aberdeen-music

Sun Ra!

Rusty Deathnail

Guest Giles Walker

My only knowledge of Sonic Youth is from a Sun Ra bootleg, where they played in Central Park in New York supporting Sonic Youth, and there were complaints that Sun Ra were too loud.

Aren't they a big No Wave?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Looking to go a bit further with my delvings into the Sun Ra Arkestra. Got hold of "The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra" but was wondering if anyone had any stellar recommends for these guys? It's a pretty impressive back catalgoue.

Apologies for the lateness of this reply. I have been away and am just catching up with Aberdeen Music.

I have three DVD's of Sun Ra that you are welcome to borrow.

The first is Sun Ra at the Palamino Club Los Angeles in 1988. This also includes an unusual interview.

The second DVD has about 2 hours of Ra performing at the Montreux Jazz festival in 1976 and in Switzerland in 1990. There is also some solo piano from the seventies.

Unfortunately I can't find the third DVD which has concerts in East and later in West Berlin - these shows were in the 80's, This DVD also has a snatch of a French TV appearance in 1970 or 71. I will look for this DVD - it is definitely here but I have too much to look through - I will find it.

Sun Ra is unique and difficult to understand - Screamin' Jay Hawkins (no stranger to wierdness himself) described Sun Ra thus: "He is so far out, he's in space". And of course Sun Ra said he WAS from space.

If you are in Aberdeen you are welcome to borrow the two I have found - just PM me and I can drop them by you or you can pick up from me in Rosemount.

Graham