aberdeen-music

Has anyone noticed their spelling getting shit as they get older?

Guest idol_wild
I just sat for five minutes trying to spell 'emperor'. The other day I was in fits over 'occasion'.

Frustratingly, I was beginning to spontaneously combust trying to spell the word 'calendar'.

Yes, I am getting old.

Guest idol_wild
Ive always been shit at spelling! I really hate it when using predictive text on a phone and it starts spelling a word your not meaning.

Definitely is another pain in the arse to spell.

Predictive text has it's funny moments though. I have two friends called Heather - through predictive text, it types as "heavier" and my friend Marty (not McFly) comes up as "nasty."

Also, if I try to type "pint", then it prefers to spell "shot" and "riot."

So in order to go for a "pint", we need to go for a "shot" followed by a "riot" first. Sounds like a night out in Portlethen's Nicol Park.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Ive always been shit at spelling! I really hate it when using predictive text on a phone and it starts spelling a word your not meaning.

Definitely is another pain in the arse to spell.

The number of people who spell definitely wrong is unbelievable. There is no 'a' in definitely!!

I had a thing about this for a while because my mother-in-law argued with me about a Definitely Maybe poster I had, saying that Oasis must have spelt it wrong on the album cover/poster. I showed her the dictionary and she still wasn't convinced! I asked a lot of people for a while and the only person (at that time) I could find who could spell it correctly was my own mum - probably the reason I could spell it correctly.

I think a load of teachers for a while must have been spelling it wrong and teaching the kids the wrong spelling.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Predictive text has it's funny moments though. I have two friends called Heather - through predictive text, it types as "heavier" and my friend Marty (not McFly) comes up as "nasty."

Also, if I try to type "pint", then it prefers to spell "shot" and "riot."

So in order to go for a "pint", we need to go for a "shot" followed by a "riot" first. Sounds like a night out in Portlethen's Nicol Park.

For years predictive text wanted to call me "cajun"

On my phone, it chooses the words "Aides" over "Cheer" in predictive text. They know me far too well.

These days, my typing is terrible. I have to make so many corrections, but not instant ones where I know I've made a mistake. Ones where I look back and realise I've typed a couple of words the wrong way round, or all the right letters to a word, but in a mashed up order. Terrible.

(the advantage/disadvantage of going out with someone who's studying english to PhD level).

I have a mere GCSE in English. I scraped a C, and I've known how to spell d'efinitely' for quite a long time. I also call people on their spelling, regardless of my education. I think it's because I'm a right prick, though.

Using the wrong words is also something I can get uppity about. Someone I used to work with kept saying "pacifically" which I don't think is even a word, but she meant "specifically". Goof.

Yes and I blame heavy instant messenger use in the early '00s, where I seem to have picked up many bad spellings from other people. At least that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Fortunately, automatic spell-checking in browsers masks my terrible affliction most of the time on-line.

I don't even want to consider the state of my handwriting which is probably worse than the smartest non-human primate's at this point. I can't even read it...