aberdeen-music

A Guy Called Guy

Huw

Not entirely sure how this will go down on here, but we made a Myspace and that yesterday and decided to stick up a couple of tunes.

The tunes were recorded in our practice space earlier in April with the in-built mic on a Boss BR600. The bass was overdubbed using a Sansamp Bass Driver, DI'd into one of the Boss' mic inputs and vocals were overdubbed using the in built mic.

The tunes don't seem to have been 'horribly compressed' by Myspace or anything, only gripe is that the vocals are a bit louder than they were mixed originally.

We play stuff that could come under the heading of Emo or Punk or Post Hardcore and are influenced by bands like Meet Me In St. Louis, Faraquet, Damezumari, Kaddish (is it wierd to be influenced by semi-local bands?) and Kolya.

You will find our Myspace here.

Thanks a bunch.

On the whole i like a lot. Vocals are one of the better parts for me, they are just the right side of gutteral and feral for my liking :)

The recording is pretty pish but it doesn't do you guys a disservice and you'd probably have to be careful of sounding too polished anyway.

I like.

:up:

On the whole i like a lot. Vocals are one of the better parts for me, they are just the right side of gutteral and feral for my liking :)

The recording is pretty pish but it doesn't do you guys a disservice and you'd probably have to be careful of sounding too polished anyway.

I like.

:up:

I found it mega difficult doing vocals, getting the balance between hooks and abrasiveness was tough, especially since i am a pretty poor singer.Being a bad singer works for a lot of bands though... right? Listening back I should have really done a couple more takes, but they're good enough.

Would really like to get some good recordings done, but it's the same old question of where and the same old problem of being totally broke!

cheers for the feedback and that.

absolutely loving the tunes!

funnily enough i have been listening to a lot of North of America/Malady/Transistor Transistor/Holy Shroud recently, so it fits my mood perfectly! :)

top stuff. look forward to you gigging

Level Plane is such a good record label. I wish I was into this sorta stuff when it was at it's peak.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I'll be honest - not instantly blown away by this, but it's not usually my sort of thing. I would say I'm "intrigued" by it (in a good way).

As in I'm intrigued to hear more, and would be intrigued to hear you live...

I do really like the name A Guy Called Guy :)

Just uploaded "Two" (we really need song titles!). It's instrumental for the moment. Got a kinda Sinaloa thing going on at the start, then it changes and that. Some peeps might prefer it as it doesn't have me sqealin' and squakin' over it.

• Upvote 1

Huw, I should overdub bass drum. That would be really difficult.

if you can keep time! look at all those bands you are in, that's ridiculous.

EDIT: I didn't even realise how bad it was, there is actually NO kick drum. where'd it go? Even at the end of 'one' with all that crazy double kick... nothing.

I like it. I can't listen on the myspace here 'cos my soundcard's fucked, but I listened in work earlier on, four was my favourite, I enjoyed the way it sprawled. Thought I'd be sorted as I could download the tracks you sent, Huw, and transfer them to my mp3 player, only to discover they've nae vocals! Denied.

I like it. I can't listen on the myspace here 'cos my soundcard's fucked, but I listened in work earlier on, four was my favourite, I enjoyed the way it sprawled. Thought I'd be sorted as I could download the tracks you sent, Huw, and transfer them to my mp3 player, only to discover they've nae vocals! Denied.

sorry man!

Haha, quite alright, I appreciate you sending them anyway. I'm sure we'll invite you boys down at some point. You got anything live in the works?

That would be excellent of you! Nothing in the works at the moment, we still have songs to write before we'll be able to gig, but as soon as we do and tighten them all the hell up we'll be able to sort some gigs out. Don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

i really like the vocals.

looking forward to hearing the propah recordings, bass sounds fair nice in that kind of recording

thanks man! The Sansamp is an absolute beauty for quick overdubs and the like - I'm eternally greatful to Dan Weapon for that tip! I reckon It'd work well in a proper studio too with cabs mic'd up too etc. Unfortunately a jaunt into a proper studio might not happen for a wee while yet due to logistics and funding, but hopefully we'll get something together at some point.

Again, thanks to everybody for the praise and criticisms, both are equally appreciated.

That would be excellent of you! Nothing in the works at the moment, we still have songs to write before we'll be able to gig, but as soon as we do and tighten them all the hell up we'll be able to sort some gigs out. Don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

thanks man! The Sansamp is an absolute beauty for quick overdubs and the like - I'm eternally greatful to Dan Weapon for that tip! I reckon It'd work well in a proper studio too with cabs mic'd up too etc. Unfortunately a jaunt into a proper studio might not happen for a wee while yet due to logistics and funding, but hopefully we'll get something together at some point.

Again, thanks to everybody for the praise and criticisms, both are equally appreciated.

the times I have used the sansamp in the studio through other stuff and cabs it sounded pure rank. esp if you use a pick! works well in a live setting though :)

the times I have used the sansamp in the studio through other stuff and cabs it sounded pure rank. esp if you use a pick! works well in a live setting though :)

come to think of it mine did too. i used my live settings though, but i used completely different settings for the recording, basically flat. I don't use it 'live' at all now. don't like it's sound at all, way too much presence. It has turned out alright on these recordings though, which i'm happy about.

i think i prefer the tunes without the vocals

that's not to say i think there's anything wrong with the vocals, i just think the other elements of the tracks were enough to hold my interest

hott stuff fer sure, i'm looking forward to seeing these guys called guys, guising around, at some point in the future

i think i prefer the tunes without the vocals

that's not to say i think there's anything wrong with the vocals, i just think the other elements of the tracks were enough to hold my interest

hott stuff fer sure, i'm looking forward to seeing these guys called guys, guising around, at some point in the future

It was a consideration, leaving them instrumental, but we decided against it in the end. Just thought it would make it a bit more interesting i guess.

we could do what hip hop artist do and do instrumental versions of our releases.