aberdeen-music

Growing Fruit Trees

Guest Bob

What sorts of fruit trees would grow well in this part of Scotland?

I'm tempted just to take an apple seed and grow a tree from that but if there's a decent local variety that would probably do better.

Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing?

my neighbour grows cooking apples, pears, brambles and gooseberries [and Rhubarb, if you are interested]

the apples and pears and usually best for like crumbles and cooking as they get hard as fuck, brambles make good jam, gooseberries and just yummy, and rhubarb crumbles and such too.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

maybe not the particular answer you're looking for but chilli plants (chillis are fruits, just not particularly sweet ones) are an absolute piece of piss to grow inside, all sorts of varieties available and it is the perfect edible plant to grow because one chilli goes a relatively long way (compared to say a tomato). last summer i planted 2 x jalapeno plants and used maybe one or two chillis every time i cooked anything that could benefit from them...curry, pasta sauces, mexican etc. because you get a good crop and aren't constantly pickign them they last so long. i got a packet of 6 different varieties in my stocking at chrimbo so i've planted them all and they are sprouting quite nicely.

chilli plants are the tits.

For a beginner i'd try planting blackberry/redberry bushes....These can be trimmed and maintained to have the appearance of a tree...I have blsck/berry gooseberry redberry and rasberrys out my back garden.........

Other fruit trees that are beautiful but produce no fruits are oranges.....My daughter asked me to plant 8 orange seeds for her....I explained to her that they just wouldnt grow here in scotland and they needed a hot country...After she nagged a little more i planted them....sat them on the kitchen window.....All 8 have grown into little 3ft trees which have the greenest leaves ive ever seen....Also can be pruned to be miniature trees which produce beautiful flowers during spring/summer.........

If looked after properly as a baby any fruit/seed/bulb will grow but not all will provide fruit.....

Anywho lol i'd stick with /blackberrys/redberrys for the first year as they will give you fruit on the first year....Poundland in town has some really really nice dried berry stalks that you simply stick in water for 1 hour then plant and there only a bloody pound......For all new gardeners id highly recommend a visit to poundland.............

Outside in scotland you can grow Apples, Cherries, Plums, Gooseberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Redcurrants, Blackcurrants, Tomatoes, Strawberries

Indoors using a good lighting setup or hydroponics the possibilities are endless

I would not reccommend rhubharb as every cat/dog in your area will use it as a toilet.......Rhubarb is a haven for animal pish.....

Niederrhein Nomad is correct in the types of fruit you can grow outside just make sure its a grafted tree though or you will never get any fruit ie if you grow your own apple seeds for example the likelyhood of any fruit is slim to nil.

Strawberrys and tomatoes can be grown form seed no problem but your best to keep them indoors untill there like 3-4" tall .. .. .. .. .. .

At the monet in my garden i currently have collie's,carrots,spring onion,tomatoes,cabbage and herbs and salad i have rocket,atlantic lettuce (lol?) parsley,tyme,rosemary(just cos it smells devine)Oh and the family favourite peas...The trick with peas is if you grow a few on different days you will have new peas after you devour the ripe peas lol meaning you dont eat all your peas in one day .. .. .