aberdeen-music

Identify a TV show from circa 1989-91 about European People Smuggling, Please.

Pierre Von Mondragon

I saw this programme back in the day of approx 89-91, about a semi dystopian European Union building a security fence round it to stop poor Eastern Europeans and other immigrants getting in (obviously it didn't envision the enlargement process that co-opted these countries). Over how ever many episodes some dude researched this people smuggling ring, blah, blah etc, but the reason it sticks in my mind is that in a mental final reveal, they find these caves in Poland that link with Germany as a smuggling route, and the crucial scene involves the dude wandering into this huge cavern piled high with human remains of thousands of would be refugees, who never made it further than the cave. My memory insists that this was a pretty good programme, and that it might be worth looking into finding it, but even my usually decent searching (poland germany people smuggling tv drama, and Fortress Europe border fence caves TV) hasn't yielded a result, so if anyone of the requisite age group has any ideas then please say, I've been wondering for years now.

I saw this programme back in the day of approx 89-91, about a semi dystopian European Union building a security fence round it to stop poor Eastern Europeans and other immigrants getting in (obviously it didn't envision the enlargement process that co-opted these countries). Over how ever many episodes some dude researched this people smuggling ring, blah, blah etc, but the reason it sticks in my mind is that in a mental final reveal, they find these caves in Poland that link with Germany as a smuggling route, and the crucial scene involves the dude wandering into this huge cavern piled high with human remains of thousands of would be refugees, who never made it further than the cave. My memory insists that this was a pretty good programme, and that it might be worth looking into finding it, but even my usually decent searching (poland germany people smuggling tv drama, and Fortress Europe border fence caves TV) hasn't yielded a result, so if anyone of the requisite age group has any ideas then please say, I've been wondering for years now.

That totally rings a bell but alas i'm having a similar age-related mental block as to what the bleeding program was called.

It sounds like Land of The Dead, if by Europe you mean Pittsburgh, and if by refugees you mean zombies.

Some time ago, a catastrophe destroyed much of human civilization. The recently dead, for an unknown reason, had returned to life and took the lives of the living. These "zombies" multiplied rapidly by adding to their ranks with every new victim. Several years later, the dead greatly outnumber the living. Many of the living in the vicinity have fled to the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where a feudal-like government has taken hold. Bordered on three sides by a large river and on the other by an electric barricade, the city has become a sanctuary against the undead threat. Fiddler's Green, the center of this city, is where the rich and powerful live in luxury while the rest of the population in the city lives in poverty. Paul Kaufman (Dennis Hopper) rules the city with an iron fist and overwhelming firepower.

• 7 years later...