aberdeen-music

Laser Eye Treatment

WoodyRATM

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting this done soon, i have the consultation etc soon but i wanted to here from people who have had it done (if any).

Who am i best going to? My consulation is with optical express. Should i stick with them?

Anyone got any ideas which procedure is easiest and safest? and yields amazing results?

Which leads me to another questions, what were the results like? Semi instantly? next day?

And finally how long did it take people to heal from it?

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers

Davie

There was a thread on here a little while back. I can remember asking about the Optical Express deals, since they're so cheap. I think it may have been Jan Deal who replied saying the low cost deals there are more painful and less reliable than the pricier methods offered elsewhere. I'm going to go for a consultation soon at Optical Express I think, just to see what options are available.

Got a letter from Optical Express last week offering me a free consultation and 150 quid off the cost, but that would still be around 650 to pay and it isn't really an option at the moment, other things need to be paid off. It's something I've considered on an off over the years but I've worn bins for 25 years now and it'd probably be too weird without the things.

Is it worthwhile to have it done, does anyone think?

:up:

There was a thread on here a little while back. I can remember asking about the Optical Express deals, since they're so cheap. I think it may have been Jan Deal who replied saying the low cost deals there are more painful and less reliable than the pricier methods offered elsewhere. I'm going to go for a consultation soon at Optical Express I think, just to see what options are available.

This thread here:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/50214-shopping-specs.html

My optician said not to go to Optical Express because of a poor Which? report and also because of a number of people that she sees coming back in for glasses and various eye complaints such as 'halos' when looking at lights and dry eye.

I think i'll stick with my hard contacts for now. Only got one set of eyes.

BBC NEWS | Health | Laser eye consultations 'flawed'

My optician said not to go to Optical Express because of a poor Which? report and also because of a number of people that she sees coming back in for glasses and various eye complaints such as 'halos' when looking at lights and dry eye.

I think i'll stick with my hard contacts for now. Only got one set of eyes.

BBC NEWS | Health | Laser eye consultations 'flawed'

Hard contacts? I feel so sorry for you. I had those for about 3 months and I just couldn't get on with them- they felt horrible! Switched to soft and now all is well (except for the fact I can't see well).

I would wear contacts but i cant get them in :( they stick to the calluses on my fingers. The optician was amazed.

If i do get it, i think id want the advance wavefront stuff - massively expensive but from what ive been told the best.

A lot of people have suggested kirkwood fyfe too - problem is id ideally be wanting to pay monthly (something optical express can do) but i dunno if kf do this?

thanks for the replies

I got my eyes lasered about a month ago at Optical Express, and they were fantastic. I have better than 20/20 vision in both eyes and no side effects except when it gets late and I'm watching TV, it still kinda feels like I've had contacts in all day, but that will go in time. The optometrist and surgeon I had were both very good, and the follow up care is top notch too.

The only thing I'd say is ignore the 395 per eye thing they advertise, because that's basically if you need very minor correction, my eyes were pretty bad, -7.5 in each and cost me something like 1600 an eye, which has crippled me for the year, but was worth it. The kind of surgery will be based on what you need and they will lay out what is best for you quite honestly and informatively.

Just don't take any shit from the woman who pressurises you into going for it. I went for a consultation about 2 years ago and it was too much so I just said no when I found out how much it really was, if they are doing free consultations advertising 395 an eye then they should expect it. The woman I had was a pain in the arse.

But I recommend it.

I'll add its the weirdest thing you will ever go through, you can see right after, but its pretty cloudy and gritty, you go home and sleep and its better when you wake up, then by the next day its pretty much there. They recommend you take the next day off work (you need to go back in the morning for another check up anyway), but I went to a job interview on a computer for 3 hours the day after mine, without problems, except for the horrendous looking (but harmless) blood marks on my eye balls. You can't rub your eyes for a week or two, and have to wear goggles in bed for a week, but after 2/3 weeks you can do whatever really, I went swimming after two and a half and it was like life in HD.

• Upvote 1

I got my eyes lasered about a month ago at Optical Express, and they were fantastic. I have better than 20/20 vision in both eyes and no side effects except when it gets late and I'm watching TV, it still kinda feels like I've had contacts in all day, but that will go in time. The optometrist and surgeon I had were both very good, and the follow up care is top notch too.

The only thing I'd say is ignore the 395 per eye thing they advertise, because that's basically if you need very minor correction, my eyes were pretty bad, -7.5 in each and cost me something like 1600 an eye, which has crippled me for the year, but was worth it. The kind of surgery will be based on what you need and they will lay out what is best for you quite honestly and informatively.

Just don't take any shit from the woman who pressurises you into going for it. I went for a consultation about 2 years ago and it was too much so I just said no when I found out how much it really was, if they are doing free consultations advertising 395 an eye then they should expect it. The woman I had was a pain in the arse.

But I recommend it.

I think that would be what i'd need, im seriously blind without my glasses.

They do a payment scheme which i think id go for.

How did it feel while getting done? How long after it could you see?

Apparently it's freaky smelling your own burning flesh.

...and my sister's friend's mum who got it done still needs glasses for reading.

Should probably add I have no idea where she went to get it done or how bad her eyes were or anything.

-7.5 is insane. I'm only -2 and -3 and I thought my eyesight was pretty bad...

Apparently it's freaky smelling your own burning flesh.

...and my sister's friend's mum who got it done still needs glasses for reading.

Should probably add I have no idea where she went to get it done or how bad her eyes were or anything.

-7.5 is insane. I'm only -2 and -3 and I thought my eyesight was pretty bad...

I looked into it a while back and requiring specs to read may always be a requirement as it's an ageing thing that they can't correct.

I've heard good things about Kirkwood Fife, my mate's missus went there. I tried to get online quotes for Optical Express but it didn't work, you had to phone them, undoubtedly so they then have your number to plague you with calls. I'm glad I never bothered as the incessant e-mails offering free consultations and other discounts are bad enough.and as folk have already stated if you require any major correction and want to go with the best treatments you are looking at a lot of money.

I heard you have to wait until your prescription stops changing before they will consider, as your eye's might keep changing after, thus back to glasses.

I have considered it and was offered the 150 discount, but binned it....Always getting emails from them since I showed an interest. I have had a few friends that have had it done, one went back to how he was originally and the other to seem to be fine (one just had it done and the other been travelling for 2 years)

I did have one optician tell me there was no point as most adults eyesight decreases as they get older anyway - I see her point

I heard you have to wait until your prescription stops changing before they will consider, as your eye's might keep changing after, thus back to glasses.

Yeah, that's true - and it makes sense. I was told that since my eye sight was so bad, there was a chance it would deteriote back over time within the next 6 months. However, I am covered to have another operation if it occurs, and that would pretty much solve it if neccessary. As mentioned before, I will expect to at least need reading glasses in the future, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the blindness I had before.

As mentioned before, I will expect to at least need reading glasses in the future, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to the blindness I had before.

yeah if you are very blind then I can see the appeal. I can still function with out my specs/contacts, but cause I am - in on eye and - in the other I can get dizzy trying toget both eyes to focus and I think one works more than the other

hmmmm cock-eye-the-noo