aberdeen-music

Ashton Amps & Drum Skins

Aaron_Robertson

Folks,

Have any of you heard of Ashton Amps Cant really see much about them online.. Any good?

ALSO

Re skinning a drum kit (not a drummer) bought all the heads I need (Evans Hydraulic) heads. do bottom skins (non batter side) need to be of the same high quality? will it affect the sound much?

Cheers

Aaron

if your using evans its best to use evans underheads as well. although it wont make a huge difference unless your looking for a very professional sound and by the looks of things your not. Just make sure they are heads designed for being on the underside, normal heads will not really do the job.

For the record i would avoid hydraulic's, not great for getting a good sound from the drum IMO. If your just learning or bashing about pinestripes would do a much better job.

if your using evans its best to use evans underheads as well. although it wont make a huge difference unless your looking for a very professional sound and by the looks of things your not. Just make sure they are heads designed for being on the underside, normal heads will not really do the job.

For the record i would avoid hydraulic's, not great for getting a good sound from the drum IMO. If your just learning or bashing about pinestripes would do a much better job.

Apart from the aesthetic quality of having a nice Evans logo on both heads, there's no practical reason why you're better off matching the brand on the batter and bottom heads.

As long as you're using a decent quality thin (normally single-ply) resonant head, it doesn't make a bean of difference whether you're using Remo, Evans, Aquarian or anything else.

As for the advantages of using Pinstripes, that's entirely dependent on the sound you're looking for, and the type of drums you're using.....if you're a heavy player, and are just bashing about, then fair enough Pinstripes are a good, durable head, but there are umpteen alternative and equally good options.

Last thing to note is that the bottom head is your resonant head, and the correct tuning of this head is at least as important as tuning the batter head. Lots of people spend ages tuning the top head and completely neglect the undersides.....pointless.

Apart from the aesthetic quality of having a nice Evans logo on both heads, there's no practical reason why you're better off matching the brand on the batter and bottom heads.

As long as you're using a decent quality thin (normally single-ply) resonant head, it doesn't make a bean of difference whether you're using Remo, Evans, Aquarian or anything else.

As for the advantages of using Pinstripes, that's entirely dependent on the sound you're looking for, and the type of drums you're using.....if you're a heavy player, and are just bashing about, then fair enough Pinstripes are a good, durable head, but there are umpteen alternative and equally good options.

Last thing to note is that the bottom head is your resonant head, and the correct tuning of this head is at least as important as tuning the batter head. Lots of people spend ages tuning the top head and completely neglect the undersides.....pointless.

yeah pinstripes are dependent on the sound you are looking for, i just find them an overall better head for my practise kits, again tho that was compared to the Hydralics, i just really didnt like they sound they gave i should have made that a bit clearer. There are much better heads for live and recording obviously but again it all depends what your using the kit for.

Your right about the tunning thing as well lots of people tend to ignore the bottom head when as you say it is just as important as the batter head.