aberdeen-music

Post Rock / Math rock / Prog fusion

aekido

thats right, you read that!

Another thread by moi looking for a band, no one seems to love me and want my ideas :O *sob sob*

Anyway, I play bass, so looking for:

two guitarists

a drummer

someone on keys / synth

tho, if people interested could play more than one instrument that'd be cool too [i.e a guitarist that can play keyboard, or something]

Influences such as: Mogwai, Tool, Vessels, 65daysofstatic, Explosions in the Sky, My Bloody Valentine, Pink Floyd, Greater the Shadow, God is an Astronaut

Tho you're influences can be different, as the style would end up just being a mass fusion of lovelyness :p

interested? PM me or reply ^^

Math rock is a rhythmically complex, guitar-based style of experimental rock music that emerged in the late 1980s. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords.

Math rock shares its place of origin in the late 80s underground music scene of the American Midwest and surroundings with post-rock. Some earlier bands have characteristics of both math rock and post-rock, using instruments for textures rather than melodies and riffs, featuring atypical rhythms and some dissonance. The genres soon diverged: math rock concentrated on angular melodies, atypical time signatures, start-stop rhythms, and dissonance, while staying closer to rock music in sound and instrumentation. Post-rock, on the other hand, concentrated on heavy use of dynamics, creating soundscapes, and expanded the variety of instruments used, used a jazzier drumming style, and incorporated elements of shoegaze music.

Quoted from Wiki lol

What the hell is math rock?

i think folks like Don Cabellero/Battles are meant to be pioneers, but i don't know that much about it. other people do. anything with a stoppy starty/off kilter rhythm or a technical guitar part is pretty much descibed as 'mathy' from foals and meet me in st. louis to the likes of the dillinger escape plan. i don't mind it, i know other people do though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...