aberdeen-music

Lemuria + support @ The Tunnels - 18th June

Well clearly, which is unusual, and brings us back to my original question.

Do you just like to argue?

it seems so.

DIY promoters go hand in hand with DIY bands, you must know this as well as anybody. Stop arguing for the sake of it. (queue classic 'hot dinners/you pure can't tell me what to do son - this is a public forum" reply)

You either havent read the last two pages or are ignoring them, either way ive made it a bit easier to see.

What's the point in putting a band on if you don't go and see them?!

Buisness, helping a band out, helping a venue that may have asked you, you could have booked them and something else has come up

which he said a page before....

I booked the date to help out the band and Dave House before realising I wouldn't be in the city. Was hoping to catch one of the other dates but it's not possible.

I am a fan of this gig. I think there was a reasonably good turn-out as well. I bought the first Lemuria album, having failed to find it anywhere in the 'deen, 8, no bad.

Basically; this gig was good. Plus going to Tunnels to drink their cranberry juice is a bonus.

Ah youre the Cranberry juice drinker - excellent! You got a bargain at 50p! Somewhere in my alcoholic mind I always feel guilty charging more for soft drinks! I was the manager behind the bar for this

NB Not that I go giving cheap drinks generally!

I feel Inksters got a well hard time for this

There have been posters up for this show in Tunnels, Drummonds at least for 2 months if not more. He's had a thread on here and its been in national mags.

Also he couldnt make the gig yet his colleague/partner did - whats the problem. The guy runs shows all over the place. cant be at them all - similar to when my Atlas Skye Aberdeen show clashed with a Cats In Paris Glasgow one. As long as someone is there I dont see the issue. Doesnt mean youre only booking for money - in most cases he's booked a bands few Scottish shows and one of the 3 or 4 have maybe overlapped so he cant make it. Its that or you dont get the show at all.

Seems with this thread and the one being critical of Steven Milne at Moshulu recentkly that people dont appreciate what theyve got. If it wasnt for Steven, Inkster and the likes (yes including myself and AGP) that there would be a severe lack of touring bands up here. Who of those criticising are willing to spend thousands of pounds on getting bands up here?

Every promoter can make mistakes, get caught out, simply not have enough time to do a gig justice now and again but on the whole Inksters gigs are very well attended as was tonights show where apparently he did no promo.

Thought the gig was good. Guy Called Guy seemed promising, Cast of The Capital awesome as always. Thought Lemuria were okay - the snare drum alone ruined it for me (far too loud and cut through everything. Thats not a dig at the sound by the way - it wasnt even coming through the PA - just naturally far too dominant)

Only caught the tail end of Mark McCabe, he was quite good in a one man acoustic type of way.

A Guy Called Guy - I suspect that they will become popular in these parts due to the nature of their music - very cleverly structured, with lots of unusual time signatures etc, but personally I wish more bands could just come up with simple, good tunes. They shouldn't take offence by this as they were very good musicians (especially the drummer), I'm just kind of bored with that style of music at the moment. Huge kudos for naming a song Cohaagen after the bad guy in Total Recall. I'm claiming Clarence Boddicker for my own fictional band.

Which brings us onto Cast of the Capital. Haven't seen them before but I must say I was quite impressed. Very inoffensive and straight forward in style, BUT - good catchy tunes. I couldn't help but nod along. And the singer has a nifty 'Footloose' style move that he does while singing. I'd maybe lose the skateboarding anecdote though. And the tambourine bit. But other than that I'm unsurprised they are receiving attention as they have obviously taken the time to create a well structured and well practiced set of songs. This is no small praise from me as I'm usually hard to please. Can I get a free CD for this?

I thought Lemuria were ace, despite the drummers haphazard time keeping. I also bought their first CD, so far so good.

Two good gigs in one week, must start going out more again. Bollocks to being tired all the time.

I thought A Guy Called Guy were outstanding last night! Great songs with some excellent instrumental parts. Love the end section of 2007, so good. Well done dudes :)

Videos on Youtube soon!!

Thanks man, did you tape it? Rad!

A Guy Called Guy - I suspect that they will become popular in these parts due to the nature of their music - very cleverly structured, with lots of unusual time signatures etc, but personally I wish more bands could just come up with simple, good tunes. They shouldn't take offence by this as they were very good musicians (especially the drummer), I'm just kind of bored with that style of music at the moment. Huge kudos for naming a song Cohaagen after the bad guy in Total Recall. I'm claiming Clarence Boddicker for my own fictional band.

QUOTE]

Understand what you're saying. I'm in total agreement too, obviously we won't be one of the bands doing this, but your right more bands need to play nice simple stuff a la COTC and Lemuria. I think we may have spelt it werong though coz we only put in 1 'a' in it. Ah well. Unsurprisingly we still have a ton of CD-Rs left if anybody wants.