aberdeen-music

Best clubs and pubs?

Hello there,

Some of you may remember me from back in the day - Subsistence! Errr... Popcorn Fiend! Errr... Hookers Green! Oh... - not been here in a few years. If not, never mind, I wasn't that cool anyway.

But that's besides the point. I'm now writing a couple of articles for stv on the best clubs and pubs in Aberdeen, and was hoping for a few suggestions? All shall be much appreciated.*

* Unless it's for The Pearl Lounge, which surely can't be as bad as it seems from the few minutes I spent on its website. Can it? Hopefully I'll never find out.

PS Just saw my profile's still as awesome as ever. Rock on.

Hello there,

Some of you may remember me from back in the day - Subsistence! Errr... Popcorn Fiend! Errr... Hookers Green! Oh... - not been here in a few years. If not, never mind, I wasn't that cool anyway.

But that's besides the point. I'm now writing a couple of articles for stv on the best clubs and pubs in Aberdeen, and was hoping for a few suggestions? All shall be much appreciated.*

* Unless it's for The Pearl Lounge, which surely can't be as bad as it seems from the few minutes I spent on its website. Can it? Hopefully I'll never find out.

PS Just saw my profile's still as awesome as ever. Rock on.

Club wise, Snafu.

Bar 99 any night of the week is pretty cool for a few wee drinkies, nice selection of cocktails and it has some personality. (Not like most of the rest which are the usual leather sofas etc experience).

A safe bet is always Snafu, which is especially good on their DJ nights.

I realise I'm digressing slightly but if you want a busy night during the week you should try the following. (On average the busiest clubs during the week in as far as I can tell)

Monday - Tiger Tiger

Tuesday - Everywhere quiet. Trust me, I've tried them all.

Wednesday - Pearl Lounge (Tonik and Paramount are usually busy on a wed night)

Thursday - Try the freebies first. Priory *shudder* Exo and Espionage. The latter of which is most likely to have something going for it. If no, go to Snafu. I believe Snafu have just bought the place above so I'd expect some improvements there soon.

The new fashionable rock night on Friday is at Korova on Bridge Street. Nice view of Windmill Brae from the windows in the top bar. It's new as well so it may be worth a look.

Sat just go where you can get a drink. Go to Dusk early, get a window seat. Another bar that has a bit of a personality about it and FINE cocktails. Might be worth a look.

So.... Erm..... Snafu, Korova, Dusk and Bar 99 which I'm particularly a fan of.

My choices would be:

Pubs: Moorings, Tilted Wig, Howff, POW... with honorable mentions going to The Old Kings Highway (when Tommy Dene is there) and The Hen Hoose (for Kareoke)

Post pub clubs: Always enjoy myself in Snafu. Starting to feel a bit old in Exodus, but still enjoyable.

Out of interest what do people like so much about Under the Hammer? I don't hate it or anything, just find it's always too hot and, erm, just a room where people are drinking. I suppose that's pubs for you though so it's probably ok. The pubs I go to are the ones near where I live. I hate them all in different ways but fuck walking into (and then back from) town.

Clubs, I've hardly been to one since I got into a relationship. That's not to say I only ever went to clubs to pick up chicks, I rarely did, but I reckon that would have been the loose plan kicking around my drunken brain.

I trust this post has been of the utmost help to you in your quest to find the best pubs and clubs in Aberdeen.

Out of interest what do people like so much about Under the Hammer? I don't hate it or anything, just find it's always too hot and, erm, just a room where people are drinking. I suppose that's pubs for you though so it's probably ok. The pubs I go to are the ones near where I live. I hate them all in different ways but fuck walking into (and then back from) town.

it sells a good range of beers and isn't populated by arseholes.

I usually find the folk in Under the Hammer are pleasant...not a place where I'd expect to be bottled regularly :) But I'm not in that often, as I don't find it very comfy. I like old-fashioned pubs like the Prince of Wales, the Grill, the Adam Lounge, the Frigate etc. I sometimes enjoy the more down-market ones like the Hen Hoose, the Market Arms and the Lorne Bar. Like Shaki I'm too lazy to walk too far, so my most regular haunt is the Holburn Bar, for convenience.

Clubwise I'm too old to care, but I like Snafu. Have hopes that Korova will be OK, but have only sampled the bar bit at lunchtime so far.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

My preferences:

PUBS

Under the Hammer - nice relaxed atmosphere, bit of character, nice bar staff, kick in the arse from my work

Grill - old fashioned, relaxed, serves a cracking pint, kick in the arse from my work

Five - I like the staff in there, and its about the only more modern looking pub that I can actually stand...

CLUBS

Snafu - not full of wankers, good tunes, good pints, only downside is when its busy it's a nightmare to get served and Steven Milne is often there, and Steve Winton is also there a lot either trying to shag you or bottle you

Tunnels at the weekend would normally be my choice, but it rarely seems to be my choice and folk end up in Exodus, Priory, Espionage - hate those places. Used to love Exodus, but it's just crammed as full as it can get and often full of dicks

VENUES

Moshulu / Lemon Tree / Snafu / Drummonds / Tunnels - all very good in their own ways in my opinion. Moshulu's probably my favourite. Snafu's my favourite of the smaller venues.

Guest idol_wild

The Illicit Still is a pub I enjoy spending time in. They always tend to have good-looking barmaids and waitresses too. That helps.

It's one of my favourites.

Pubs: 99

Under the hammer

Clubs: Origin - showcases all the finest underground music. Holds the longest running Scottish drum n bass club night jungle nation. No where like it for a sweaty dance off in aberdeen.

Snafu: Excellent venue...you probably know enough about it already.