aberdeen-music

Possible new music venue

Alphas

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
It should be a swimming pool, end of debate, but for the incompetent chiselling crooks that make up the council.

Exactly. If the useless fucks at the council can afford to run a music venue (inevitably) badly, they can afford to run a swimming pool.

All the kids are getting fat, let them exercise.

• 2 weeks later...
Exactly. If the useless fucks at the council can afford to run a music venue (inevitably) badly, they can afford to run a swimming pool.

All the kids are getting fat, let them exercise.

Hmm. Unless I've missed something I'd be presuming they'd rent or sell the building on rather than operating the proposed venue themselves. I really don't think it's necessary though- is there really demand in Aberdeen for another mid sized venue like this? At one point I may have argued that we could use a venue that filled the gap between the Music Hall and AECC for established acts who sell out the Music Hall immediately but I have doubts over the necessity of it. I'd definitely prefer it to re-open in the current state, but the chances of that seem to be getting slimmer.

I dived off the top board once. Manliest moment of my life. My Dad actually cried.

YouTube - Mr. Bean goes to the swimming pool

Seconded.

That place couldn't have cost that much to run in the first place. Plus it was always busy. I used to swim there every monday and there were usually about 50 people swimming and 10-15 people using the gym at any one time.

That wasn't even at peak times.

:down:

i think the problem was the size of the building and the fact the pool wasnt busy enough to sustain it consistantly.

It should be a swimming pool, end of debate, but for the incompetent chiselling crooks that make up the council.

This, exactly!

However, if it is to be put to another use, this idea seems more attractive than yet more shit flats/unlettable retail.

I remain to be convinced that the scheme won't have a significant amount of this included though. :(

Theres only a few venues in aberdeen and not THAT many people go to them... why would they build another?

Because the council planners in this town get an idea into their badly laid out heads and they never let it go. There has been talk of a mid sized venue, 800 capacity, for a few years now. Even through the evidence suggests that we don't need one just now, and certainly not at there.