aberdeen-music

House/Flat hunting in Aberdeen City Centre

Shaki

is what me and the bird are up to.

Is anyone selling or buying at the moment? Everyone in my office and everyone down the pub has got something to say about what the market is like at the moment. What do people on the internet know? Even if you have no idea, take a guess like "oh well, I've heard it'll pick up by Christmas so you should be looking to buy around September time" or just make some vague references to it being a "Buyers Market".

Anyhow, we got refused for a shared equity government scheme, which if you're a first time buyer and get accepted, looks pretty nifty - LIFT Mortgages - Shared Equity Scheme - Shared Ownership - Scottish Government Mortgage Help it's run through Grampian Housing in Aberdeen.

We're looking at the areas around the city centre at the moment where you can get more for your money. Does anyone live in areas such as Mastrick/Summerhill, Northfield, Hilton, Kincorth? If so, are you regularly terrorised by gangs of knife wielding youths?

Any general advice appreciated.

I've been keeping an eye on things with a view to moving somewhere bigger once my flat repairs are finished. Things definitely seem to be picking up in the last month with much more stuff starting to come onto the market.

Guess with all the doom talk about the economy, the introduction of home reports and people not wanting to sell over christmas then it was always going to die at the start of this year but the market seems to be moving a lot more now.

One bedroom flats in the city centre still seem to be going for 100k plus if they're in good nick. If they need refurbishment then you're looking at 80k.

Mastrick/Summerhill aren't bad area's, just the usual kids hanging round the shops due to there being fuck all for them to do. Decent enough buses into town (if you class First as a decent bus company).

Haven't viewed anywhere down there yet but there's quite a few on the market. My bro lives in Bressae Brae and it's not bad down there. I guess there's nicer parts of these areas.

Haven't viewed anywhere down there yet but there's quite a few on the market. My bro lives in Bressae Brae and it's not bad down there. I guess there's nicer parts of these areas.

That's just round the corner from me. Not sure of the time scale but Cocker's Garden centre has moved further towards Kingswells, and new houses (to buy and housing association) are going to be built. Also the Stewart Milne flats just built next to the cocket hat on Anderson Drive have a sign up looking for first time buyers, not sure exactly what they are offering, but you would have the Mormons as neighbours.

Guest idol_wild

I lived on Mastrick Road for a period of almost a year and I had aboslutely no problem with the fact that it was in Mastrick at all.

I think you're more likely to get approached or bothered by idiots in somewhere like Portlethen than you are Mastrick.

I can't comment on the market to a great deal, but my Dad is trying to sell his impeccable two-bedroom flat (recently refurbished) in Mastrick for 109k and it's been on the market for around six months now. So I dunno if that tells you any more than you already know.

I used to live in Hilton on Carnie Drive and the flats there are ex-council for the most part. One of the best places I've lived bar where I am now. Massive living areas, definitely worth a look... plus it's not actually that far from town centre. If you take a wander round the area, probably best to look for the blocks of flats that people have worked on their gardens. Find this is a good indicator of the type of people living in the block.

I lived on Mastrick Road for a period of almost a year and I had aboslutely no problem with the fact that it was in Mastrick at all.

I think you're more likely to get approached or bothered by idiots in somewhere like Portlethen than you are Mastrick.

I can't comment on the market to a great deal, but my Dad is trying to sell his impeccable two-bedroom flat (recently refurbished) in Mastrick for 109k and it's been on the market for around six months now. So I dunno if that tells you any more than you already know.

Is your Dad's flat on the aspc site?

I used to live in Hilton on Carnie Drive and the flats there are ex-council for the most part. One of the best places I've lived bar where I am now. Massive living areas, definitely worth a look... plus it's not actually that far from town centre. If you take a wander round the area, probably best to look for the blocks of flats that people have worked on their gardens. Find this is a good indicator of the type of people living in the block.

We're looking at some on Clifton Road tonight. My bro used to live up there on Anderson Avenue and they found it ok.

Nicola can't wait to get out of Richmond Street Junkiesville! Round the corner where you are is ok I'm sure but her building is pretty bad. If it's nae junkies shouting through her letterbox for "some white" (she's not a dealer, they just got the wrong door) it's aul drunk, stinky mannies refusing me entry at the communal door. More entertaining than TV sometimes but it can get a bit much.

Yeah, i've actually got a really good block. Funny how just walking round the corner can make such a big difference. It is very depressing hearing the junkies shouting at the windows or through letter boxes or just to themselves, don't blame you for wanting to get out of there! Highly recommend Carnie Drive/Carden Place/Beatie Avenue area though, lots of garden space back when the council were generous with this and just the other side of westburn. Really close to Sainsburys.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

looking at either selling mine or renting it out and buying a 2nd flat in the next few months

it all depends on whether I am insane for considering the 2nd option. gotta take some risks in life though, right?

We're looking at some on Clifton Road tonight. My bro used to live up there on Anderson Avenue and they found it ok.

Nicola can't wait to get out of Richmond Street Junkiesville! Round the corner where you are is ok I'm sure but her building is pretty bad. If it's nae junkies shouting through her letterbox for "some white" (she's not a dealer, they just got the wrong door) it's aul drunk, stinky mannies refusing me entry at the communal door. More entertaining than TV sometimes but it can get a bit much.

Almost anywhere on Clifton Road is fine. The closer to the Haudigan you get the greater the chances of dodginess but really its still almost nil. There were a couple of muggings there in quick succesion a couple of years ago and it got a bit of a bad rep because of it, but they could have happened almost anywhere in Aberdeen.

Lived on and around Clifton Road for the majority of my life and have to give it the big thums up :up:

Quite, for had you done so at 12.30pm yesterday, you would have seen this:

Richmondstreet.jpg

It's like living in The Wire except not cool

HAHAHAHAHA, I only just saw this! Yeah, that looks about right. Saw a police car just round the corner the other day again. They are never on my street at all unless someone's car's been vandalised or something.

• 1 month later...