aberdeen-music

Anybody want to start a funk band?(no metal!)

Mustardman

Hi folks,

I am a 29 year old bass player, been in Aberdeen for about 7 years, studied up here, now working. However, I have my longest yearning to start a funk band. Fellow band members must share similar taste.

My influences/likes: Herbie Hancock, The meters, Pleasure, Zeppelin, Franz Ferdinand, Lalo Schriffin(Dirty Harry, Bullitt, Magnum Force theme tunes), Funkadelic, Jonas Hellborg, John Mclaughlin, Mandrill, Joe Tex, The Commodores(some of the funky stuff), Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads, Brecker Brothers, AC/DC, Tower of Power...etc Tight bands!

I wouldn't classify Aberdeen as having a funk scene compared to the likes of Glasgow/Edinburgh....but there must be some folk out there who want to groove?? Possibly play covers, then progress from there.....

:)

RockAustin on here is probably your best bet. Even if he doesn't want to do it, he probably knows folk that'd be up for it.

Cheers dude. Love the Tom Weir Avatar....the guy was a big influence on me, late night watching!! I missed his funeral two years back, has done alot for Scottish Outdoors, more so than the fecking Scottish Parliament IMHO.

RockAustin I will probably PM and try and get i touch with him. :)

Guest droid
Hi folks,

I am a 29 year old bass player, been in Aberdeen for about 7 years, studied up here, now working. However, I have my longest yearning to start a funk band. Fellow band members must share similar taste.

My influences/likes: Herbie Hancock, The meters, Pleasure, Zeppelin, Franz Ferdinand, Lalo Schriffin(Dirty Harry, Bullitt, Magnum Force theme tunes), Funkadelic, Jonas Hellborg, John Mclaughlin, Mandrill, Joe Tex, The Commodores(some of the funky stuff), Stevie Wonder, Talking Heads, Brecker Brothers, AC/DC, Tower of Power...etc Tight bands!

I wouldn't classify Aberdeen as having a funk scene compared to the likes of Glasgow/Edinburgh....but there must be some folk out there who want to groove?? Possibly play covers, then progress from there.....

Check out Chemical Callum at the Tunnels Fri.Originator of the neo Aberdeen funk scene.Vintage Hammond led Phunk.

Hi folks,

I'd love to get involved in this, unfortunately i'm a bass player too. :down:

I love all types of music but i'm really into stuff like graham Central Station, Earth Wind and Fire, The Meters, Black Heat, Cold Grits, Charles Watts and th 103rd St rhythm band, Bootsy, Wilson Pickett, Detroit Sex Machines etc.

Let us know how it gets on.

Yeah, definitely check out Chemical Callum this Friday coming.

Glad to hear some more folk getting into the funk scene.

The only place in Aberdeen where I have heard funk has to be The Tunnels....I love the tunnels, but it is always half empty at times. Promotion is certainly needed at this venue.

Will try and check out Chemical Callum.

Yeah, it's not in a great location for random people walking by so you definitely need to advertise a lot even to get the place half full! Aberdeen is a strange place for gigs though, you can do the same amount of promotion where some nights are insanely busy and other times gigs are dead. I'm sure this is a combo of the time of the month the gig is on, what other bands/club nights are going on elsewhere and the weather!

There are definitely not a huge number of people creating funk in Aberdeen. As Droid says though, Callum is a phenominal hammond player (as well as all other keyboards!!), you don't find many people as good as he.

still waiting................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Why aren't you looking for a bassist? :swearing:

I'd love to be involved in a project like this.

Anyone go see Chemical Callum on Friday night?

I did go and see CC on Friday.....enjoyed it thoroughly. I was only able to make an hour due to being cunted from earlier festivities. Certainly was up my street!! Good shout.

I have actually had some response back via my private messages...didnt get any notification though...my account settings need to be changed to allow them..BAA

I was also there, damn good stuff as always. Shame there weren't a few more people there to enjoy the quality music.

If you liked that, you could try the funk/hip hop night that a group of us put on called Funk Machine Present. The next one is in the Blue Lamp, Super Six Funk Machine supporting Belleruche on Thursday 18th June. Super Six will also be playing on Wed 10th June in a fairly mixed night of music.

We haven't booked the next Funk Machine Presents night after that yet due to holidays and need to get prepared for some much needed recording for Super Six. If you get your group together you will have a night available to play at once you get there. Good luck with getting things together.

Guest droid

Chemical Callum...............SMOKIN!:up:

This is totally decent, along the lines of what Zony Mash boys do

Would have loved to be sitting watching that, looks like someone's living room.

I like that alot. Dunno if my index finger could keep up! LOL!

Looks like it's on Soccer AM too!!

Guest droid
This is totally decent, along the lines of what Zony Mash boys do

Would have loved to be sitting watching that, looks like someone's living room.

Dude,i'm convinced not enuff peeps want to listen to that style of music in Aberdeen anymore.

Guest droid

Cool there's one,anymore takers?I'm sure CC was looking for more than 20 peeps to turn up!....Haha. AAAAAberdeeen=nae funky ony mare,unless it's a night wi hip hop and stuff ! Bless

Cool there's one,anymore takers?I'm sure CC was looking for more than 20 peeps to turn up!....Haha. AAAAAberdeeen=nae funky ony mare,unless it's a night wi hip hop and stuff ! Bless

Yeah, shame there wasn't more folk. They were ace though so treat for those that were there.