aberdeen-music

Posters in Five...

Wax

We have decided to utilise the hall area leading to the toilets for posters. Please mark your posters for the attention of Gomes and hand them over the bar. Please only hand over good looking posters, not folded/ripped ones and most certainly not posters that only advertise drink or food deals in other bars/clubs. Obviously we reserve the right to not put it up...oh, and any hard house, gabba or any other musical genre deemed to be of a neddy nature will be binned straight away. No offence.

Five, 5 Union Street, ABZ

Tel: (01224) 595585

Yeah, all venues are entitled to use the wall. As I said, just leave the posters for me to stick up. I have OCD and if the wall isn't symmetrical and at right angles, I may never get a good nights sleep again in my life. I wish I was kidding.

• Upvote 1

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

This conversation has been done before, but - which venues willingly take posters from other venues in the city?

By my reckoning, you've really just got:

Snafu (well Five)

Moorings

Cellar 35 (?) (I've seen other posters in Noose & Monkey - same people that run these places isn't it?)

That's it isn't it? Drummonds/Tunnels only do their own, as does Moshulu and Lemon Tree.

Venues should take posters from each other. Even just 1 per gig. Or have 1 dedicated wall like Five are doing where gig goers can look to see what's coming up. If all venues did it fairly, each gig would get more punters to know about what's going on, and everyone would benefit...

Guest idol_wild

I say fucking good on you, Five/Snafu.

Hopefully this will, to an extent, help the relationship between Aberdeen venues a little bit and introduce a more amicable atmosphere between them.

Got them and put them up! Keep em coming folks...

Although, got the first naming and shaming: whoever is promoting/flyering for Silly Sundayz @ the Tunnels, wise up and stop putting them all over the inside of Five and Snafu. Fucking amateurs.

Guest idol_wild

I've had problems recently with my posters (still in date) being removed and replaced by others. This vexes me a lot. I should perhaps name and shame the promoters/venues who have replaced them but there's nothing to guarantee they were the ones to remove the poster in the first place, I suppose.

Sigh.

I've had problems recently with my posters (still in date) being removed and replaced by others. This vexes me a lot. I should perhaps name and shame the promoters/venues who have replaced them but there's nothing to guarantee they were the ones to remove the poster in the first place, I suppose.

Sigh.

Our recent Rainbow Trust Fundraiser gig at Tunnels. All of the posters I put up in Captain Tom's were taken down a week bofore the gig. I'd stuck a few up - about 5 or 6 maybe, which is pretty normal for sticking posters up in there. But someone had taken every single one down. Nothing stuck in their place, just an empty space.

That's fucking ridiculous given that it's a charity gig.

Our recent Rainbow Trust Fundraiser gig at Tunnels. All of the posters I put up in Captain Tom's were taken down a week bofore the gig. I'd stuck a few up - about 5 or 6 maybe, which is pretty normal for sticking posters up in there. But someone had taken every single one down. Nothing stuck in their place, just an empty space.

That's fucking ridiculous given that it's a charity gig.

you stuck up 6 in toms??

I generally think it would be good to allow all good venues to flyer in each other and applaud those like Gomes who allow it. I have no choice over Drummonds/Tunnels despite being manager but its a bit annoying when you are there and you visibly see other promoters taking down and discarding posters already up to make way for their own. Have also witnessed promoters removing my own flyers and replacing them with their own, not realising that I am AGP and work in Tunnels/Drummonds. To see that first hand is just shit and I will quite happily refuse people like that in future. Its manners to just ask at the bar, sneeky fucks who try tio drop flyers on the tables for elsewhere without asking are just wasting their own time.

Sigh.

I bet I could guess who this is...

The only time I will take down someone else's poster is if it is out of date, or if they have major duplication in a very small area where space is at a premium.

tunnels/drummonds both used to let you put up gig posters from other venues, im not 100% sure why this stopped, but i presume it was because of other promoters and venues taking teh piss and taking down posters. it is a bit of a shame, there are obvious benifits to all venues having posters up in eachothers space, and in theory it would help EVERYONE.

Maybe they were taken down because 6 posters in a small building is total over kill, when 2 would be fine. Like when i saw about 300 flyers for the Kartta/Kid Kanaveral/Stanley gig on the front desk in One Up.

No - I totally disagree. Have you been in Tom's lately? Most gigs have at least 4 posters up in the various part of the building, and it isn't a problem. The guys at Tom's are totally laid back, and I don't think they'd give a flying fuck if I put up 30 posters to be honest. If they had a problem with me putting up too many posters I think they'd have just asked me to put up a couple less or whatever (I've been going there once/twice a week for 3-4 years now, and we know each other well, and we're on really good terms, it's not like I'm some kid walking in off the street and firing a million posters up). Or just taken down a couple of them. Not all of them. I suspect it was someone unconnected to Tom's taking down the posters because they either don't like me/The Underkills or had a gig they wanted folk to go to on the same night.

As for 300 flyers in One Up - doubt it. I don't even think I got 300 printed for the gig in total. And I gave a lot of those flyers to Phil.

I think you'll agree that the promotion for that gig worked seeing as we absolutely ram-packed Snafu even though it clashed with the Scotland v Holland match ;)

Anyway - back on topic. :up: to Gomes and Snafu/Five for accepting posters and going to the effort of sticking them up themselves etc. :up:

I think you'll agree that the promotion for that gig worked seeing as we absolutely ram-packed Snafu even though it clashed with the Scotland v Holland match ;)

Ram-packed? Is that a joke? I think you'll find after taking away the band members, there was no more than 40 people at the very most through the door. Anyone in the bands playing on the night will back me up on that one.

As for the flyers, it was a huge stack. Even the One Up staff were commenting on it.

Ram-packed? Is that a joke? I think you'll find after taking away the band members, there was no more than 40 people at the very most through the door. Anyone in the bands playing on the night will back me up on that one.

As for the flyers, it was a huge stack. Even the One Up staff were commenting on it.

Yes, it was a joke. ;)

Nice one Gomez, it's great that there's another place to put posters. We've allowed posters for gigs elsewhere since we took over the place 7 years ago. It doesn't harm trade in the slightest, and if anything possibly boosts it slightly as the diverse range of posters gives the place a good vibe.

Last year we clamped down on those other venues that refused to reciprocate, so we no longer feature posters for gigs at The Tunnels, Drummonds, or Moshulu. Their stance is strange as they generally put on several times as many gigs as we do, so reciprocation would actually work in their favour, but hey...

I bet I could guess who this is...

The only time I will take down someone else's poster is if it is out of date, or if they have major duplication in a very small area where space is at a premium.

I dont see why anyone would ever remove someone elses posters - thats just completly out of order. In Tunnels and Drummonds there is heaps of wall space and gnerally enough window space for everyone.

Issues in there are normally due to the ones on the window falling down when theres condensation on the window and then everyone stamping on the posters, but other than that I would say no ones posters are ever moved in either place?