aberdeen-music

The Marionettes are changing!

Right, The Marionettes are changing on two fronts.......

First of all our name is changing, nothing drastic we're simply dropping "the" and becoming "Marionettes" because of some issues we're experiencing with similarly named bands and the problems this could potentially cause.

Secondly, the lineup is changing! Andrew is unfortunately leaving us for Glasgow to study at University and also to pursue a solo project he has been working on. In the meantime we have bought ourselves a synth which Paddy shall now play as well as singing and have recruited former Confidantes bassist Thomas Emslie to the band.

So....... our last gig as the current Marionettes shall be 25th June at Moshulu, so get yourselves down to that to witness our current set for the final time!

Cheers

Daryl

Marionettes gig in June @ Moshulu is 26th June!!!

(not 25th)

Fuck I keep doing that! I'm awful with dates sorry Calum

Yeah "The Marionettes" were a 90s goth band who we appear to share a lastfm.com profile with, and "Marionette" were another band to have previously existed. "Marionettes" isn't taken by anybody significant enough to justify being any bigger or better than us or anybody who has some sort of copyright. The other option is obviously to change the name completely, but that would completely de-merit everything we've done so far so we're gona give it a go like this for a while.

Besides.......September tour has been confirmed!!!

Aberdeen - Tunnels 9th September

Dundee - Dexters 10th September

Glasgow - Cosmopol 11th September

Leeds - The Primrose 12th September

WOooooHOoooo!

I'd change it completely - think its an awful name for a band, not just in that its not a particularly great name, but the actual meaning of it doesnt do anything for me either.

You'd be doing yourselves a favour by changing it completely IMO

Geee, thanks........four years of hard work....ace........erm........hahaha

What have you guys done in these 4 years?

Have you toured, released anything?

Must be honest ive not heard about you guys till now.

released a single, done a song on the latest fat hippy comp and just recently completed their first mini tour as well i believe. Great band. I normally hate this sorta stuff, but these guys are dead good, Really energetic and just full on.

released a single, done a song on the latest fat hippy comp and just recently completed their first mini tour as well i believe. Great band. I normally hate this sorta stuff, but these guys are dead good, Really energetic and just full on.

cool, cheers, my point was going to be in they hadnt had done those kind of things then a name change wouldnt do that much harm, but if they have got out there a bit it may not be the best idea changing it completely.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Just cos you haven't heard of a band doesn't mean they haven't done anything. I'm very interested in a lot of things music-wise particularly in Aberdeen, but I completely missed Edgar Prais for pretty much the whole time they were in existence apart from their last gig. I had heard the name, but that was about it.

The Marionettes, I hadn't heard of until I listened to the Fat Hippy Sampler. Really liked the song on there, went to see them for the first time in December, thought they were brilliant, so took a keen interest in them. I bought their single which is great (and I believe sold out, or nearly sold out).

They're very young guys so going on tour is difficult as a lot of places don't allow for under 18 performers. But they have now done that as well, and built up a fan base in Aberdeen - pretty much anyone I know that has seen them live has said they are very very good (apart from one person who will remain un-named...)

I don't think anyone's claiming they've conquered the world (or even Aberdeen), but that doesn't mean they haven't worked hard. I'd imagine the sheer energy and tightness of their live show has taken a lot of work to perfect in itself.

And, yeah - keep the name, unless you want to completely rebrand yourself.

Just cos you haven't heard of a band doesn't mean they haven't done anything. I'm very interested in a lot of things music-wise particularly in Aberdeen, but I completely missed Edgar Prais for pretty much the whole time they were in existence apart from their last gig. I had heard the name, but that was about it.

The Marionettes, I hadn't heard of until I listened to the Fat Hippy Sampler. Really liked the song on there, went to see them for the first time in December, thought they were brilliant, so took a keen interest in them. I bought their single which is great (and I believe sold out, or nearly sold out).

They're very young guys so going on tour is difficult as a lot of places don't allow for under 18 performers. But they have now done that as well, and built up a fan base in Aberdeen - pretty much anyone I know that has seen them live has said they are very very good (apart from one person who will remain un-named...)

I don't think anyone's claiming they've conquered the world (or even Aberdeen), but that doesn't mean they haven't worked hard. I'd imagine the sheer energy and tightness of their live show has taken a lot of work to perfect in itself.

And, yeah - keep the name, unless you want to completely rebrand yourself.

I hope that wasnt in my direction, i never said a bad word about them or what they had done, just didnt know anything about them and work doesnt let me onto myspace to find out myself.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I hope that wasnt in my direction, i never said a bad word about them or what they had done, just didnt know anything about them and work doesnt let me onto myspace to find out myself.

It was, but then I saw your next comment. Just took your first one the wrong way...

Normally folk on this site who say "what have you done, like" or similar are having a go. But, you clearly weren't - you were just asking a simple question. My apologies... :)

Geee, thanks........four years of hard work....ace........erm........hahaha

Sorry if I've offended you, but I never said anything about how hard you've worked or even what I think of you guys as a band.

A little bit of research before you chose the name wouldn't have gone amiss though, and probably would've saved you having to change it at a later date, as is now the case.

I know its probably a shit thing to say, (but a bands name is generally the first point of contact many people have with a band...) but I would not be inclined to listen to you guys based on your name. Take myspace as an example... Most people come across random bands they had previously never heard of, by noticing them in a friends list on someone elses myspace, or they've left a message on someones page etc which leads you to click through to their page. Or alternatively if they see the name on a poster for a gig etc. A name which stands out from others is very important in my book, particularly for unsigned bands on myspace, as generally people will see the name before they hear the music. 'The Marionettes' is neither particularly original (as demonstrated) nor has any intrigue about it in terms of genre or indicating creativity.

For what its worth, i think your tunes are ok, but I would probably never have went out of my way to listen to you had it not been for Calum's incessant emails ;) about your gigs and bigging you up to everyone.

It was, but then I saw your next comment. Just took your first one the wrong way...

Normally folk on this site who say "what have you done, like" or similar are having a go. But, you clearly weren't - you were just asking a simple question. My apologies... :)

lets spoon, its the only way to make it up to me :)

Sorry if I've offended you, but I never said anything about how hard you've worked or even what I think of you guys as a band.

A little bit of research before you chose the name wouldn't have gone amiss though, and probably would've saved you having to change it at a later date, as is now the case.

I know its probably a shit thing to say, (but a bands name is generally the first point of contact many people have with a band...) but I would not be inclined to listen to you guys based on your name. Take myspace as an example... Most people come across random bands they had previously never heard of, by noticing them in a friends list on someone elses myspace, or they've left a message on someones page etc which leads you to click through to their page. Or alternatively if they see the name on a poster for a gig etc. A name which stands out from others is very important in my book, particularly for unsigned bands on myspace, as generally people will see the name before they hear the music. 'The Marionettes' is neither particularly original (as demonstrated) nor has any intrigue about it in terms of genre or indicating creativity.

For what its worth, i think your tunes are ok, but I would probably never have went out of my way to listen to you had it not been for Calum's incessant emails ;) about your gigs and bigging you up to everyone.

No offence taken, like you said it's your opinion.

I think the reason the guys are reluctant to completely change the name even once I leave for Glasgow, is that The Marionettes (or Marionettes) is what we've been known as since we pretty much first started playing our instruments, and has been our first and only band. It's pretty much our identity, so I can see why they wouldn't want to let it go.

Anyhoo, I'm quite glad to see the definitive article go, I've always thought it sounded a bit better without it.

No offence taken at all mate, my comment was sarcastic!

hey, I know him! He's going out with a friend of mine. Nice guy.

Don't see how that's a productive comment, but hey, everyone likes compliments, right?

Haha totally,

He's my mate from Uni and I've known him for a few years through football, he also came on tour with us last month. Seemed like the best option to be honest and we jammed with hi the other day. The synth seems to fit perfectly with our tunes, really looking forward to returning for a tour in September.

Haha totally,

He's my mate from Uni and I've known him for a few years through football, he also came on tour with us last month. Seemed like the best option to be honest and we jammed with hi the other day. The synth seems to fit perfectly with our tunes, really looking forward to returning for a tour in September.

Cool, best of luck and stuff.

No offence taken, like you said it's your opinion.

I think the reason the guys are reluctant to completely change the name even once I leave for Glasgow, is that The Marionettes (or Marionettes) is what we've been known as since we pretty much first started playing our instruments, and has been our first and only band. It's pretty much our identity, so I can see why they wouldn't want to let it go.

Anyhoo, I'm quite glad to see the definitive article go, I've always thought it sounded a bit better without it.

It pretty much mirrors our situation when we started out... We were known as The Leads when we formed at school and then for a good couple of years afterwards (you may even hear some 'C'mon the Leads' nonsense at gigs - Saturday in Moshulu for example) and decided to change (although we all hated the name by that point!). We changed the name before our bass player moved to Glasgow all the same, but in essence - we've got a different name and different line up now as our original bass player lives in Glasgow.

8-)

It pretty much mirrors our situation when we started out... We were known as The Leads when we formed at school and then for a good couple of years afterwards (you may even hear some 'C'mon the Leads' nonsense at gigs - Saturday in Moshulu for example) and decided to change (although we all hated the name by that point!). We changed the name before our bass player moved to Glasgow all the same, but in essence - we've got a different name and different line up now as our original bass player lives in Glasgow.

8-)

Curiously enough, my sister and me found an old cassette the other day with a Leads track on it. Curious-er still, we both remembered the words. Certainly livened up the drive home!

In other news, all the best to "Marionettes". I'll probably have to miss the Lemon Tree show, but I'd recommend checking them out to anyone who hasn't yet, I enjoyed them when we played together in November.