aberdeen-music

1ztra documentary on scottish "urban music" scene

Djamba

Guest Giles Walker

I like how Jack declares that Bassline House goes down better here than in Sheffield, basing his judgement entirely on the one time he played at my night.

Anyone else here even know what bassline house is, or any place that plays it apart from my night?

I think it is a bit of a shame that Tez wasn't mentioned either, he has been running Jungle Nation for 12 years now. Longer than just about every other Drum & Bass night in the country.

Although apart from that, i am not surprised that Aberdeen wasn't mentioned.

They just needed to look on here to see that, for the most part, we offer nothing of cultural relevance.

Anyone disagree?

Guest droid

Jungle Nation for 12 years now. Longer than just about every other Drum & Bass night in the country.

Erm True Playaz,Logical Progression and Metalheadz.....still going! Maybe you meant Scotland.

They just needed to look on here to see that, for the most part, we offer nothing of cultural relevance.

Anyone disagree?

I'll take you up on this.

Agree and disagree, the only places that are 'culturally relevant' are those which strike out on their own.

Aberdeen could be like that. Easily.

It's the constant, pointless comparisons to Edinburgh/Glasgow that prevent it from happening.

Forget about them. Do something different. There's.shitloads of talent here, it just needs a bit of a push in my opinion...

I saw Tez on a flyer for Respect in Los Angeles once! If we had a club as good as that, 1Xtra might notice. But we've got Hotel Metro. Now, I haven't been in there since the days of The Pelican and Glider but I was convinced by these experiences never to return. Could shitty venues be part of the problem?

So I'm guessing snafu winning Scottish nightclub of the year twice in a row went right over your head then? Fending off competition from huge capacity venues like The Arches...

How can you possibly comment on the state of venues when you freely admit you haven't been clubbing "since you was a young lad"?

So I'm guessing snafu winning Scottish nightclub of the year twice in a row went right over your head then? Fending off competition from huge capacity venues like The Arches...

How can you possibly comment on the state of venues when you freely admit you haven't been clubbing "since you was a young lad"?

Well, I don't think I said that at all. I'm saying I don't fancy Jungle Nation at that particular venue, since I've been to nicer warehouses. If Jungle Nation was at Snafu I might go.

Next week; Ths Scottish Rural Music Scene, feat Jimi Shandrix Expereince, Entire Population of Shetland, ad infinitum.

I dislike the 'Urban' terminology, although when I first heard it i thought it was for modernist sounds of the city, not just a new way of saying contemporary pop soul.

To be fair I dislike most musical nomenclature, 'cept JUNGLE.

Well, I don't think I said that at all. I'm saying I don't fancy Jungle Nation at that particular venue, since I've been to nicer warehouses. If Jungle Nation was at Snafu I might go.

But you haven't been to the pelican (or Origin as it's now known),since it changed hands and was revamped...

But you haven't been to the pelican (or Origin as it's now known),since it changed hands and was revamped...

Tell me what's radically changed and I'll stand corrected, but all I recall is it being either freezing cold or burning hot, depending on the head count, and waking up with shredded lungs the next day 'cos they seemed to think that heavy use of petrochemical smoke machines in an enclosed space was a good idea.

Happy memories indeed.

Remember when Paz painted the whole place white, about half a day before there was a night on; new genre- Sticky Disco.

Used to be a good Downtempo night mid-90s, could be freezing though. Or on the 2 occasions I played a Mondragon set there (rare event) to 8 people (hi Tez), and a few years after to about 12 (baltic).

Still, its a proper club space, none of your fancy 'design' there, etc etc.

Guest Giles Walker
Jungle Nation for 12 years now. Longer than just about every other Drum & Bass night in the country.

Erm True Playaz,Logical Progression and Metalheadz.....still going! Maybe you meant Scotland.

Dude!! You named 3 Drum and Bass nights after i had typed "just about"

Are you stupid?

Are you?

You are aren't you?

So what you are saying is that it hasn't been running for longer than most Drum and Bass nights in this country (Britain last time i checked, although if you want to think of Scotland as a country then that is your choice)

I think if we look at most of the Drum and Bass clubs in the country we will find that Jungle Nation has in fact been running longer than them.

Unless those three you mentioned are the only ones left, in which case i offer my humble apologies to all upset.

Anyone disagree?

you cant be daft enough to think this site actually offers an insight into the vast types of music being performed in this city right?

Infact this site offers very little in the way of an insight into anything other than the popular genre's of music, ie rock, metal, punk or pop music. Aberdeen offers alot, if you bother to look for it, which the bbc obvioulsy didnt, which isnt a suprise due to the fact they would have less trouble finding out about events further south.

Dont discount aberdeen like most people do, its the easy way out.

• 3 weeks later...
you cant be daft enough to think this site actually offers an insight into the vast types of music being performed in this city right?

Infact this site offers very little in the way of an insight into anything other than the popular genre's of music, ie rock, metal, punk or pop music. Aberdeen offers alot, if you bother to look for it, which the bbc obvioulsy didnt, which isnt a suprise due to the fact they would have less trouble finding out about events further south.

Dont discount aberdeen like most people do, its the easy way out.

Well said that man. I get totally pissed off when folk slate Aberdeen and what is "doesn't offer" Well if it aint "your cup of tea" feck off to where it is "your cup of tea"

There have been and indeed are shit loads of good bands in Aberdeen but it's this attitude of the central belt is better that is stifling the talent up here.

So, get up of yer arses and either A. look for whats good musically in Aberdeen instead of jumping on the Glasgow,Edinburgh etc are miles better bandwagon. or B. Move to Glasgow or Edinburgh as you clearly dont find what stimulates you in Aberdeen.