough to me.

I mostly get strings online - Stringbusters or Strings Direct. If you order them early in the day then they usually arrive next day. If you find Stringbusters have something cheaper than SD, SD offer pricematch (remember to take Stringbuster's flat rate (1.50) P&P into account though). SD are free postage for orders above 10.

Speaking of flats, I'd advise against Rotosound flats - horribly high tension, could hardly shift them when playing.

Use ernie ball super slinky's.

Used to use rotasounds, roundwound and flats (can't remeber gauge) but hated having to string them and found they dulled too fast, if i didnt end up snapping them first.

dont really have any complains with the super slinky's.

Used Rotosound Swing Bass 45-105's for years and tried Super Slinkys for a change - thought they were rubbish. Were easier on the fingers but dulled quickly and I missed the cotton bits on the end of the string.

Also flirted with 45-100's for a while but missed the extra bottom end.

Used to go to R'n'B for strings. Is the blond haired guy that used to have to Terry Nutkins bouffaunt still working there? It's been a while since I was last in right enough.

Use Rotosound swing bass 66's normaly, I used elites for a few years but they got shit...

I have used Elixir's and in fact one of my jazz's has them on now, they've been on it for about two years and are still fresh...!!! though I have heard that their quality has gone down a bit recently and they can take some getting used to cos they are a bit slippy.

I must add my two year old elixir's have not lived in a gigging environment, they've had an easy life.

I use standard gauge (.45) DR Hi Beams normally, but they were out of stock in Bruce Millers last time I re-strung so I got Lo-Riders instead. Kinda prefer the Hi Beams, they are a bit brighter, last a bit longer and are easier to play straight away. Would recommend them though, I used Rotosound for ages but DR's made a massive difference to the sound of my bass imo, far nicer strings.

Guest droid

I agree with Kieran totally.I switched to DR hi beams after playing Labella's for years and won't play any other roundwounds.However Labella flatwounds are ace!

i use elixir Nanoweb's most of the time

Elixir Nanoweb Bass Strings - E14077, - Online Music Store | Sounds Live

expensive but they sound great and last infinitely longer. note. much better for standard tunings or basses that are set up for lower playing.

I got a set of elixirs for free in a magazine,lasted yonks and still sounded decent after a couple of months.

I think Im just going to have to get used to changing strings until I can afford a new bass, changing tunings every other day isnt good.

I have problems getting strings long enough.. I got string through and long scale :S Certainly I've never been able to buy a set off the shelves in Aberdeen :(

So I use D'addario super long flat wound chromes.. from here They are pretty awesome and down a credit crunching 20 quid from when I first atrted buying them :D

D'addario used to do a set of super long slow wound strings that were even better, but I think they have stopped making them :(

I heard a rumour Ibanez have started making strings, if so I might give them a go.. if they made my bass, they have to make strings long enough for it :up:

I've used those elixir strings bgut they only lasted me 6 months before they sounded muddy.. Wouldnt waste my money tbh...

Depends how much I'm playing, I had a set only last me 10 months.. but I was playing with 3 bands back then.. :) Usually over a year, 18 months or so at the usual 5 hours a week ;)

Thats what I loved about the slow wounds, Ok they were like 80 quids but they lasted almost 2 years of sounding fantastic and another 6 months before you thought about changing them...

I did have a bad experience with d'addario recently though, I bought a set of strings for my bass.. where the tapering at the nut end of the string started at the 2nd fret, instead of the peg side of the nut :o So I took them back to the shop, who told me that they wouldnt replace them as I had already cut them to size.. :( I contacted d'addario, explaining the problem and also letting them know that I had been using their strings for 25 years.. But they wouldnt replace it either... $105 Aussie dollars wasted.. basturds!