aberdeen-music

Dananananaykrod + Support - Sun 24th May @ Moshulu

Complete rubbish, no one has to dance or do anything at a gig, i go to watch a band not to dance.

I didnt say you had to do dance as such, I said make a noise ie cheer, clap OR dance. I just feel embarrassed sometimes when awesome bands come up and a lot of people look like they couldnt give a shit.

Som from My Vitriol was saying they had to turn off their crowd lighting as it was scary that most people were just standing there staring.

Im not for a second suggesting people should be acting like arseholes and throwing beer etc as I hate that as much as anyone else, but just a little less reserved would be nice.

Like Saf-One says - their Leeds show was mad, if that happens to bands a lot of the time, then they'll think twice about coming here and surely no one wants that.

Guest idol_wild
Som from My Vitriol was saying they had to turn off their crowd lighting as it was scary that most people were just standing there staring.

Perhaps, but maybe if it wasn't evident that they were semi-miming then the crowd would have given a bit more respect and put a little bit more into it.

PS - Obviously, that was in no way a dig at you, Rossco! ;)

If a band put a load of energy into their live show, then I tend to respond accordingly. If they are static, have general sub-standard or repetitive between-song chat, and generally fail to perform then I will also respond accordingly. I always feel some noise and appreciation after each song is enough.

I fucking hate it when a performer asks "So how are you all doing tonight?"

I mean, what do they expect?

"Well, I had a visit to the doctor today in an effort to remove an in-grown hair on my hoop, and I ate a dodgy chicken and bacon salad from Marks & Spencer at lunchtime, but apart from that I'm not bad thanks. You?"

:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: I have never had an ingrown hair on my hoop. It was merely an example.

Perhaps, but maybe if it wasn't evident that they were semi-miming then the crowd would have given a bit more respect and put a little bit more into it.

PS - Obviously, that was in no way a dig at you, Rossco! ;)

If a band put a load of energy into their live show, then I tend to respond accordingly. If they are static, have general sub-standard or repetitive between-song chat, and generally fail to perform then I will also respond accordingly. I always feel some noise and appreciation after each song is enough.

I fucking hate it when a performer asks "So how are you all doing tonight?"

I mean, what do they expect?

"Well, I had a visit to the doctor today in an effort to remove an in-grown hair on my hoop, and I ate a dodgy chicken and bacon salad from Marks & Spencer at lunchtime, but apart from that I'm not bad thanks. You?"

:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: I have never had an ingrown hair on my hoop. It was merely an example.

Just out of interest, what would you consider as good in between song banter?

Me and Chang have always been pretty rubbish at it and tend to just thank folk for coming, and try and punt some CDs...

Guest idol_wild
Just out of interest, what would you consider as good in between song banter?

Me and Chang have always been pretty rubbish at it and tend to just thank folk for coming, and try and punt some CDs...

Anything funny and not just asking the audience how they are, really. Or telling the same anecdotes every single show. Obviously the latter only applies if I see the band more than once.

I am generally horrendous at between-song chat too, so I usually avoid it like the plague and just loop some nice guitar noise whilst I tune or whatever.

Saying thank you and advertising any merch is different. That is necessary. :up:

One of the best artists for between-song chat that I have seen is Kitchen Cynics. He always ends up making me guffaw like a fucking lunatic.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Anything funny and not just asking the audience how they are, really. Or telling the same anecdotes every single show. Obviously the latter only applies if I see the band more than once.

I am generally horrendous at between-song chat too, so I usually avoid it like the plague and just loop some nice guitar noise whilst I tune or whatever.

Saying thank you and advertising any merch is different. That is necessary. :up:

One of the best artists for between-song chat that I have seen is Kitchen Cynics. He always ends up making me guffaw like a fucking lunatic.

You did deliver the best ever inbetween song chat at the Tunnels in April though.

"I fucking hope you're in a band so I can chat through you're entire set."

Angry Phil is funny.

Guest idol_wild
You did deliver the best ever inbetween song chat at the Tunnels in April though.

"I fucking hope you're in a band so I can chat through you're entire fucking set."

Angry Phil is funny.

Fixed. ;)

Angry me is funny? So not menacingly belligerent then? Damn. I fail.

Fixed. ;)

Angry me is funny? So not menacingly belligerent then? Damn. I fail.

Nick and I pissed ourselves laughing and the guys you were threatening with your "chatting through their set" didn't even acknowledge you'd spoken, so I don't think it really worked unfortunately.

Gave us a laugh though.

Guest idol_wild
Nick and I pissed ourselves laughing and the guys you were threatening with your "chatting through their set" didn't even acknowledge you'd spoken, so I don't think it really worked unfortunately.

Gave us a laugh though.

Yeah, in hindsight, I don't think they were involved with any of the bands playing that night. :down:

So I just chatted all the way through The Underkills set instead.

WWAAAHHHAAAAAAYYY! ;)

It's a tough thing to carry off I think, the whole between song banter. It's all down to personality, charisma and stagecraft. Just because you play music or sing and have a mic in your hand doesnt mean you are 'funny' and a lot of the time bands come across as smug if they attempt humour. Either by alienating their audience with a wrongly pitched 'gag' or just being clichd. If you're not a funny person don't try be funny, i'm at your gig for the music not your jokes.

The worst thing ever tho is when a band, generally a young inexperienced band, is doing their soundcheck and think its funny to muck around instead of just saying one-two, etc. i.e. "1....2...1...2...1...73 ha ha ha ha". Or playing around with their instruments when all is needed is a nice clear sound so the sound guy can hear it properly.

The sound engineer has a job to do and that job will effect how your band sounds, take it seriously you cock.

Yeah, in hindsight, I don't think they were involved with any of the bands playing that night. :down:

So I just chatted all the way through The Underkills set instead.

WWAAAHHHAAAAAAYYY! ;)

Probably a good idea cos we were shit that night. I would have probably rather listened to your chat.

(You cunt)

Guest idol_wild
It's a tough thing to carry off I think, the whole between song banter. It's all down to personality, charisma and stagecraft. Just because you play music or sing and have a mic in your hand doesnt mean you are 'funny' and a lot of the time bands come across as smug if they attempt humour. Either by alienating their audience with a wrongly pitched 'gag' or just being clichd. If you're not a funny person don't try be funny, i'm at your gig for the music not your jokes.

The worst thing ever tho is when a band, generally a young inexperienced band, is doing their soundcheck and think its funny to muck around instead of just saying one-two, etc. i.e. "1....2...1...2...1...73 ha ha ha ha". Or playing around with their instruments when all is needed is a nice clear sound so the sound guy can hear it properly.

The sound engineer has a job to do and that job will effect how your band sounds, take it seriously you cock.

Good post. I shall add to that the situation where a member of the band mucks about with their instrument while the engineer is checking another instrument. It's even worse when a member of your own band is guilty of such misdemeanours. :down:

We actually discovered on or recent wee tour that our bass player Darren is the worlds funniest man during soundchecks. Honestly - giving that boy a microphone is danger! unfortunately I dont think anyone else would get his humour, judging by the bemused looks on the other bands faces as we rolled around in fits of laughter while he yells "TUCK SHOP. TTTUCKKK SSHHHOPPP-PAH. BROOOON SAASSSS FAE THE TUCK SHOP-AH"

incidentally Tuck Shop is actually an ideal phrase for soundchecks - "T", "SH" and "P" sounds all in one!

I didnt say you had to do dance as such, I said make a noise ie cheer, clap OR dance. I just feel embarrassed sometimes when awesome bands come up and a lot of people look like they couldnt give a shit.

Im not for a second suggesting people should be acting like arseholes and throwing beer etc as I hate that as much as anyone else, but just a little less reserved would be nice.

Like Saf-One says - their Leeds show was mad, if that happens to bands a lot of the time, then they'll think twice about coming here and surely no one wants that.

Maybe they dont think the band is as awesome as you do.

In my experiences of gigs up here, the crowd will be up for it, if the band has something to get them going, take The Nightmare of you Gig, Ghost the Juke box were amazing with great stage banter and the crowd were loving it, getting involved and moving about, nightmare of you came on and the atmosphere died a bit because they were not as good. I wont clap shite, even to be polite, why should i bother? It annoys me when ive played a shit gig and people tell me it was good so i dont do it to other bands.

Who's to say this band didnt play 10 times better in leeds and gave the impression they were more up for it?

Bands will always come up here, ive seen plenty bands say Aberdeen is one of their fav places to play because of the crowd, it wont change just because dannnananajhahanaa...... didnt enjoy their night quite as much as they could have.

Good post. I shall add to that the situation where a member of the band mucks about with their instrument while the engineer is checking another instrument. It's even worse when a member of your own band is guilty of such misdemeanours. :down:

I hate that, also when bands including my own waste time during sound checks playing entire songs, just a complete waste of time.

Never fuck about in a sound check, do your shit and be quiet in between, be quick about it but make sure your happy, thats my way anyway.

I hate that, also when bands including my own waste time during sound checks playing entire songs, just a complete waste of time.

Never fuck about in a sound check, do your shit and be quiet in between, be quick about it but make sure your happy, thats my way anyway.

Genevieve sound checks were amazing. Two or three chords each on clean and distortion/effects, a couple of bass licks, a run round the kit and 30 seconds of a song. All less than 10 mins including set-up. The slickest band i've ever been in.

We actually discovered on or recent wee tour that our bass player Darren is the worlds funniest man during soundchecks. Honestly - giving that boy a microphone is danger! unfortunately I dont think anyone else would get his humour, judging by the bemused looks on the other bands faces as we rolled around in fits of laughter while he yells "TUCK SHOP. TTTUCKKK SSHHHOPPP-PAH. BROOOON SAASSSS FAE THE TUCK SHOP-AH"

incidentally Tuck Shop is actually an ideal phrase for soundchecks - "T", "SH" and "P" sounds all in one!

Darren is a comedy genius, I've known this for about 10 years. As is twin brother Danny, but each in their own unique way. They could be the best double act ever.

Genevieve sound checks were amazing. Two or three chords each on clean and distortion/effects, a couple of bass licks, a run round the kit and 30 seconds of a song. All less than 10 mins including set-up. The slickest band i've ever been in.

now that sounds ace, i loved stayover sound checks, one guitar two noises, one bass and three vocals set to the same level piece of piss and took 10 mins max, kenetic i hated, so much fucking about and a few band members who thought playing a set was what was needed for sound check.

Different bands will obviously have different requirements for a soundcheck tho...

In our case we have 3 vox, 3 guitars with multi effects, bass, live kit, electronic kit & samples and synth. Its actually quite a simple set up, but obviously quite large in terms of desk requirements. With regards to that we've tried as best we can to have our own dedicated sound man for all our gigs.

Its not being big headed in thinking 'we need our own sound man' but more from a practical point of view...if all the equipment is working fine (not always a guarantee with various venues) we can get set up, check each instrument level and blast thorugh a verse and chorus of 2 different songs (we use the same two every soundcheck as they make use of each different element of the set up) in around 20 minutes give or take, depending on how much setting up is required kit wise and PA wise.

Sorry - just realised I've quoted the wrong quote but cant be assed changing it, you know what I mean!

ETA: THe point about having our own soundman means the whole process is FAR quicker as he knows what to expect, the quickest way of getting everything set up and how the soundcheck songs should sound. Sound guys working with us for the first time must freak out sometimes!

Different bands will obviously have different requirements for a soundcheck tho...

In our case we have 3 vox, 3 guitars with multi effects, bass, live kit, electronic kit & samples and synth. Its actually quite a simple set up, but obviously quite large in terms of desk requirements. With regards to that we've tried as best we can to have our own dedicated sound man for all our gigs.

Its not being big headed in thinking 'we need our own sound man' but more from a practical point of view...if all the equipment is working fine (not always a guarantee with various venues) we can get set up, check each instrument level and blast thorugh a verse and chorus of 2 different songs (we use the same two every soundcheck as they make use of each different element of the set up) in around 20 minutes give or take, depending on how much setting up is required kit wise and PA wise.

Sorry - just realised I've quoted the wrong quote but cant be assed changing it, you know what I mean!

oh aye of course, Stanely is a great example of what your speaking about as well, they do require more fucking about due to their set up, but bands with only guitars using a couple of effects shouldnt be fucking about on stage for half an hour getting that "sound". Just a pet hate of mine stemed from being in Kenetic i think, too much fucking about and not enough worrying about actually being able to play the songs.