aberdeen-music

Debutant Seeks Band

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Hello.

Some of you may or may not know about Debutant. It's a project I started about a year and a half ago - purely as a bedroom recording project. However, I kept being invited to play shows and the more I played, the more I realised I enjoyed it and enjoyed the songs. Since then, a number of people across the UK started to take genuine interest in the music and I received some independent radio airplay in Spain of all countries! Earlier this year I went on a 2 week, 10-date tour of the UK & Ireland and enjoyed it massively. I have now been invited to release an EP later in the year on Edinburgh's newest little independent label, mini50 records. I've said yes.

Now, having played live lots, I have reverted to a previous desire to make Debutant a full band. I am now making serious efforts to attempt recruitment. I know it's going to be difficult to find the right people, but I'm sure you're out there. There are certain qualities I think I'll require from other people I want to make music with. These are:

- Dedication and flexibility: I will require you to be willing to take time off work/further education/family in order to play out of town one-off shows and tour. However, I should state right now that Debutant will always be a relatively flexible outfit. Should I be fortunate enough to assemble a band, if circumstances dictate that the full band can't play a show but I can, then I'd still play it on my own in it's current form.

- Broad and passionate interest in music. It would be helpful if you liked a bit of ambient, experimental, electronic, post-rock and shoegaze.

- Your own musical equipment.

- Be able to play and use them to a standard that is it least equal to mine (which, if I am honest, isn't especially high, so I don't think I'm excluding anyone here).

- A genuine interest in my material with the primary aim of making it bigger, better and more dynamic.

- Willingness to invest money into recording and touring.

- The ability to rehearse at least once a week in Aberdeen; perhaps twice a week.

- Creative urges.

Musically, I listen to a very wide range of music but I'd say my most immediate influences are:

The Appleseed Cast

Deerhunter

Joy Division

Peter Broderick

Mogwai

My Bloody Valentine

The Twilight Sad

Slowdive

Eluvium

Grouper

The Album Leaf

Low

Anything involving Mark Kozelek

I'd quite like it if you were aware of and interested in some of these artists.

In terms of actual instrumentation, I am completely open-minded. But I'd like the basics of a good, solid drummer; a bassist; and guitars. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who plays any musical instrument who feels they can contribute. Glockenspiels, laptop, strings, melodica, electronics, samples, extra percussion. Anything at all considered!

Please don't let the attraction of a "release" and a "tour" attract you more than it should. Both will require a serious load of work and neither are glamorous in any way. Also, avoid getting in touch if you like the idea of being in a band for the sake of being able to say "I'm in a band."

If you are interested, then write me some words by:

Emailing me at pquirie@hotmail.com

Messaging me on myspace

Sending me a PM

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Hopefully the right people are out there.

Debutant on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

[/ESSAY]

i'd be well up for this, but I'm moving. Gay!

Pfft. So am I. But I applied. Wheres your commitment?

(Actually thats fine, seeing as we play the same instrument and you're much, much better than I)

Guest idol_wild
I'm moving to Edinburgh in August.

I did not know this.

Hey, if I fail to find the right drummer up here (which is probable as all the good and suitable ones seem to already be in bands), then I may end up in Edinburgh by the end of the year, so if this is the case, you will be the first to know.

What are you moving to Edinburgh for, apart from the obvious fact that it is a beautiful city with lots going on? Secured a job or course placement down there?

I did not know this.

Hey, if I fail to find the right drummer up here (which is probable as all the good and suitable ones seem to already be in bands), then I may end up in Edinburgh by the end of the year, so if this is the case, you will be the first to know.

What are you moving to Edinburgh for, apart from the obvious fact that it is a beautiful city with lots going on? Secured a job or course placement down there?

You have mentioned it all above. Its just better. More goiung on and not far away from Glasgow if I want to go there ever. I don't really like Glasgow, so I don't want to move there.

No job lined up, no flat lined up. But flat will be sorted soon, and I'll go there with savings and try and get a job doing some work at the festivals I think. Wouldn't mind taking a break from the old sound anyways. 6 days a week has fried my mind.

Guest idol_wild
You have mentioned it all above. Its just better. More goiung on and not far away from Glasgow if I want to go there ever. I don't really like Glasgow, so I don't want to move there.

No job lined up, no flat lined up. But flat will be sorted soon, and I'll go there with savings and try and get a job doing some work at the festivals I think. Wouldn't mind taking a break from the old sound anyways. 6 days a week has fried my mind.

Just move down with your rig and busk. Whap out some awesome bass compositions. The kids on Hunter Square will love that shizz.

Guest idol_wild
Good luck. Would have probably been interested in playing drums before I took a sabbatical, because I like the cut of your jib.

Sorry that's not much help (compliment aside).

:up:

You sod. The role of drummer is pretty crucial. Hopefully someone out there is interested and capable.

Thanks for the kind words, though. :)

Guest idol_wild
I don't think I would have the time for a 3rd band as a full time thing at the moment but if you need help for recordings etc give me a shout if you lack options.

Yeah, I figured that'd be the case - otherwise I'd have asked you directly. I understand you're a busy man with family and other musical commitments. Cheers for the recording offer. :up:

Loving your music... been having myspace troubles lately, it's not been wanting to play me people's songs, but managed to get a couple of yours in today finally.

Would have loved to join in with some soundscaping/sampling action but one serious band at a time is more than enough to cope with. Good luck with it and look forward to seeing it in action some time.

Was just thinking about this and speaking about it last week. Sorry, another one of those messages that suggest the offer of services but then at the last minutes states the opposite. Much like those 'I would be at the gig if it wasn't for the fact that I wont' pointless messages you see on the boards.

Right up my, non trash blues, street yer stuff but time and budget constraints prevent me for jumping in feet first.

Hope you get the right folk though. Best of luck :up:

Jim