aberdeen-music

Best Bass Heads...

Huw

I think encouraging people to work hard and save for a better product at the end of the day rather than a short term "quick-fix", that they will ultimately wast money on and replace anyway, is always a good thing.

Yes but when it boils down to it whats the point of standing in front of 2000 worth of gear... its all for show.... 99% of punters wouldnt hear the difference between an Ampeg and and any old piece of crap, If you make a living from playing bass fine, the reliability and versatility of these amps come into their own, but someone playing in an Aberdeen pub once a month to 60 punters...!! its all for show.

Yes but when it boils down to it whats the point of standing in front of 2000 worth of gear... its all for show.... 99% of punters wouldnt hear the difference between an Ampeg and and any old piece of crap, If you make a living from playing bass fine, the reliability and versatility of these amps come into their own, but someone playing in an Aberdeen pub once a month to 60 punters...!! its all for show.

Currently using a Hartke 3500 head into an Ashdown ABM 4x10 cab. Total second hand scrounging - 340. I don't care what people think of it (although I did get complimented on it once when I shared it for a gig) - it's mostly for on stage monitoring purposes and it's probably overkill for my needs.

but the thing is, its not all for show....it sounds better. And thats why I have it.

yr probably right for the most part apart from the other part. I don't really care whether other people like how I sound as long as i do. it makes me happy.

but the thing is, its not all for show....it sounds better. And thats why I have it.

Yes but only to you, I dont have a problem with people who have the money to invest in thousands of pounds of gear, thats their choice, but most people cant afford nor do they really need it, thats my point. I'm not trying to dash anyones ambitions to own expensive pro gear, just pointing out that you can get a great sound for 1/3d of the price.

Cheapest I can find the B1RE new is 395, but most places have stuck it up to 500ish. I can remember saving up 370 for a B2, only for the price to rise by 200. Guy I spoke to at the store said the whole Ampeg range was going up by a similar amount. Secondhand however I'm sure you'd be able to pick up a bargain. I've got an SVT-350 which in all honesty I probably wouldn't have bought if it weren't for the amazing price I got it for off eBay. It does the job though and will do until I can afford something better (which will be fucking ages).

Cheapest I can find the B1RE new is 395, but most places have stuck it up to 500ish. I can remember saving up 370 for a B2, only for the price to rise by 200. Guy I spoke to at the store said the whole Ampeg range was going up by a similar amount. Secondhand however I'm sure you'd be able to pick up a bargain. I've got an SVT-350 which in all honesty I probably wouldn't have bought if it weren't for the amazing price I got it for off eBay. It does the job though and will do until I can afford something better (which will be fucking ages).

as far as I'm aware, the SVT 350 is one of the better solid state ampeg amps. Krist Novaselic (sp?) used a similiar one when recording "nevermind", though i think his was the now discontinued SVT 400. He used a Gibson Ripper > a distortion pedal > SVT400 and it sounds absolutely GREAT!

Yes but only to you, I dont have a problem with people who have the money to invest in thousands of pounds of gear, thats their choice, but most people cant afford nor do they really need it, thats my point. I'm not trying to dash anyones ambitions to own expensive pro gear, just pointing out that you can get a great sound for 1/3d of the price.

I bought my gear because I like the way it sounds. If I didn't play in a band I would still want a head like the one I have. Maybe not the cab so much because I couldn't use it in the house. But the point I'm making is that I bought it because I love playing bass. And I will hold onto this amp even if I'm not in a band at somepoint in the future. If you are really serious about playing your instrument, then spending a lot of money on something that you love is worth it. I have 4 basses at the moment, don't really need 4 do I? But I got them because I love the way they play, look and sound.

I bought my gear because I like the way it sounds. If I didn't play in a band I would still want a head like the one I have. Maybe not the cab so much because I couldn't use it in the house. But the point I'm making is that I bought it because I love playing bass. And I will hold onto this amp even if I'm not in a band at somepoint in the future. If you are really serious about playing your instrument, then spending a lot of money on something that you love is worth it. I have 4 basses at the moment, don't really need 4 do I? But I got them because I love the way they play, look and sound.

That reads like.... if you dont spend enough money then you dont show enough commitment to your instrument, its all subjective, you like how it sounds, you can afford the investment... your happy. I have four basses that I love and a collection of old shit back line that gives me a sound that I can live with and its all cost me a lot of money. I love it all but I guess the whole lot cost me less than your back line, each to their own eh? My point is 1000 bass head doesnt make anyone a better player, players cant let their lack of funds hold them back, I'm using an old Peavey combo that cost me next to nothing and it sounds great, and is ideal for small pub gigs.

That reads like.... if you dont spend enough money then you dont show enough commitment to your instrument, its all subjective, you like how it sounds, you can afford the investment... your happy. I have four basses that I love and a collection of old shit back line that gives me a sound that I can live with and its all cost me a lot of money. I love it all but I guess the whole lot cost me less than your back line, each to their own eh? My point is 1000 bass head doesnt make anyone a better player, players cant let their lack of funds hold them back, I'm using an old Peavey combo that cost me next to nothing and it sounds great, and is ideal for small pub gigs.

its not meant to read like that. What it was meant to read like was, if you do love your instrument and are committed to it, then why not save up for something that sounds really great rather than something that will "do for now"

I think the bee in your bonnet has become a hive somewhere along the line. Live and let live. I'm a grippy, skip raiding so-and-so myself, but if someone wants to spend 000s on gear, let 'em.

No-one said buying expensive gear made you a better player - you're showing a little bit of inferiority complex there, if you will indulge my amateur psychiatry.

• Upvote 1

I think the bee in your bonnet has become a hive somewhere along the line. Live and let live. I'm a grippy, skip raiding so-and-so myself, but if someone wants to spend 000s on gear, let 'em.

No-one said buying expensive gear made you a better player - you're showing a little bit of inferiority complex there, if you will indulge my amateur psychiatry.

I repeat...

"Yes but only to you, I dont have a problem with people who have the money to invest in thousands of pounds of gear, thats their choice, but most people cant afford nor do they really need it, thats my point. I'm not trying to dash anyones ambitions to own expensive pro gear, just pointing out that you can get a great sound for 1/3d of the price. "

No bees in bonnet and no inferiority complex... "if you will indulge my amateur psychiatry" eh no...yer shite!!

I'm with Scott on this one.

Buying better gear doesn't mean that you are instantly a "better" guitarist/bassist etc, a great player on a cheap rig will always sound better than a poor player on a great rig. But a great player on a great rig will sound fantastic.

However, I have found expensive gear HAS made me a better player;

My guitar plays miles better than any other that I have tried, and my amp is so unforgiving for a high-gain head, that any mistakes I make are very plainly obvious - which has made me a tighter/better player.

It took me an entire year to pay for my head (ooh er missus) but to me that was worth it, and I think that does represent some sort of dedication to your instrument - especially when you then see people out spending loads of money on drink at the weekend, and then complaining that they don't want to shell out a few hundred quid on a new valve amp.

And also, for venues without PA systems the quality of your rig is far more apparent when you have to really crank it.

Guest droid
in my defence i did name the thread "Best Bass Heads"

Head down to guitar guitar and check out the EBS range.....i have the TD650 and i'm liking it very mucho!

anyone know if the ampeg SVT450 is any good? according to ampeg it sounds like a valve amp even though its solid-state, but i've never seen one to try.

would love an all valve bass head like an SVT2 or mesa 400+ but its something i cant see myself being able to afford anytime soon.

anyone know if the ampeg SVT450 is any good? according to ampeg it sounds like a valve amp even though its solid-state, but i've never seen one to try.

would love an all valve bass head like an SVT2 or mesa 400+ but its something i cant see myself being able to afford anytime soon.

I used john from set light our kingdoms one at deenfest last year, i loved it, had plenty of low end and enougth pop for me, best to ask would be bowden, it was his before he sold it to john,

I used john from set light our kingdoms one at deenfest last year, i loved it, had plenty of low end and enougth pop for me, best to ask would be bowden, it was his before he sold it to john,

nah nah, yr thinking of a 4-pro.

Graham - 'Ross.' has the closest thing to it (a 350 i believe). I think the bassist from Sunset Squad has an actual 450. they're pretty much identical to an svt 3-pro in spec except they have a solid-state pre instead of a valve pre, which i'm not certain makes differenciates between the heads massively or brings them any closer to sounding like a valve head (the SVT 3-pro doesn't and i'd be surprised if the 450 did). Neither sound bad mind, just not like a valve head.

cheers for that huw! i'd love a bass head that can give me a nice gritty/driven sound. bought an ampeg B5R on ebay a few months back that has a clean channel and an overdrive channel. clean channel sounds good but the overdrive channel just sounds wank. was hoping it would give me a slight bit of grit but all it does is horrible fuzz with no low end. guess i'll just have to start saving for a valve ampeg to get the tone i want.

Graham - 'Ross.' has the closest thing to it (a 350 i believe). I think the bassist from Sunset Squad has an actual 450. they're pretty much identical to an svt 3-pro in spec except they have a solid-state pre instead of a valve pre, which i'm not certain makes differenciates between the heads massively or brings them any closer to sounding like a valve head (the SVT 3-pro doesn't and i'd be surprised if the 450 did). Neither sound bad mind, just not like a valve head.

old bassist from sunset squad used an svt classic, tasker uses an ashdown evo II i believe.

ONLY A VALVE AMP WILL SOUND LIKE A VALVE AMP, DON'T BELIEVE WHAT MANUFACTURERS TELL YOU.

cheers for that huw! i'd love a bass head that can give me a nice gritty/driven sound. bought an ampeg B5R on ebay a few months back that has a clean channel and an overdrive channel. clean channel sounds good but the overdrive channel just sounds wank. was hoping it would give me a slight bit of grit but all it does is horrible fuzz with no low end. guess i'll just have to start saving for a valve ampeg to get the tone i want.

try a blues driver to get a bit of grit, i tried it recently and was suprised that it let all or most of the low end of the bass still through.

Gave me that top end grit as well which is nice.

Yeah, mine's pretty much the same as the 450 but 350 watts. Don't believe any of the blurb on the site- it doesn't sound anything like a proper valve amp at all. For the amount of money the SVT-450s are new you'd be far better waiting and saving the extra cash, or possibly looking into other amp brands. As I said earlier, I only bought mine because I got it at a really good price, otherwise I wouldn't have been looking at getting a solid state Ampeg. It sounds good, but it's nothing like the sound of an SVT Classic, for example.