aberdeen-music

Best Bass Heads...

Huw

Yeah, it's an Ampeg SVT-4 pro I play.

"Best bass heads" is a mis-leading title, as if you play what could be considered as a top end head like my one, through a terrible cab, you'll still get a poor sound.

Also, such things as drivers and pre-amps can define and upgrade the tone of almost any head.

Especially in a solid-state head in which you lack the 'warmth' you get from tube amp heads.

But following on from what Dan was saying, playing great gear gives you a boost of confidence on stage if you have confidence in your sound, and are happy with the bands sound overall.

But in some cases, if one or two members have great gear and one player plays through mince, you can only really sound as good as your worst guitar sound.

i vote you get the orange.

or a second hand svt2 pro, or second hand mesa 400+

the first two are the ones i'm looking at. i'm going down wales and passing by somewhere on the way to try one out (nowhere in Scotland seems to stock them). Gonna go down the moorings and try and catch the svt 2 in action too.

If I could find a Mesafor sale in this country I'd snap it up, but they are a rare beast!

The SVT VR looks sweet but it's like 1800 bucks! they are meant to be like vintage SVT tone though.

Out of interest, what are aguilar bass heads like?

the first two are the ones i'm looking at. i'm going down wales and passing by somewhere on the way to try one out (nowhere in Scotland seems to stock them). Gonna go down the moorings and try and catch the svt 2 in action too.

If I could find a Mesafor sale in this country I'd snap it up, but they are a rare beast!

The SVT VR looks sweet but it's like 1800 bucks! they are meant to be like vintage SVT tone though.

Out of interest, what are aguilar bass heads like?

The SVT-VR heads are meant to be great, but I have heard a few shit stories about them.

They are designed to look like the the original blueline SVT's but they don't sound anything like them, probably something to do with the fact that the vintage ones had Mullard valves in them.

They also have this stupid "tube protection circuit" which means that you turn the amp on and it automatically clicks off standby for you, but there were A LOT of people in the states having problems with theirs as it wouldn't come off of standby AT ALL. But in saying that, apparently, its really easy just to wire passed that part of the circuit.

Never heard one myself but loads of people over on the Talk Bass forums use and rave about them. EBS are also well worth a look. I've got an Ampeg SVT Classic and wouldn't swap it for anything.

EBS are meant to be great. I have heard one in action and tbh, I wasn't blown away.

Never heard one myself but loads of people over on the Talk Bass forums use and rave about them. EBS are also well worth a look. I've got an Ampeg SVT Classic and wouldn't swap it for anything.

yeah, totally. what i find with people on these forums and on you tube etc. is they all seem to be finger players or slap bass fanatics and somethings might sound dead good with that style, but for a player like me (pretty crap technique using a pick) it may just be of NO use.

you got any recordings or anything using that svt CL?

I have some really, really, really shit quality live ones with my band. Literally a wee digital recording box with an inbuilt mic in the middle of our practice space. Alternatively, I loaned my amp to my mates in Rise to record with about a month ago, so if you go here Rise on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads , then you will be able to hear it. I believe the bass used was an Ibanez SR200 with the bass player using fingers. The ones of me with my band are about 50/50 fingers and pick and using a Fender American Standard Jazz Bass. If you want those PM me with your email an I will send them over.

Guest droid
yeah, totally. what i find with people on these forums and on you tube etc. is they all seem to be finger players or slap bass fanatics and somethings might sound dead good with that style, but for a player like me (pretty crap technique using a pick) it may just be of NO use.

you got any recordings or anything using that svt CL?

Not true dude,i play all styles of music through my EBS rig and find it very versatile!Check this dude out http://www.peter-sonntag.com/.......EBS pick player.I can get an ampeg sound from my EBS,but you will never get an EBS sound from an ampeg.....lolz 8-)

someone should buy that, seriously, the 400+ is the fucking bollocks.

Last night I dreamt someone gave me one of those for free. It somehow transformed into an AD200 halfway through the dream though (not that I was bothered). It was glorious.

• 3 weeks later...