aberdeen-music

Intensive Driving Courses

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Right, it's time for me to learn to drive. It's ridiculous that I can't at my age.

I don't want it to be a long, drawn-out process though.

Can anyone recommend a decent school which does week-long courses, preferably in Scotland?

I've done a Google search, but I'd like to know about anyone's experiences using them and if they can put me in the direction of a worthwhile school/instructor.

i looked into these, but they were expensive and the pass rate wasn't very good. i think the semi intensive ones (over 2 weeks or so) are a bit better, but still hard going. i ended up taking just over 2 months to learn, and i passed 2 weeks ago. if you havent done it already, get your theory test out of the way. the waiting times for practical tests in aberdeen are quite long too, i know balgownie road is about 7 weeks or something. so you might be about as well to learn more gradually if you have to wait ages for a test!

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I did the intensive thing with A1 school of motoring. Failed my test at the end of it. I wouldn't recommend them.

I then didn't take a lesson or sit my test for 5 years later!!! I took lessons for about 2 months and sailed through. If there's anyone you can practise with in between lessons, I think it's a much better way to learn than driving all day for a week or whatever. Really didn't work for me!!

I think Roadwise do intensive courses. However I've had a 2 hour driving lesson every week for about 5months and my teacher said I'd be ready to book it next month so it only takes about 6 months! Plus I'm a girl so I guess it would take longer for me. It totally flies by as well.

2 hour lessons for 5 months?!

It's not that hard to drive a car!

How long do most people take? I've been getting an hour lesson every week for about a month, so going by that it's going to take me about a year to pass. I'll hopefully start 2 hour lessons in summer if I can afford it. Just want it over and done with.

How long do most people take? I've been getting an hour lesson every week for about a month, so going by that it's going to take me about a year to pass. I'll hopefully start 2 hour lessons in summer if I can afford it. Just want it over and done with.

Going roughly by all the people in my year who passed, I'd say around 20-30 lessons is about average. I took longer than that, and there were people who needed far fewer lessons, so it just depends really. Getting experience outside your lessons with someone else helps massively though.

when i was booking my test the place that seemed to have the shortest waiting times was actually inverurie, or the new test centre in altens. both of which were about a month til the first available slot. this was about 2 months ago now. cancellations are fairly easy to come by though so if you're ready quickly then just keep checking online at every opportunity. if you want contact details for an instructor who i recommend highly, pm me. i also have the latest official theory revision cd rom/hazard perception cd that you can have if you want it. hope you get there, its a great feeling.

I think Roadwise do intensive courses. However I've had a 2 hour driving lesson every week for about 5months and my teacher said I'd be ready to book it next month so it only takes about 6 months! Plus I'm a girl so I guess it would take longer for me. It totally flies by as well.

?( No reason it should take you any longer than anyone else surely?

I've toyed with the idea of doing an intensive course for a while, I had about 30 lessons a few years ago but then my instructer left the company and I didn't get round to getting a new one. That was with the AA because my dad got a deal through his insurance. They were pretty good

I think it's probably best done like any kind of studying, cramming isn't going to yield the best results.

I used Roadwise for normal lessons as opposed to the intense course. Got through it pretty quick. I think a few lessons in that if I then went for the intense course, I'd have been alright. Starting from having never driven before (and not driving between lessons), I figured the course would've been a waste because getting going initially may have taken longer than I liked, thus wasting one of the few available days! :)

Guest Hobo
Overall I think women are safer drivers but I feel they take longer to learn!

Women seem to have more crashes and bumps, men just seem to have more spectacular crashes thus increasing the press coverage. Unless of course the headline reads "Women crashes into stationary wall whilst applying makeup"

• 2 weeks later...

Roadwise do the intensive driving course however you have to book slightly in advance. They do recommend against it though because of the lower pass rates. I'd suggest take it slower and try and do it in a few months with trying to get as much time in your own/ families car as possible.

Also the average pass is after about 40 hours which sounds a lot, but really isn't that bad.

I did my driving with Roadwise and passed first time with only 1 minor so I'd 100% recommend them. The guys are really good too.

Roadwise Driver Training, the North East's largest independent driving school

0800 0151642