aberdeen-music

Aberdeen-Music stalking.

Lemonade

Robert Knight buying alcohol with a friend in at the Co-op in Aboyne.

That was me and Ryan Massie. Buying booze for after our recording sesh @ Exile with Mark Nicol.

We wouldn't have been there only we were ID'd in Kincardine O'Neil.

The boy was a comedian like. Ryan plonked a crate of beers on the counter and the conversation went something like this.

Boy: Have you got any ID for that?

Ryan: No, I am 26 though

Boy: But you don't look 25

Ryan: Okay... but that's because I'm 26

Boy: But if you look under 25 you need to have ID here, don't you have any ID?

Ryan: Well, not on me. Can I ask how old you are?

Boy: 18

Ryan: Well come on, surely I look older than you?

Boy: Yes, you do, but you have to look over 25 or I can't sell you any beers

Bob: Okay then, I'll buy the beer then. I'm 27. Surely I look older than 25?

Boy: Yeah, you do

Bob: Okay, how much are those beers then?

Boy: I can't sell you any beers either though

Bob: Oh, why's that?

Boy (pointing to Ryan): Cos I know you're buying them for him

That's when we decided to go to Aboyne.

That was me and Ryan Massie. Buying booze for after our recording sesh @ Exile with Mark Nicol.

The boy was a comedian like. Ryan plonked a crate of beers on the counter and the conversation went something like this.

Comedian or not he's just following the law. Trust me it's even more funny where I work. I work in a toy shop and we are not allowed to sell toy guns to people under 18, and the policy is that you have to look at least 7 years older, or else you will be ID'd. So you could conceivably ID a person who looks 24, for trying to buy a plastic gun for their child.

Comedian or not he's just following the law.

I think the funny thing is that A. He admitted that Ryan looked over 18 (the actual age required to buy alcohol) and B. That I looked over 25 (the fake, silly made-up age they required) and C. He still wouldn't sell us the beers.

It was daft, we went to the co-op and bought a crate of beers, 12 cans of coke, bulmers, papers and assorted snacks, crisps and sweets that in the end probably totalled around 30. I do realise the boy was only doing his job.

It didn't bother me, I just thought the final "but I know you're buying them for him" line was a pretty funny comeback.

Cool story.

The shocking thing is the amount of shop workers that actually think they're not allowed to sell alcohol to anyone unless they ARE over 25 (not just look it). I have twice had to have a manager explain infront of me to someone at a checkout that even though I look under 25, the fact my ID says I am over 18 allows Joe Checkout to sell me some booze.

Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

My girlfriend got asked for ID in that Paperchase shop last week while trying to buy a box of Christmas crackers. Even when she did produce her ID the guy wouldn't sell her the crackers because she is under 21. So there you go, the only thing in the UK that's so dangerous you need to be 21 to buy it is Christmas crackers.

Guest Gladstone
Wirelessly posted (LG-GC900/V10a Obigo/WAP2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

My girlfriend got asked for ID in that Paperchase shop last week while trying to buy a box of Christmas crackers. Even when she did produce her ID the guy wouldn't sell her the crackers because she is under 21. So there you go, the only thing in the UK that's so dangerous you need to be 21 to buy it is Christmas crackers.

Your girlfriend is under 21?

I'd rep you for that, but alas, I'm not putting it about enough.

In France I've never seen or heard of anyone getting ID'd for anything ever. The laws are pretty much the same as back home but they are just more relaxed towards it. I mean, If you really want to get a hold of booze and fags when you're 15 it's easy enough without having to buy it yourself so why get so militant about it to the point where a lot of people in that borderline of-age looking 18-25 bracket constantly have that awkward moment at the counter where they get eyed-up by the assistant. It's only mildly annoying, all you need to do is flash your driving license but still, it shatters your street cred. Luckily I have none to shatter. That said, I've not been ID'd back home for a good while so my balls must have finally dropped.

The other day in a shop a girl in front of me bought a scratchcard and 40 marlboros and she couldn't have been a day over 10. No exaggeration. The guy serving her took it as read that they were for her mum/dad. Made me chuckle though.

Guest Gladstone

The other day in a shop a girl in front of me bought a scratchcard and 40 marlboros and she couldn't have been a day over 10. No exaggeration. The guy serving her took it as read that they were for her mum/dad. Made me chuckle though.

I used to be able to buy my Dad cigars from the shop in New Deer when I was a kid. Times have changed so much in 20 years...

Your girlfriend is under 21?

I'd rep you for that, but alas, I'm not putting it about enough.

Clearly he is though :up:

Working in Morrisons i'm not allowed to sell alcohol until i'm 18 next month, but most of us there aren't so strict that we're gonna ID someone we are convinced is 18, it's not black and white but there are people who could be underage and then there are people you just know are not under 18, but they still want us to ID them, it's quite silly, but quite often a necessary procedure.

I just don't like the shit i get when only one customer has ID and the other doesn't "Look mate, trust me, you only need mine, i'm buying the alcohol". I spend a very depressing 30hours a week in that place then the customers seem to think they can convince me i don't know how to do my job. cunts. plus, trust them? why, they obviously don't know the law.

ha reminds me of when I was in Somerfield near where I live once. Boy who looked about 15 trying to buy a lottery ticket, so guy at till said 'no id no sale' etc... his mother was beside him though and said i'll buy it then. Obviously person behind till said no, as she was clearly going to give him the lottery ticket. Then she started this massive fuss about how it was her money so it didn't matter who she gave it to etc, then even got the manager to write down his details and everything so she could make a formal complaint.

Some people are just so stupid. Irrespective of their way of dressing, ignorant behaviour and annoying way of talking, The story above is why I hate chav's! Although I suppose if you don't know the law, you can plead ignorance when you break it.

I don't understand this. Why do you need to ID people who aren't buying alcohol?

This. I get what they are trying to do, but it is such a violation of rights. It isn't against the law to have friends under 18 go shopping with you, or friends over 18 who don't have an ID with them which can get you refused a sale.

Also, if you ID the customer who is buying the alcohol and they in turn go on to provide it to someone underage, then surely the shop has zero liability on that.

This. I get what they are trying to do, but it is such a violation of rights. It isn't against the law to have friends under 18 go shopping with you, or friends over 18 who don't have an ID with them which can get you refused a sale.

Also, if you ID the customer who is buying the alcohol and they in turn go on to provide it to someone underage, then surely the shop has zero liability on that.

There was a story recently about a woman doing her weekly shop with her young (think she was about 10 or 11) daughter and she was refused a bottle of wine because her daughter was under 18. The supermarket were unrepentant even when the press picked up on the story. Completely stupid.

A couple of times I've seen foreign students in supermarkets being refused because they don't have ID that the supermarket accepts. One group had Aberdeen Uni ID cards but they were refused because they don't have the date of birth on them. Seem to remember though that when my friends were at Aberdeen Uni only the ones that were under 18 had a date of birth type thing on it and that was along the lines of "not 18 until: date", dunno if this is still the case though.

Guest Gladstone

They're not violating anyone's rights. The shop can choose who it sells it's products to. It's a private business. If they don't want your money because your friends are under 18, then they can refuse to take your money.

I think it's a bit daft, but they can really do what they like on this front. They could even make it their policy to only sell alcohol to people who are over 40 years old, because they think people under 40 are irresponsible drinkers. It's completely up to them.

They don't have an obligation to sell you booze (or anything else).

There was a story recently about a woman doing her weekly shop with her young (think she was about 10 or 11) daughter and she was refused a bottle of wine because her daughter was under 18.

It's weird that you brought that up, because that would have been my argument - "What if a mum came in with a child would you refuse her a bottle of wine?"

But obviously the answer is, "In some cases yes".

All of this smacks a little bit too much of the thought police.

Very true, but it is their sole reason for existence.

I think the supermarkets are delivering a very strong message to the consumer here; leave the kids and your under-age pals in the car.

There was a story recently about a woman doing her weekly shop with her young (think she was about 10 or 11) daughter and she was refused a bottle of wine because her daughter was under 18. The supermarket were unrepentant even when the press picked up on the story. Completely stupid.

A couple of times I've seen foreign students in supermarkets being refused because they don't have ID that the supermarket accepts. One group had Aberdeen Uni ID cards but they were refused because they don't have the date of birth on them. Seem to remember though that when my friends were at Aberdeen Uni only the ones that were under 18 had a date of birth type thing on it and that was along the lines of "not 18 until: date", dunno if this is still the case though.

It was up until a couple of years ago, when I worked in the Student Union I confiscated countless student cards with the "Not 18 Until" bit scratched off, or taken off with nail varnish remover.

Guest Gladstone
It's weird that you brought that up, because that would have been my argument - "What if a mum came in with a child would you refuse her a bottle of wine?"

But obviously the answer is, "In some cases yes".

All of this smacks a little bit too much of the thought police.

Very true, but it is their sole reason for existence.

I think the supermarkets are delivering a very strong message to the consumer here; leave the kids and your under-age pals in the car.

Yes, I agree. But the person above was suggesting it was some sort of violation of human rights, which is just not true.

Like I said, I think it's a bit of a daft policy. The policy to ID anyone who looks under 25 seems fairly sensible, but if the Supermarket sells booze to someone who is 24 who shows them ID but happens to be with someone under 18, they have broken no laws, so they will be okay in the eyes of the law. Obviously it gets a bit messy if for example the younger friend hands over the cash at the till or whatever, but they can make whatever policies they like (within reason of course - it would be fair to say that they wouldn't be allowed a "no blacks" sign at the door or anything like that!)

They're not violating anyone's rights. The shop can choose who it sells it's products to. It's a private business. If they don't want your money because your friends are under 18, then they can refuse to take your money.

I do agree with you, of course they are entitled to not serve you anything, but I think it does get messy and is interfering with your rights if you have provided an ID and the store is happy with positive identification that proves you are over 18, then they discriminate against selling you a product because of the company you keep.

I don't know why I am so angry about it anyway, im 26 and most of my friends are of similar age and it rarely ever happens to me. I shall let the 18 year olds cry about it.