aberdeen-music

Needing a new amp on budget

berni907

I repeat this advice to some people also, "don't buy equipment for a gig you don't have yet",

Rubbish. Guitar playing is a hobby. Fuck all wrong with enjoying your guitar tone at home or using it for recording if you're not in a band. Advising not to buy a good amp because you're not in a gigging band is absolutely ridiculous.

check out bugera they are cheap cheerfull made by chinese people and i think the sound not bad

I've heard they ain't too cheerful, apparently they have piss poor reliability. Though I've also heard for the brief time they do work they sound fantastic for the money. Can't remember where I heard about the reliability issues though, was either on here or through a friend who frequents the Harmony Central forums.

I would second any shouts of DSL 50. I would also say that the Blackstar HT5 mini stack kinda thing would be worth a look. It is pretty small, and only 5 watt. But the piddly power rating combined with it being all valve means that when it is turned up to 11 (which it would more or less need to be for gigs) it is both loud enough and sounds ace coz the valves are being majorly driven.

Rubbish. Guitar playing is a hobby. Fuck all wrong with enjoying your guitar tone at home or using it for recording if you're not in a band. Advising not to buy a good amp because you're not in a gigging band is absolutely ridiculous.

I think he was maybe meaning no point buying a 100 watt stack in anticipation of playing Wembley if you are just going to be jamming at Tom's, at least that's what I took it to mean.

I think he was maybe meaning no point buying a 100 watt stack in anticipation of playing Wembley if you are just going to be jamming at Tom's, at least that's what I took it to mean.

Exactly. It is also quite possible that you would enjoy your giotar tone more from something smaller (and usuaully cheaper) that you can run at sensible volumes more easily.

Another suggestion that I haven't noticed yet is Orange Tiny Terror (either combo or mini head).

Also, Unless I've missed it the OP hasn't really told us his budget or wherever he plans to use it.

Another suggestion that I haven't noticed yet is Orange Tiny Terror (either combo or mini head).

I was looking at the tiny terror or the dual terror. Seems a great deal but the fact they're chinese made puts me off.

I was looking at the tiny terror or the dual terror. Seems a great deal but the fact they're chinese made puts me off.

I don't really have too much of a problem with this kind of thing. To be honest I think the workers in Japanese/Chinese/Korean factories are likely to be more conscientious than your average American Joe these days.

Would the fact that Orange are a UK firm, albeit with manufacturing outsourcing, mean that it would be easier to get resolution if something went wrong? one would hope so. I quite fancy the Dual Terror as well, and the TT has had good reviews, I suppose if I got near the point of affording one I'd trawl the net for comments

Would the fact that Orange are a UK firm, albeit with manufacturing outsourcing, mean that it would be easier to get resolution if something went wrong? one would hope so. I quite fancy the Dual Terror as well, and the TT has had good reviews, I suppose if I got near the point of affording one I'd trawl the net for comments

True. The Dual Terror looks really versatile. I love the idea of having one amp that can switch between 30, 15 and 7 watts for gigs, practice or home use and that's easy to carry around.

Need to sell my solid state combo first though.

For the price they are, you might as well get the Matamp equivelant to a Tiny Terror, knowing that it was handmade in Huddersfield incase anything goes wrong. Orange amps are nowhere near the quality they used to be.

fully second that having owned a minimat. for every 1 minimat that is sold there are probably 1000 TT's sold... the MM has the superior tone by far imo...

...And received.

I read yesterday about the forthcoming Hayden Mofo (great name) 30 watt head, low power option, pressed steel case like a TT/Night Train etc, under 500, UK built chat, in Guitar Buyer. It was a preview but it was meant to sound good in beta testing.

I don't have any cabs yet, but I doubt I could be arsed carrying anything bigger than a 1x 12.

Just played through one today in r'n'b. SOOOOO buying it if it's still there next month. HANDS OFF MOTHERFUCKERS!

You can get some fucking beautiful blues tones out of it. The distortion channel's not too bad either. I'd LOVE to stick a delay through it and mess around. nice.

John, just been checking them out. they don't look too bad. i'm gonna see if rnb have any and try one out. you are getting rep!

Also, now that i think about it. would i be well off getting a line6 spider 1 2 or 3? they look like pretty good all rounders... but i dunno. played one once and it seemed too fiddly. want a kinda simple: "channel 1 - clean, channel 2 - Distortion, treble, mid, bass, reverb" kinda thing if you catch my drift. need something to compliment my Ibanez RG570 with these seymour duncans in. :D

i remember bruce millers having a valve king in stock a while back, pretty good amp! dont think rnb have them... and from what i remember they were kinda hard to find! but i was looking for the head, not the combo.. so that might be why.:up: