aberdeen-music

Talkbox- making your own

FatHand

I've been hankering after a new synth recently and I've set my sights on something that's going to cost an arm and a leg. This basically means that I'm going to be saving for a very long time to get it. In the mean time, to get over the temptations to get into debt for a quick fix to my synth obsession and also to have something new and interesting to play with I thought about talkbox. I remembered watching a video on youtube called ghetto talkbox

which shows you how to make a talkbox out of everyday bits that you might find on the cheap. I then watched another vid from the same guy saying that it's not that great and that he'd made a better one from components he'd ordered. So the idea of making a talkbox seems pretty fun and doable.

Looking around I found some instructions StumbleUpon WebToolbar and also looked on the youtube guy's website MooT BooXLe's Talkbox FAQ where he tells you the types of horn drivers that sound good.

I've absolutely no experience of making anything like this but it could interesting and educational! Also thought that if I'm interested there may be others out there hence the lists of information! Corn, if you're reading this I know you have one already, what are your thoughts on making your own on the cheap or cheapish?

It's certainly doable, but you need to amp up the sound properly through a good (pre-)amp.

I built a test version with a pignose and it sounds pretty cool/good!

You need to isolate the cone really good, you can easily leak most of your sound.

I had to sell the amp because I moved abroad, but I will certainly build one again.

Looking forward to giving it a go and seeing what my synths sound like through it.

On the whole "making your own" side of things, anyone ever tried making a synth of some sort? Might look into the potential of this if I enjoy the building aspect. Synth building is possibly a little beyond my mental abilites though ha ha.

• 8 months later...
Looking forward to giving it a go and seeing what my synths sound like through it.

On the whole "making your own" side of things, anyone ever tried making a synth of some sort? Might look into the potential of this if I enjoy the building aspect. Synth building is possibly a little beyond my mental abilites though ha ha.

Can't believe looking back that I suggested I might build a synth.

Was hoping to find some people using talkbox to get some tips. so tips...