aberdeen-music

Murder at Sainsburys Berryden

Guest Gladstone

If given the choice, far too many would just pick prison. The amount of folk I saw that were on a conveyor belt in and out of Craiginches when I worked at the Sheriff Court was ridiculous. Can't be arsed going into it but the system for "punishing" or "rehabilitating" petty offenders is a complete joke. Some of them actually like it in that place. All their mates are in and out of the place with them as well. It's just part of their life.

Lucky's idea is brilliant in my opinion. Get the fuckers into the army where they'll be taught proper discipline rather than just shuffling about in a prison half the time with not enough time out of it to get or hold down a job. One big vicious circle. A year or two in the army (or longer), away from their mates and the community that got them into their ways, with the added discipline etc etc.

Honestly, Lucky Rathen for Prime Minister.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
Clockwork Orange, IMO.

Nah, I'm not convinced that draconian measures are going to work. America has the worst murder rate in the western world so the deterrent value of the death penalty seems dubious, I think there are probably enough hoodlums in the army already. More appropriate sentencing for a serious crime like this (and there really is no excuse for ending someone's life over a work argument) would be best, in my opinion. 20 years inside, get out when you're 40 if you've been a good boy and think of all you could have been for the rest of your life.

But Lucky isn't talking about murderers. He's talking about the petty criminals. Get the fuckers out of jail and do something useful with them.

It gets them away from all the other criminals/drugs/etc in the prison, freeing up cells etc etc.

Leaving room for the ones who really should be there.

And - if you get them out of their criminal ways at an early stage and possibly turn them into better citizens then you'll have less of them turning into more serious criminals.

But Lucky isn't talking about murderers. He's talking about the petty criminals. Get the fuckers out of jail and do something useful with them.

It gets them away from all the other criminals/drugs/etc in the prison, freeing up cells etc etc.

Leaving room for the ones who really should be there.

And - if you get them out of their criminal ways at an early stage and possibly turn them into better citizens then you'll have less of them turning into more serious criminals.

No, I get that though this was initially about a sentence for murder. I'm just not convinced that the army really does promote self-discipline. Maybe they're well behaved on base but squaddies on leave can be a handful, I know this from living near to a base. Perhaps the chance of a career would be a good incentive for some but if you enter as the criminal class, will you really shrug off that stigma and make it up through the ranks?

Hmm, not that long ago people were getting worked up about gays not being able to concentrate on their duties because they fancy their colleagues, do you think murderers and rapists would be better motivated and more trustworthy?

Perhaps if their lives were at stake they might just be slightly more motivated, that said there are certain things that solitary confinement should be for, murder, GBH, Repeated rapist

Salmond should start a foreign legion style troupe

Force petty criminals to serve a sentence in the army instead of prison. 2 years on the frontline will make a man of anyone and put them on the straight and narrow, instead of 2 years in prison where they'll have access to more drugs than they can get on the outside. This will also solve the overcrowding problem and boost falling army recruitment numbers. BANG! Next issue please.

How about a radio show called 30 seconds, starring you. We, the public, throw social dilemmas at you, and you solve them, in... well - 30 seconds. Some American sports discussion shows do this. They have a certain amount of time to discuss a topic, an alarm sounds, and then they have to go onto the next. An alarm for fuck sake!

NO! you heard the buzzer. Fuck baseball. We're talkin' 'bout NASCAR now!

Perhaps if their lives were at stake they might just be slightly more motivated, that said there are certain things that solitary confinement should be for, murder, GBH, Repeated rapist

The problem with solitary confinement is that it is actually damaging to the prisoner's mental health over time. Really, the only justifiable use is when the prisoner is either a danger to others or at risk himself. It's hardly a nurturing environment for rehabilitation.

We always seem to be veer between the extremes of brutalising and coddling criminals in this country. I don't really see any benefit to either.

The problem with solitary confinement is that it is actually damaging to the prisoner's mental health over time. Really, the only justifiable use is when the prisoner is either a danger to others or at risk himself. It's hardly a nurturing environment for rehabilitation.

We always seem to be veer between the extremes of brutalising and coddling criminals in this country. I don't really see any benefit to either.

If it aint broke..don't fix it

oh wait a minute.....

I always thought this was a good idea Free Range Jailbirds // Current just me though...

True but sometimes the only way to fix something is to break it, a good analogy would be a horse or anal sex, once broken in its all good

True but sometimes the only way to fix something is to break it, a good analogy would be a horse or anal sex, once broken in its all good

I don't want to think about ass sex and prison...

See, America already has chain gangs, corporate work programs, solitary confinement, death row and consequetively served multi-decade sentences and yet all of these ridiculously harsh and extreme penalties seem to have little deterrent effect and the level of recidivism is high. This is why I don't see the point.

the cost of the prison should be earned back through prisoners doing manual labour (not the spanish waiter) like digging the roads. they have a debt to society so why should we pick up the tab.

There's actually very little public support for these kind of punishments, mostly due to people being afraid of criminals' presence in their communities.

Are you suggesting prison be combined with community service orders? What do you mean, at all, in fact?

why?

i dont mean to chain them up though

get them out there doing something so the prison is run like business.

or useful, like in China where prisoners are used as organ donors

And they have to fit through holes in a moving wall, now what can we do to them if they fail??

No, I was thinking that "Runners," convicted criminals, attempt to survive while being chased by "stalkers," executioners with ornate weaponry, costumes and nicknames. Members of the show's studio audience win prizes for selecting which stalker enters the zone or correctly picking the stalker who kills the runner. Runners who manage to evade the stalkers, it's said, are pardoned by the Justice Department.

No, I was thinking that "Runners," convicted criminals, attempt to survive while being chased by "stalkers," executioners with ornate weaponry, costumes and nicknames. Members of the show's studio audience win prizes for selecting which stalker enters the zone or correctly picking the stalker who kills the runner. Runners who manage to evade the stalkers, it's said, are pardoned by the Justice Department.

abit like battel royal meets banzai?

So we'd have something a bit like banzai but where the challenges are useful such as cleaning roads and cutting grass with a few really hazardous jobs thrown in whilst wearing nylon, which is in some way used to generate clean electric perhaps through kinetic or static energy this is stored in a battery attached to their back which uses small amounts of electricity to remotely shock them if they do bad things(the battery later gets used to power something worthwhile, like all those NEW PUBLIC TOILETS that they have built), the ones who die due to a malfunctioning battery pack or hazardous job get to donate organs. The ones who survive and do a good job get offered an apprenticeship or the chance to join an armed force the ones who aren't very good at anything at all get sent as missionaries to somalia or some other hole?