aberdeen-music

Frightened Rabbit (Solo) plus support @ Snafu

Emmy the Great at Moshulu a couple of months back was pretty respectfully received.

Anyone see Jose Gonzalez when he played Moshulu back in '06/'07? That was a total disaster in that regard. I seem to remember an Ocean Colour Scene acoustic show at The Lemon Tree that had the same problem. Generally the acoustic shows I've been to recently have been pretty decent in terms of audience respect, but the bad ones have been total nightmares. Obviously I'm not expecting everyone to keep completely silent for the duration, but it strikes me as downright rude when (as happened on Friday night) there are even people in the front couple of rows with their backs to the stage, holding loud conversations with their mates.

Twas a great night i thought.

Thanks to snafu for being so accomodating and letting me put it on at short notice.

Apart from people initially having to que in the rain (weather cant be helped) I think most people left happy and the gig went well without any hitches - we even finished early!

Also thanks to anyone who popped down early and caught myself or JJ's sets - it was fun playing and I thought JJ was great.

Sound wise @ Snafu - if you were standing on the dancefloor it was probably because you wanted to hear it and down there you could hear it fine. Anyone at the bar or further back probably wasnt as fussed about hearing it and yeah, the sound quality there isnt as good when accoustic acts are on. I guess the PA in general could be louder but then again it would have been fine if there wasnt any chatter - which did get less the more the gig went on. So in theory both parties should be happy but there were a few people on the dancefloor who did seem to generally have a death wish and kept speaking.

Wierd mix of crowd tho, but then it was the same when they played full band @ Moshulu.

You have the people who are really big fans who want to hear the music and are dead keen - down the front and listening to the gig intently.

Then you have some people who are big fans but really vocal - like the guys heckling at the start had me worried that it was going to be like that all night! But Scott dealt with it really well and in good spirit i thought.

And as someone said, you have the people who are there because:

a - they heard they should go

b - theyre mate told them to go

and they pay a lot less attention and hang back/ talk through it.

People certainly got quieter, and once the gig was underway the chat subsided a lot i thought - particularly from poke onwards which itself was cool - not only did it get people to shut the fuck up but it was also a pretty nice moment / possible highlight of the night in general.

"LEG" - great banter

i had to queue for about 30 mins to get in, crappy weather but the gig more than made up for it. no idea what was holding it up though letting people in. once we got in, seemed like way more people than what was in the queue.

Missed the first support act because of the queue and the second was great, although he seemed a bit nervous to begin with.

I had a good place, about 3 people from the front, managed to scoot in during support when the people had left and a massive gap around the stage. great sound from where i was.

Took a vid of poke on my phone (shows how close i was), quite dark but you can hear the sound well enough.

Qik | Kris | Scott from Frightened Rabbit @ Snafu Aberdeen 15/05/09

Cant wait to see these guys in a full gig again.