aberdeen-music

Laptop

aekido

So it's my 21st in Jube, hooray, and the parents have said I can get a new laptop. Double Hooray

I suck at laptop know how, and whats good, so I'm posting to see what you lovely people would recommend

My price limit is 800. The laptops main use will be for Graphic Design and photo editing. Thus I need it to be able to handle programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and the rest of the Adobe packages. I don't really need anything more than 80GB HDD as I run most things off my 600GB external

Also, really dont want a mac, so please, dont suggest looking at macs, I use one at uni, it's bad enough

Any ideas / thoughts / suggestions?

Cheers ^^

So it's my 21st in Jube, hooray, and the parents have said I can get a new laptop. Double Hooray

I suck at laptop know how, and whats good, so I'm posting to see what you lovely people would recommend

My price limit is 800. The laptops main use will be for Graphic Design and photo editing. Thus I need it to be able to handle programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and the rest of the Adobe packages. I don't really need anything more than 80GB HDD as I run most things off my 600GB external

Also, really dont want a mac, so please, dont suggest looking at macs, I use one at uni, it's bad enough

Any ideas / thoughts / suggestions?

Cheers ^^

i'd have said a mac.

sorry, but thats all i'd suggest for what you're doing.

i'd have said a mac.

sorry, but thats all i'd suggest for what you're doing.

me too probs.

Might be worth looking for stuff with 4GB RAM though. I use a HP machine that has 3GB and a dual core. Not had any issues with it yet - take a look at them.

Does it defo need to be a laptop?

MESH Computers - Award Winning Review PCs Since 1987 - MESH N50VC Plus

That's pretty nice looking and could easily handle anything you throw at it...

I was just about to post that exact same model.

You don't need a mac, people are idiots for suggesting them after you specifically said you didn't want one. But you have to expect that kind of thing from Mac users :down:

I was just about to post that exact same model.

You don't need a mac, people are idiots for suggesting them after you specifically said you didn't want one. But you have to expect that kind of thing from Mac users :down:

shush now. there's a reason mac's are almost industry standard for design and visual art professionals. they work. very well. plus they look really cool!

but yea, i can't afford one. worth considering but if you're on a budget stick to other laptops.

and if I wanted a mac, i'd be going for the macbook pro, why would i spend 1200 on something with specs I could get for 800 as a PC? mac users. pssh

Was also looking at a Dell or Alienware, so thanks ^^

aren't alienware aimed at high end gaming? probably overkill for design stuff and i've always felt they were a tad on the expensive side too.

unfortunately i have no other recommendations though.

I know this isn't a mac v PC thread but I will say that I didnt like my PC laptop I had at my last job, cumbersome interface. My own Macbook I have had for a couple of years is sound as a pound and been worth every penny. Planning a new one soon.

Each to their own and I have never been into the 'Mac is better PC' thing. Depends on needs, personal taste and preference. They do look much cooler than PC shit though :up:

And I honestly cant recall the last time my laptop crashed and it gets a fair battering, Music, graphics, photos, office...

well, thats a lie, the macs at uni constantly crash, they suck

That is the fault of the uni and the inbred student tax dodging bastard types that use them, not the fault of the hardware.

Macs are industry standard, but that said, I have a beast of a Dell workstation at work, and Adobe Creative Studio 3 runs like a dream on it. Dual processors and 4GB of RAM does help though.

If it doesn't need to be a laptop, definitely go for a desktop workstation. Laptops are pish for doing design work, and I am speaking from experience.

Also, avoid Alienware, you are paying for the name. You can get equal spec kit for a fraction of the cost

:up:

• Upvote 1

Once you get over the initial "where the fuck are all the buttons" panic Mac's are actually fucking ace for using, especially since Photoshop CS4 Exploits Mac Hardware Features!!!!

I currently run CS4 on a normal MacBook (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB ram) and it's stupendously fast, with practically zero lag. Used to have CS3 with a 2.4GHz / 2GB ram desktop and it was alright but I wouldn't go back for love 'nor money!!!

also, there's probably a reason why the uni uses Macs...

Once you get over the initial "where the fuck are all the buttons" panic Mac's are actually fucking ace for using, especially since Photoshop CS4 Exploits Mac Hardware Features!!!!

I currently run CS4 on a normal MacBook (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB ram) and it's stupendously fast, with practically zero lag. Used to have CS3 with a 2.4GHz / 2GB ram desktop and it was alright but I wouldn't go back for love 'nor money!!!

also, there's probably a reason why the uni uses Macs...

the business school mac lab macs work fine for me, the mac osx side especially. it hasnt ever crashed for me in the two/three years they've had a dedicated mac lab in there, and i've done pretty much everything on the programs installed - fcp, photoshop, etc. piece of piss! same with my own macbook, runs like a dream.

the windows side on the uni macs is a bit lame, primarily because the novell network running through the whole uni is the worst network in the history of the world - NOT because it's running on an iMac.

Can none of you lot read?

He said no macs, no matter how much you harp on about how good they are he is not going to want one.

My pal built himself a sexy desktop so he could go professionaly into photography, he got a mac, decided it was shit then built his own computer running windows, he says its much better.

Moral of the story, dont listen to all this, "oh macs are industry standard they must be the best" bullshit.

the business school mac lab macs work fine for me, the mac osx side especially. it hasnt ever crashed for me in the two/three years they've had a dedicated mac lab in there, and i've done pretty much everything on the programs installed - fcp, photoshop, etc. piece of piss! same with my own macbook, runs like a dream.

the windows side on the uni macs is a bit lame, primarily because the novell network running through the whole uni is the worst network in the history of the world - NOT because it's running on an iMac.

Is that at RGU?