aberdeen-music

Got Any Good Attempted Scam Stories?

Fraser Mac

Anyone tryed to email scam you, or try to scam you in real life?

i got an email to day in very broken email asking how much the gibson was and "i much is it last"

Heres the reply i got.

hi there thanks for the urgent response, i will love to have this in

my studio to enhance record producing.i would have loved to pick it up

my self because of security reasons, but i am in far away new Zealand

for a conference and i can not be able to pick it my self, so the only

option left for me is to trade online

I will be sending payment via PayPal...I will like you ship this item

to my studio in west Africa ,Nigeria. So kindly get back to me with

the shipping cost via Post Office ( Parcel Airmail International ).

So let me know the total including shipping.

Thanks so much.

Margaret

On 4/28/09, Fraser macaulay <frasermacaulay@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>

> Im sorry i dont understand your first question

>

> "i much is it last"

>

> its in the condition i bought it in, brand new, i havnt really used it as i

> have an ibanez ive been using,

> its been sitting in a hardcase most of its life since i got it in september

> 2007,

> just been re strung with ernie balls on Saturday

>

>

> Thank you, fraser

Really? your in new zealand for a trip? but you want it to be sent to nigeria?

shame.

I got one the other week from gumtree.

Least your dude was willing to trade with paypal. The guy who messaged me didnt seem to have a grasp of speaking english and would only send cheque. Also he kept sending some random crap, which when questioned replied "What are you on about?"

Said he'd send a cheque though - still not came through haha. Not holding my breath like..

For anyone who wants to read the sorta crap they pull. :swearing: I'll spoiler tag it because of the length.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:47:22 -0700

Subject: Re: Your Gumtree Aberdeen ad #37522561: Warwick Corvette 5 string bass guitar with hardcase

To: mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com

what are you talking about

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Dave Wood <mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com> wrote:

You sent this before?

Davie Wood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 11:03:33 -0700

Subject: Re: Your Gumtree Aberdeen ad #37522561: Warwick Corvette 5 string bass guitar with hardcase

Am using this media to say a big thank you for your response. Actually its so hard to trust people this day. i will be sending you the fund and the payment will be more and the excess fund will be for transport and shiping..I do like you to know this cos the payment will be more than the amount that is need to be send to you as the require but after receiving the payment i would love you to send me the balance cos it is going to be for transport and shiping money. REPLY ASAP

Thanks

Colin

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:23 AM, Dave Wood <mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com> wrote:

Okay no problems.

If you could please send a cheque for 530 to

my address

Once i recieve the check and it clears i will send the bass.

Thanks.

Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:39:18 -0700

sorry for late respond i will send you the cheque for the payment

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Dave Wood <mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com> wrote:

No offence but i dont understand what that means?

Are you or are you not interested in a Warwick Corvette 5 string bass guitar with hardcase? If yes, then i will look into how much it will cost to ship.

If no, then no problems, thanks for your interest.

Thanks in advance

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 03:15:41 -0700

yes but you are question much

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Dave Wood <mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com> wrote:

I am selling a bass guitar.

You answered saying you were interested.

Should i assume you arent interested?

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 03:01:13 -0700

what are you talking about

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 2:20 AM, Dave Wood <mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com> wrote:

If you are being totally genuine, then i'll find out tonight how much it will cost to ship for you.

Im estimating 20/25 - so im guessing about 525.

Let me know, and i'll set the wheels in motion.

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 02:15:45 -0700

Am using this media to say a big thank you for your response. Actually its so hard to trust people this day. i will be sending you the fund and the payment will be more and the excess fund will be for transport and shiping..I do like you to know this cos the payment will be more than the amount that is need to be send to you as the require but after receiving the payment i would love you to send me the balance cos it is going to be for transport and shiping money. REPLY ASAP

Thanks

Colin

+phone number removed

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Dave Wood <mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com> wrote:

Okay. I can accept cheque aswell then i guess. But i can't/won't hand over the bass untill its cleared fully.

Is this okay?

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:10:11 -0700

Hello thanks for your email i can only pay with cheque..Hope to read from you soon

Colin

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 2:56 AM, Dave Wood <mudvayne_ratm_audioslave@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello.

The price im looking for is around 500 ono.

I'll accept cash (if you're local?) or otherwise paypal.

Cheers

>

> ______________________________________________________________________

>

> Hello ......Am interested in purchasing of these Item,but before i proceed on this transaction i will like to ask some question as following details.....

>

> 1)Exact and final price. 2)Payment Method

>

> Read from you.

>

> Regards,

> Dave Colin

Gumtree is full of that kind of crap. It always starts off with "is it still available" and then you get the "will you send it to somewhere in Africa. Le sigh. I will never attempt to sell anything on there again. I only ever got one genuine response, I know it was local because it was a cheeky lowball offer ;)

I had a mobile phone for sale on Ebay last year, which I'd said I would only sell to UK buyers. The "Buy it now" price was about 100 or something, and one morning I logged in to find that it had been bought - for 150. I had an email from the buyer which said "I bought your phone and I'd like you to send it to my granddaughter in Nigeria. I have paid the money through Paypal, and added some extra so you can ship it to Nigeria for me. As this is an international transaction, the money has been taken from my Paypal account but is being held in a holding account. What you need to do is send the package via Fed-Ex (or whatever it was) and log into the Paypal website and enter the tracking number and the funds will be released into your account."

I then got an email from Paypal, saying the same thing - complete with Paypal logos, copyright notes, etc. It looked really convincing. I'm ashamed to say that up until this point I hadn't realised it was a scam, the only thing that made me suspicious was that some of the grammar on the email from Paypal was a bit dodgy.

There was a link in the email to a fake Paypal site as well, a "click here to go to your account" - which thankfully I didn't do. What would have happened is that I would have gone to the fake Paypal site, entered my login details, which the scammer would then have used to log into my REAL Paypal account and empty my bank account. In addition to me willingly parcelling up and sending them my mobile phone! Thank fuck I didn't fall for it.

I forwarded all the correspondence to Ebay and Paypal and they confirmed it was a scam, Ebay said that someone's Ebay account had been hacked and that's how they had done it. Buggers.

Here's some of the correspondence I got, I'll put it in Spoiler tags cos the screenshots are really big.

Here's the first email from the buyer:

To: thecocacolakid@hotmail.co.uk

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 02:17:30 -0500

Subject: I HAVE PAID eBay Item: Nokia N73 Mobile Phone (130139780766)

Hello Seller

I just want to let you know that i am the winner of your ebay item and i have just sent payment for the item through paypal. I want the item sent out today to my Grand Daughter in Nigeria because i am buying the item for him as a gift. This is his address.

Name :-Tunde Kamilu

Address :-6 Babashola Street Lawanson

City :- Surulere

State :- Lagos

Postal Code :- 23401

I want the item sent to him Via Royalmail Recorded Delivery, i have also added and additional 50 pounds being the shipping cost for the item. Paypal and ebay have asked me to contact you for the that the payment as beeb make and your paypal account will be credited as soon as they see the shipment tracking number and allso i will leave you a good positive feedback as soon the item as been send out and do the same for me.

Best Regards.

Quickly followed by this email from Paypal

paypal1.jpg

I then replied

To: "Tanya Viktora"

Subject: RE: I HAVE PAID eBay Item: Nokia N73 Mobile Phone (130139780766)

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:24:19 +0000

Nice try. I'll send the phone when the money is in my Paypal account and not a minute before.

To which recevied

hello seller

thanks for the mail,i have contact paypal about your payment they told me that what they need from you is just proof that you have send out the item that when you have provide them that your account will be credited that the reason why your account as not been credited is that the address that was given to you to send the item to is not a register address with paypal that the reason is that they are trying to protect both the buyer and the seller and please bear with them and i know that the money have been deducted from my account and please get back to me asap.

many thanks

And also this from "Paypal"

paypal2.jpg

When I didn't reply I started getting this email every day

paypal3.jpg

Some of the tricks they do, as well as the scamming obviously, is the pressure tactics - like "respond immediately or your Ebay and Paypal accounts will be suspended - this makes you feel like the criminal and pressures you into acting quickly and not thinking things through. Also most of their emails will be marked please reply ASAP, again trying to pressure you into replying quickly and maybe missing some of their slip ups.

anyone ever had the emails from the nigerian fraudsters asking for bank account details so they can hold millions in your account?

Some people have strung them along and exposed them, getting them to pose for pics with random items like fish and also even arranging to meet them at airports.

Read some real horror stories as well regarding people buying Guitars like Les Pauls from Ebay, Shelling out 2 grand and receiving a plank of wood with a Gibson logo worth no more than a sheet of plywood from B&Q.

There's a sewrial scammer in Leeds who trundles round in a twee jacket and a posh accent saying he's had an interview at the local university and his car has been stolen. He keeps muttering the phrase "I'm not a vagrant!" and then says if I don't believe him, I can phone his mum, and starts thrusting his phone towards me. I've had him a few times, and I still don't understand what he's asking for.

anyone ever had the emails from the nigerian fraudsters asking for bank account details so they can hold millions in your account?

Some people have strung them along and exposed them, getting them to pose for pics with random items like fish and also even arranging to meet them at airports.

Read some real horror stories as well regarding people buying Guitars like Les Pauls from Ebay, Shelling out 2 grand and receiving a plank of wood with a Gibson logo worth no more than a sheet of plywood from B&Q.

Welcome to the 419 Eater

I remember when I was 15 on a holiday in Texas, we were in the car and stopped at the traffic lights. This guy came up to the car and asked for some money "to get some gas". So my uncle hands over a $20 bill. Then the guy chances his arm and asks us to come round the corner "to help with his flat tyre". My uncle was all for going round and helping him out, but thankfully my Aunt was a bit wiser than him. In her best weegie scoff she said "Aye right, so we will" and we bolted out there. Needless to say she had a rant at my uncle for a while after that.

I just got an e-mail from Abbey National asking me to log all my details yada yada yada.

Anyway as I bank with Barclays I knew it was some scammer...then I looked at the senders e-mail address!!! Made me chuckle, at least they are honest!

"Abbey National plc." <emailscam.online@abbey.com>

Add sender to Contacts

To:

undisclosed-recipients

Abbey National Technical Services department is carrying Out a scheduled

Software Upgrade to Improve the quality of Services for bank's customers.

Clicking On the Link Below will start the procedure to confirm your Login details

These Instruction are being sent to all abbey National Bank

Customers and they must carried Out.

We Apologies for the inconvenience and Thank you for your Co- Operation.

Abbey National Plc

I was coming out of a hotel in Lodon last summer when a guy with an Italian accent stopped me and said he'd been exhibiting some designer suits at a trade fair and rather than take them back to Rome with him was looking to give them away. He kindly offered to let me get in the back of his blacked out van to try one on.

I'm not sure what the scam was as I'm a bit old for the people traffcking demographic but it didn't strike me that I'd be coming out of the van wearing a new Armani 3 piece suit.

I was coming out of a hotel in Lodon last summer when a guy with an Italian accent stopped me and said he'd been exhibiting some designer suits at a trade fair and rather than take them back to Rome with him was looking to give them away. He kindly offered to let me get in the back of his blacked out van to try one on.

I'm not sure what the scam was as I'm a bit old for the people traffcking demographic but it didn't strike me that I'd be coming out of the van wearing a new Armani 3 piece suit.

maybe he was going to come out wearing a new "czefski" suit, kinda like what happens in Men In Black.

They're fake suits, the whole story is a lie so you think he is a genuine Armani salesman, then he'll use high pressure sales tactics (I need a decision now I have a plane to catch etc.) to sell you an Armani suit for like 300, you'll think it's a bargain, but it's a knock off worth about a tenner.

I just got an e-mail from Abbey National asking me to log all my details yada yada yada.

Anyway as I bank with Barclays I knew it was some scammer...then I looked at the senders e-mail address!!! Made me chuckle, at least they are honest!

"Abbey National plc." <emailscam.online@abbey.com>

Add sender to Contacts

To:

undisclosed-recipients

Abbey National Technical Services department is carrying Out a scheduled

Software Upgrade to Improve the quality of Services for bank's customers.

Clicking On the Link Below will start the procedure to confirm your Login details

These Instruction are being sent to all abbey National Bank

Customers and they must carried Out.

We Apologies for the inconvenience and Thank you for your Co- Operation.

Abbey National Plc

Yeah, I've had these a couple of times (and one from Halifax)

(I do bank with Abbey though !) You can normally spot them a mile away, as the sentence/english consruction is so obviously composed by a foreinger.....

and the bank is just called Abbey PLC now, not "National".... god it makes me laugh...

I've also had a few, 20m dollars deposited in Nairobi/elswhere in Africa, wanting to offload it to me in our country cos the original depositor has died with no next of kin, blah de blah.... yeah right !!!!!! call me "Willie Hunt NOT Silly C*nt"

Unfortunatley, there are ALWAYS some numpties around, who will fall for them !