aberdeen-music

Favorite Ale?

Wax

Done a bit of a tasting with some I picked up at a bar trade show on Tuesday. Bought another couple as well, so here's my thoughts:

BrewDog (77 Lager & Punk IPA) - Think we'll definitely look at getting a range of these in. Fits our ethos about local produce and suppliers, and they seem to have a good following too. Watch this space...

Isle of Arran Blond - Really disappointed by this. Pretty bland.

Lattitude Pilsner - Not good, I wish I got some samples of the ales instead.

Williams Bros Gold (Alloa) - I liked this one. I'm quite a fan of Belgian/Trappist beers and this one shows up well against them.

Williams Bros Red - My flatmate loved this one. In fact, out of the 9 we tried, this one was definitely the best, and I'm not even an ale drinker. I've got in contact with the brewery to see about distributors. In the meantime, Oddbins near Five stocks it. Pretty sure it's on a 4 for 5 offer right now.

Skull Splitter (Orkney) - My flatmate also like this one, but I found it a bit much. An ale drinkers ale I have deduced. Worth getting in though, I'll have a word with the brewery.

Keep an eye out in Five, we should begin to stock ales in the next week or so. For the time-being we have Innis & Gunn Amber in bottles.

Keep the recommendations coming though, cheers!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

real ale drinkers appear to consider skull splitter to be a bit of a comedy beer. they generally seem to prefer a lower percentage...

just an observation.

I made the mistake at my first real ale festival of just buying Skull Splitter, as I was a skint student who wanted more bang for his buck.

Worst hangover i've ever had :down:

Now i'm a little older, and a little wiser (ala Wayne's World 2)... I go for lower % ale and sample all of the blondes; which I know i'll enjoy the taste of :love:

Has to be Hobgoblin its the first ale I ever drank so its always got a special place in me heart also it makes a mean steak and ale pie. In close second itd have to be Fraoch Pictish heather ale fecking shweeeeeeeeeet!

I prefer draught ales but if it's bottles then something you can't get in the supermarket is always a bonus!

I'd say my favourite beer would be Brewdog's "Physic" but enjoy most of their other beverages, as well as beer from Harviestoun, Wychwood, Atlas and most other microbreweries!

I prefer draught ales but if it's bottles then something you can't get in the supermarket is always a bonus!

I'd say my favourite beer would be Brewdog's "Physic" but enjoy most of their other beverages, as well as beer from Harviestoun, Wychwood, Atlas and most other microbreweries!

Yeah when it comes to draught or bottled Im on the fence, I guess for me its more convenience bottles at home though Im seriously considering installing my own ale taps lol.

Last christmas Archies had a fantastic range of seasonal ales made by several mucro breweries. I made it a personal quest to drink a pint of everyone they had. I would say most of them were gud though one or two were absolutely fantastic.

I found an absolutely amazing store in York on the Stonegate called 'The Bottle', this place had a mahoosive selection of ales/lagers from all over the world as well as all the glasses you could need to drink them from!

I purchased for myself several of the Flying Dog lagers/ales that I had not tried, an Anchor Summer Ale which was just great, couple bottles of Frulli and a couple local beers brewed in Otley. The Flying Dog's were the Amber Lager, the Doggie Style Pale Ale and one called Garde Dog which was more of a pilsner but absolutely brilliant.

had some crackers recently. obviously some more brewdog. enjoyed a couple of bottles of chaos theory and also tried the frankly ridiculous paradox islay. beer casked in a islay malt whisky cask. 10% and quite smokey while still tasting of beer. it was odd but enjoyable.

currently trying brude by deeside brewery. it's very refreshing but not a whole lot of flavour. great summer drink but not if you're after a substantial beer. i've got a bottle of macbeth to try of theirs too.

also enjoyed black isle brewery's organic wheat beer. a good belgian style effort.

Is there any good shops (not pubs) in Aberdeen or surrounding to pick up good Ale's? I usually just go for the 3 for 4 at Asda or whatever. I'd like to try something a bit more interesting.

peckhams might have some. oddbins perhaps too. dunnottar wine and spirits in stonehaven has just started selling ale and is building up its selection. some of the deli's in the west end may sell some interesting ales too.

also try Beers of Europe Ltd - Belgian, German, British and World Beer and ale.