aberdeen-music

Camping Spots

Pop up tents are the bomb. I bought one for a piss up in Ullapool last year and it took seconds to put up, which meant more drinking time.

Taking it down was a different story though...

I got eaten alive on Ullapool campsite many years back by the midgies nae good!

I got eaten alive on Ullapool campsite many years back by the midgies nae good!

When the other group of our mates arrived an hour after we did, they were slagging us off for drinking in the car when it was a sunny day outside. I've never seen someone put a tent up whilst swatting their hands about like a lunatic before that day!

We then found out there is a certain type of Nivea moisturiser that midges hate, so all the West Coasters use it daily. Can't remember the exact one, but a quick google search would find it...

When the other group of our mates arrived an hour after we did, they were slagging us off for drinking in the car when it was a sunny day outside. I've never seen someone put a tent up whilst swatting their hands about like a lunatic before that day!

We then found out there is a certain type of Nivea moisturiser that midges hate, so all the West Coasters use it daily. Can't remember the exact one, but a quick google search would find it...

skin so soft

We're going to the 'Party on the Pier' on July 11th which was unbelievably good last year. To think i'd managed to live 24 years of life before seeing my first '3-legged-fancy-dress-pub-crawl-quiz'!! Incredible night out in beautiful scenery :)

ha ha ha my cousins hen night was during that I believe!

lots of woods round the back of storybook glen in maryculter which is pretty close to peterculter.

best way is to drive all the way up into maryculter until the road ends (turns into forestry track). think they've harvested a lot of the trees now though.

and another place is 56.978113, -3.625778 on google maps, it's like 4 miles past linn of dee car park. just after the track crosses the river (track will be on the left hand side of the river now) there is a natural camping spot by the river. a rock formation acts as a natural barrier from the wind, and also contains natural fireplaces in the rock. there is a deep pool to swim and jump in from the rocks (climb the otherside for a 5-6m drop) but also a big sand bank to laze about in.

• Upvote 1

I went on an ace camping trip with the school in 1995, it was somewhere up near Elgin, you had to walk down some really steep hills to get there (almost cliffs!) and there was a beach and some caves at the bottom. I tried to find it again recently but I can't remember where it was. I think it might have been somewhere near Lhanbryde. Does anyone know where this might have been? I'd love to spend another night there.

I went on an ace camping trip with the school in 1995, it was somewhere up near Elgin, you had to walk down some really steep hills to get there (almost cliffs!) and there was a beach and some caves at the bottom. I tried to find it again recently but I can't remember where it was. I think it might have been somewhere near Lhanbryde. Does anyone know where this might have been? I'd love to spend another night there.

100% definitely Primrose Bay, which is near Hopeman.

Primrose bay (near Hopeman, which is north of Elgin)

HopemanSentinel.jpg

_wsb_433x300_0404_Cove_Bay.jpg

In the 2nd photo there is a cave in the right hand side where *apparently* sailors used to smuggle rum into the mainland. It is rumoured to be a kilometre or two long, but we've got too scared/muddy/wet about half a km in.

There is also a great wee chunk of the cliff missing, which means you can climb up and sit inside a cliff and watch the sunset with a few tins. Here's a picture of us on tour with Glasgow band Julia Thirteen (Jonny from Take a worm and Doc from Aereogramme present), sitting in said chunk of cliff.

775186509a4012328754b27886340l.jpg

lots of woods round the back of storybook glen in maryculter which is pretty close to peterculter.

best way is to drive all the way up into maryculter until the road ends (turns into forestry track). think they've harvested a lot of the trees now though.

and another place is 56.978113, -3.625778 on google maps, it's like 4 miles past linn of dee car park. just after the track crosses the river (track will be on the left hand side of the river now) there is a natural camping spot by the river. a rock formation acts as a natural barrier from the wind, and also contains natural fireplaces in the rock. there is a deep pool to swim and jump in from the rocks (climb the otherside for a 5-6m drop) but also a big sand bank to laze about in.

Cheers sound lovely!

and if you carry on up that track you can head into the Lairig Ghru, which is a pretty spectacular walk.

On a related note - can anyone with the knowledge and expertise advise me on where I should go to invest in a basic one or two berth tent that won't break the bank?

If you're just looking for a tent for the weekend, I should still have a two man tent at me Mam's you can borrow if you want to save your pennies. I can have a look next time I'm in Stoney if you want?

Guest idol_wild
If you're just looking for a tent for the weekend, I should still have a two man tent at me Mam's you can borrow if you want to save your pennies. I can have a look next time I'm in Stoney if you want?

Coolbeans, but I think my Pop is lending me his, yo. :up: