aberdeen-music

1990s trainers

Lemonade

For anyone who's forgotten just how luminous and nauseating the fashion world was in the early 90s I give you:

L.A. Gear

They've set up the site to feature all their original trainers and original adverts from the early 90s. The adverts especially are well worth a look.

Ashamed to admit I owned a couple of pairs of these day-glo bad boys. Coupled with a Nevica jacket. And some shell suits. 90s begone! :puke:

I blame the Fresh Prince.

Jesus.... I used to buy the Nike air jordans as opposed to LA gear. Thankfully.

Did have a cracking Nevica though...... and a Scotland shell suit. Fire hazards ahoy!

At my school from about 91-94 you had to have either Reebok Pumps or LA Gear regulators or you were destined to be a social outcast. It was the only acceptable trainers to have. Same applied to Nevica jackets. I remember going nuts when my mum used to buy me Hi-tec trainers and Trespass jackets. Spoilt little bastard that I was. The first day I turned up in my LA Gear regulators I felt like a fucking god. INSTANTLY I was accepted by the cool kids and shunned all the fucking geeks I'd been hanging about with up until then :gringo: Until they found out I was a fud and I was punted back to safety net of the lower classes.

At my school from about 91-94 you had to have either Reebok Pumps or LA Gear regulators or you were destined to be a social outcast. It was the only acceptable trainers to have. Same applied to Nevica jackets. I remember going nuts when my mum used to buy me Hi-tec trainers and Trespass jackets. Spoilt little bastard that I was. The first day I turned up in my LA Gear regulators I felt like a fucking god. INSTANTLY I was accepted by the cool kids and shunned all the fucking geeks I'd been hanging about with up until then :gringo: Until they found out I was a fud and I was punted back to the lower classes.

Hahaha trespass.... shit, I remember all that nonsense at my school too.

People who wore Hi-tecs got so much shit. Poor bastards.

I had a pair of regulators too! thought i was THE MAN like!

also had those nike air hurache`s they were so fucking comfy! bring those bad boys back!

others were CAMPRI jackets, NAF NAF, JUICE!

Ah those scotland shell suits were amazing - i remember one of my mates standing next to just a normal heater and the fucking thing nearly melted to his leg! was more upset about the damaged shell though!

I seem to recall that L.A Gear trainers were available with a light in the heel.

At school I was all about the Reebok Pump + Hexalite combo or some spicy Addidas Torsions.

Aye. After the trend for inflatable shoes died down, a new trend for light up trainers started.

dunkxchange-nyc-summer-08-9.jpg

la_gear_lights.jpg

What's next, wheels in the heels?

(Oh, wait.....)

Guest Laura@TMB

As an added thought - does anyone have pic's of themselves wearing 80's/90's fashion ? If so get em up!!!

here you go... :laughing:, me on a work's pub crawl circa 1990... check out the day-glow trainers :puke:

1050laura-med_thumb.jpg

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
PUMA DISC

puma-disc-blaze-1.jpg

Check me and my bad rotary discs. Can you and your shitty fucking shoelaces hear me all the way back there in the 1920's?

Disc or die!

You bastard - got in just before me!

I was just about to say my most prized trainers were my Puma Discs! Fucking awesome!

My Discs lasted about a week. I played football in them because I'm an idiot. I took one "laces-shot" and they were destroyed. Mum was livid. S'alright though. We took them back to Windsors, and they replaced them, but with an inferior trainer, with fucking laces. Urgh.

But they are still great. Discs are great. Better than laces and velcro combined!

There was a rumour going round my school that if you tightened up your Discs too tight, the wire inside would snap and you had to send them back to Puma to get it replaced at a cost of 80. Probably lies, but nobody at my school bought Discs after hearing it.