aberdeen-music

Martial Arts in Aberdeen

WoodyRATM

Hello,

Me and the girlfriend are looking for some advice.

We're wanting to start doing a martial art but have no idea what would be best.

Looking for something that will keep us fit, get us stronger, be handy in a self defence case and have classes for beginners.

Any one got any ideas on what would be suitable? And if so if theres any classes in Aberdeen. I was thinking Kickboxing but im not sure.

Cheers in advance.

Hello,

Me and the girlfriend are looking for some advice.

We're wanting to start doing a martial art but have no idea what would be best.

Looking for something that will keep us fit, get us stronger, be handy in a self defence case and have classes for beginners.

Any one got any ideas on what would be suitable? And if so if theres any classes in Aberdeen. I was thinking Kickboxing but im not sure.

Cheers in advance.

Hi there,

I hold a 1st dan in Kafdo Karate and also a first dan in Aiki Jitsu. Also took lessons in a form of dirty boxing for 2 years. John is a 4th dan master in both of those and has studied numerous other forms of martial art. He's also got a dan grade in several weapons.

From around March 2008 we began testing everything we had learned on each other full contact/force as fully resisting opponents, wearing street clothes including shoes and with no protective equipment other than gum shields. Along the way I had a few visits to the dentist ;) The results were interesting and in some cases unexpected... and from this experience we developed Street Combat System, and started teaching classes at the beginning of the year.

The beginners class utilises teaching methods not commonly employed by traditional martial arts, and follows a reiterative 8 week syllabus. We anticipate the average student becoming proficient within 6 months to a year, depending on how frequently they train. Having no previous experience is a distinct advantage.

Thus far it has become apparent that girls are more likely to stick with the course than boys, and although women only make up perhaps 10% of new students the class now consists ~50% of women!

The first 6 weeks of training are free, after that it's 5 per lesson. Adult classes are at St Margaret's Church Hall in the Gallowgate on Thursday's at 1930-2200. We don't operate a belt system, and you just wear trackies and trainers. You can start at any time, but week one of the syllabus rolls around again on Thursday 25th of June.

In terms of your goals... well in the 3 years I've been training (albeit frequently and obsessively) I've lost over 50lbs in weight and gained the ability to perform 15 handstand pushups so it has the potential to make a person fit and strong. I used the training in a few minor incidents, and witnessed John use it on several occasions too... but we won't mention that time with the dude with the wooden leg :)

If you're looking for something more traditional then I'd recommend Kafdo Karate Aikido Jitsu, which runs in the same location on Tuesday evenings, although John and myself are no longer connected with that.

Flash

Also took lessons in a form of dirty boxing for 2 years.

Please tell me that is the art of surprising someone with a pair of soiled underwear?

e.g. What shall I do with these dirty boxers? I know I'll dirty box flash because he enjoys dirty boxing.

Kafdo Karate Aikido Jitsu? How exactly does one become proficient in all of these in a martial arts career that started in his late 40's/50's. Karl Felber (sp) gained his Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do (Tukido) 6 months or a yr behind me then promptly left to start a new brand 'Martial Art' not based at all on his previous teachings. Bit of a laughing stock around the Aberdeen martial arts scene at the time. Not sure where or what he is up to now. I, having gained said belt and also studied Ailkido (a few years ago now) for a couple of years, still wouldn't have consider myself anywhere near proficient enough to teach. The bokken would come in handy for clobbering like but then so would a big stick. I could teach that.

All that said the stuff I'm seeing on the videos of your Street Combat System looks very good indeed. Mightly impressed so I am. I wouldn't mind getting involved myself if it weren't for the fact that I am unable to pick up a pencil without straining something these days.o_O

Hi there,

I hold a 1st dan in Kafdo Karate and also a first dan in Aiki Jitsu. Also took lessons in a form of dirty boxing for 2 years. John is a 4th dan master in both of those and has studied numerous other forms of martial art. He's also got a dan grade in several weapons.

(Mental note: don't fuck with the staff at the Moorings)

Kafdo Karate Aikido Jitsu? How exactly does one become proficient in all of these in a martial arts career that started in his late 40's/50's. Karl Felber (sp) gained his Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do (Tukido) 6 months or a yr behind me then promptly left to start a new brand 'Martial Art' not based at all on his previous teachings. Bit of a laughing stock around the Aberdeen martial arts scene at the time. Not sure where or what he is up to now. I, having gained said belt and also studied Ailkido (a few years ago now) for a couple of years, still wouldn't have consider myself anywhere near proficient enough to teach. The bokken would come in handy for clobbering like but then so would a big stick. I could teach that.

All that said the stuff I'm seeing on the videos of your Street Combat System looks very good indeed. Mightly impressed so I am. I wouldn't mind getting involved myself if it weren't for the fact that I am unable to pick up a pencil without straining something these days.o_O

Hah - there's been a lot of rumours spread about Master Felber and he won a case of defamation over this a few years back. Here's the full story:

Master Felber's experience started in the late 50s when his father sent him to boxing lessons. He boxed throughout the 60s and fought bare knuckle for money on a few occasions. He started training in karate when it first came to Aberdeen (I think in 1962), and gained his 1st dan in 1967 aged 20, about a year after Ronnie gained his black belt.

From the late 60s to present he's devoted pretty much his entire life to studying martial arts, traveling to train intensively with the best instructors that he could find. I know that he trained in aikido and jujitsu during the 1970s and then aikijitsu and weapons during the 1980s.

He developed Kafdo between 1980 (around the time he left tae kwon do) and 1984 when he registered it with the Okinawan Martial Arts Union (this is easily verifiable). It's a mixture of techniques from everything he's studied including boxing - hence the name (which I agree is misleading). Bear in mind that this was before MMA emerged, and at the time it was considered by many in the MA community to be heresy, hence much of the bad feeling. He's qualified to award dan grades in karate, aikijitsu, and trad weapons. I have a video of him cutting through a fence post with my L7 katana in one fell swoop. his sword work is amazing. There's also videos of him slicing a watermelon in half while it's balanced on someone's stomach, and I witnessed this live back in December.

He was one of the founders of the World and British Martial Arts Federation but resigned in support of James Monclair.

He has always graded outside of his own art, and he gifted me a full duplicate (not a copy) of his DAI-SHIHAN (Great Master) certificate of appointment. This was in Juko-Kai Kokuasi Renmai. It's signed (clearly in hand) by both Dr Rod Sacharnoski, soke and also Shian Toma, soke and President of the All Okinawan Seidokan Motobu-ryu Association. His registration number is 1195. The certificate is clearly genuine.

I've spent a lot of time with Karl, and so I know about a lot of the history and politics. Personally, my take on it is that there's a lot of jealousy involved. I previously trained in Shotokan Karate at Scottish Shotokan centers (Ronnie) and before that when I was a youngster in Wado Ru. The instruction I received from Karl was superior in every way.

Karl keeps a folder with all his grading certificates, plus letters, press clippings, and photos. I've seen both of his commendations from the police, in each instance there are photos of him receiving a medal, one of those was 2 years ago, and I've subsequently met and trained with the police officer that he rescued from 5 attackers! I've also seen letter of thanks from The Royal Marines for unarmed combat training courses that Karl ran for them, and I believe he is actually running a course for them at present, even though he's 62 years old. If you'd like to see his scrap book then I can probably arrange that... if you've got a couple of hours to spare :) MTA can also vouch for all this.

Sorry for the lengthy reply, but although I no longer train in Kafdo I do feel that Karl's reputation is worth defending!

Thanks for the kind words about SCS :)

the police officer that he rescued from 5 attackers!

Tell us more... That sounds like comic book stuff.

I meant to post in this thread when it first came up saying how much I liked the idea of your street combat training. I'm moving back to abdn soon and will perhaps get involved.

Tell us more... That sounds like comic book stuff.

I meant to post in this thread when it first came up saying how much I liked the idea of your street combat training. I'm moving back to abdn soon and will perhaps get involved.

I got told it by Craig, the police officer involved. I also saw the photo of Karl and Craig getting their commendations. Craig is a British Transport Policeman and based at Aberdeen station.

There had been some disturbance I think either in, or around the Lorne Bar (but might have been Aitchies), and the Craig was the nearest policeman so he responded to the call. When he arrived on the scene he was met by this old guy (Karl was 60 at the time) who told him which way the guy had gone, and then said "I'll help you". Craig, thinking "yeah right" ran after the suspect, managed to tackle him to the ground and was struggling to cuff him. At this point four of the suspects buddies showed up and one of them aimed a kick at Craig's head.

At this point Karl intervened. I think a couple of them ran off once Karl started, but he took out the other two. Craig had been so intent in struggling with the guy in the ground was oblivious to all this. He finished cuffing the original guy and stood up, then this voice behind him said "I've dealt with the rest of them", he turned round and there's the old guy standing over the two men he'd incapacitated.

That might not be 100% accurate but you get the drift.

I got told it by Craig, the police officer involved. I also saw the photo of Karl and Craig getting their commendations. Craig is a British Transport Policeman and based at Aberdeen station.

There had been some disturbance I think either in, or around the Lorne Bar (but might have been Aitchies), and the Craig was the nearest policeman so he responded to the call. When he arrived on the scene he was met by this old guy (Karl was 60 at the time) who told him which way the guy had gone, and then said "I'll help you". Craig, thinking "yeah right" ran after the suspect, managed to tackle him to the ground and was struggling to cuff him. At this point four of the suspects buddies showed up and one of them aimed a kick at Craig's head.

At this point Karl intervened. I think a couple of them ran off once Karl started, but he took out the other two. Craig had been so intent in struggling with the guy in the ground was oblivious to all this. He finished cuffing the original guy and stood up, then this voice behind him said "I've dealt with the rest of them", he turned round and there's the old guy standing over the two men he'd incapacitated.

That might not be 100% accurate but you get the drift.

"incapacitated" says enough. what a hero.

I always fancied trying a mixed style martial art, dabbled with Judo (very old school style including hybradised variants) when I was kid and also did a little bit of mixed combat when I was over in Europe and enjoyed it but then girls, beer and work got in the way of most things. To old, fat, slow, injured these days but at least my beer arm still works (sort of apart from the trapped nerve) and I can just about work my DVD remote to watch martial arts films which will be about the closest I get. As I can't even leg it if trouble brews due to a completely goosed knee I have to rely on witty charm and wearing a Motorhead t-shirt.

I always fancied trying a mixed style martial art, dabbled with Judo (very old school style including hybradised variants) when I was kid and also did a little bit of mixed combat when I was over in Europe and enjoyed it but then girls, beer and work got in the way of most things. To old, fat, slow, injured these days but at least my beer arm still works (sort of apart from the trapped nerve) and I can just about work my DVD remote to watch martial arts films which will be about the closest I get. As I can't even leg it if trouble brews due to a completely goosed knee I have to rely on witty charm and wearing a Motorhead t-shirt.

That's how I felt... I'd seriously inuured my upper back and neck in 2002 herniating discs and trapping nerves. I was 65 pounds over weight, and could barely climb a flight of stairs without getting knackered. And to top it all I was necking 150-200 units a week. But it's amazing how the human body can overcome injury if you give it an imperative. Here's some before and after shots:

BEFORE

l_268109e72be64c479d73ae7431420c81.jpg

AFTER

flash_john.jpg

Buff! :)

I'll add to what I was saying earlier and thanks for the deeper insight. I always got on well with Karl and had no problem with him. I'm sure he'll say the same. He distanced himself from the club and bad mouthed a few people so understandably things were somewhat tense for a while due to club loyalty and that. In the maturing year one tends to look back and grimace from time to time. Certainly wouldn't pass him in the street if I saw him and if you do happen to see him say Jim Ewen says hi.

How hard is SCS on the joints and the like by the way? I wouldn't mind something that will buff without breaking and that Jnr may enjoy as well. He's at Karate at the mo.

:up:

Buff! :)

I'll add to what I was saying earlier and thanks for the deeper insight. I always got on well with Karl and had no problem with him. I'm sure he'll say the same. He distanced himself from the club and bad mouthed a few people so understandably things were somewhat tense for a while due to club loyalty and that. In the maturing year one tends to look back and grimace from time to time. Certainly wouldn't pass him in the street if I saw him and if you do happen to see him say Jim Ewen says hi.

How hard is SCS on the joints and the like by the way? I wouldn't mind something that will buff without breaking and that Jnr may enjoy as well. He's at Karate at the mo.

:up:

Karl can be difficult at times :) I pass on your regards.

We teach a full fitness regime to support the training. The fitness regime can be done standalone, but there are benefits to doing both. The training encourages a desire to stay fit.

The supporting stuff is a mixture of kinetic tension exercises, isometrics, calisthenics, and cardio. There's also some dietary advice. It's all based on the old physical culture stuff that predated weight training so there's no weights involved and the exercises are very good at healing knackered joints. Aside from my back injury I've had joint problems related to weight training such as blown rotator cuffs, tennis elbow AND golf elbow and have managed to rehabilitate all of these. I wish I'd known all this stuff 20 years ago!

In addition to the classes there's some FOC informal sessions throughout the week, where a few of us get together. PM me if you'd like more details.

i do brazilian jiu jitsu at banks of dee with aliveness gym

can check them out at Aliveness Gym Aberdeen - What

great grappling sport and submissions are always fun not to good on the street if u hav twenty guys on you tho but the gym does offer muay thai and mixed martial arts classes

warehouse has a mma team and amag at the beach are good but hav alot less classes than they did at justice mill

• 1 month later...
Guest Motleyal

I train with the kafdo guys and thoroughly recommend it. I did a few weeks of SCS and the level of intensity is much higher (ie they train more in 'fight or flight' high adrenaline situations).

Personally I preferred the more traditional Kafdo route (although I did really enjoy the groundwork at SCS).

I can also vouch for all the Karl Felber stories and certifications.

So would you recommend it as a decent way to lose a bit of weight and get much fitter?

Fighting is brutal, and it's easier to fight effectively if you are fit and lean. This provides an imperative to get fit and lose weight. This type of imperative is missing from most health and fitness regimes. Not everyone can hack it, there's a very high attrition rate. You need to become desensitized to violence, and used to being hit. That's not a pleasant learning curve! The upside is that after a while you become less fearful, and much more confident.

We teach all the exercises necessary to support fighting skills, but attending a class a week isn't enough, you'd need to devote additional time to an exercise regime.

It's not necessary to lift weights or go to a gym, in fact weight training is counter productive in my opinion. The only training equipment you really need is a hard flat piece of floor. The only skill you need to begin is a little will power.

Fighting is brutal, and it's easier to fight effectively if you are fit and lean. This provides an imperative to get fit and lose weight. This type of imperative is missing from most health and fitness regimes. Not everyone can hack it, there's a very high attrition rate. You need to become desensitized to violence, and used to being hit. That's not a pleasant learning curve! The upside is that after a while you become less fearful, and much more confident.

We teach all the exercises necessary to support fighting skills, but attending a class a week isn't enough, you'd need to devote additional time to an exercise regime.

It's not necessary to lift weights or go to a gym, in fact weight training is counter productive in my opinion. The only training equipment you really need is a hard flat piece of floor. The only skill you need to begin is a little will power.

Definitely sounds interesting - would you recommend doing exercise to gain a bit of fitness prior to coming along, or are the classes suitable for an unfit person looking to get fit..?

Definitely sounds interesting - would you recommend doing exercise to gain a bit of fitness prior to coming along, or are the classes suitable for an unfit person looking to get fit..?

You can start at a low fitness level because everything we do is optional. If you get tired then you just sit out for a minute.

It's probably better to start while unfit as we'll show you stuff that will get you fit really quickly.

Just understand that these classes teach something that is inherently unpleasant, so you might need to force yourself to go for the first 8 weeks or so, after that you'll probably be more used to it. Even now there are times I find myself outside my personal comfort zone. Better to experience that in a training environment though...

You can start at a low fitness level because everything we do is optional. If you get tired then you just sit out for a minute.

It's probably better to start while unfit as we'll show you stuff that will get you fit really quickly.

Just understand that these classes teach something that is inherently unpleasant, so you might need to force yourself to go for the first 8 weeks or so, after that you'll probably be more used to it. Even now there are times I find myself outside my personal comfort zone. Better to experience that in a training environment though...

Okay, thanks for the advice. Sounds a bit cryptic, but I guess it's the kind of thing that all becomes apparant once you attend..?

I actually went to Kafdo Karate classes when I was a nipper (not that I expect that to have prepared me for these classes).